Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Should they release something to reset perks for 360 users?

• 56 results
    SilverBulletKY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By SilverBulletKY

Sorry and PS3 users :>

I realize you can change this on PC but shouldn't we be able to use an item or something to reset our perks. Most people have no idea what they're going to do first time playing.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By SMTDante89

There are people that play this on PS3 as well, just wanted to point that out.  I imagine there might be something like that added in one of the expansions for the game, but I wouldn't know if they will or not.

SilverBulletKY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By SilverBulletKY

@SMTDante89: Sorry for leaving out PS3

Cataphract1014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Cataphract1014

They should release it for all platforms.

Just because I can get the eventual mod to reset perks, or I can use a console command, doesn't mean it shouldn't be in the game anyway.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Marz

nah, people should live with the decisions they make like buying the xbox version of the game :) j/k

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Samaritan

It seems like one of those things that'll eventually be folded into DLC, either as an item or an NPC.

vdortizo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By vdortizo

I think living with your decisions should be a part of life... Oh wait. It is...

briangodsoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By briangodsoe
    @Marz said:
    nah, people should live with the decisions they make like buying the xbox version of the game :) j/k
    A burden I'm all too happy to bear :) 

If you're unhappy with the way your character is progressing, reroll and think carefully about the kind of character you want to play. Chances are by the time you figure out that something is fucked you're only a few hours in and it won't set you back significantly. 
    Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Ravenlight

You should't be able to reset them but there should be a Sheogorath quest that completely randomizes them.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MikkaQ

Just start a new game, seems silly to re-spec your character, it's kinda poor role playing.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jozzy

Silly? Almost every modern RPG has a way to respec, and this one should have one too. Don't use it if you don't want to.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By mosdl

Make it $5 dlc.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Clonedzero

well ive restarted once cus i spent perks in destruction and decided i liked archery more, but it really wasn't a big deal and i probably would have been fine with the wasted perks, it was just one of those nagging OCD urges to make sure your perks are perfect.

i wouldnt really deem it necessary and i probably wouldnt use it, since im really careful with my perks now. but i dont see why not, make it a super expensive potion or something.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BraveToaster

I would like to re-tweak my character just a little bit; I wasted a few of my perk points.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

Unless you're like level 81, you can still go a different path. You can level up easy to level skills like enchant, smithing, illusion, pickpocket, sneak, alchemy and alteration. Then use the perks from the gained levels to go in a new direction. @Clonedzero said:

well ive restarted once cus i spent perks in destruction and decided i liked archery more, but it really wasn't a big deal and i probably would have been fine with the wasted perks, it was just one of those nagging OCD urges to make sure your perks are perfect.

i wouldnt really deem it necessary and i probably wouldnt use it, since im really careful with my perks now. but i dont see why not, make it a super expensive potion or something.

But then again, this dude makes an excellent point. So, maybe?
    BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BisonHero

@jozzy said:

Silly? Almost every modern RPG has a way to respec, and this one should have one too.

That's not even close to true.

sfighter21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By sfighter21

@briangodsoe: Yeah, that's what I did with speech. I only put one perk in there when realizing, "wait, these are all bartering perks". So I haven't put a point in there since. However, my speech is around 40 right now seeing as how much $h!t I sell. I've been thinking I may start putting points in there. Start getting more money for the things I sell.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SteamPunkJin

In this day and age there's no excuse for not having a respec option in your game - players have to sink huge amounts of time to level up and if you chose not to play with a guide there's a lot of guess work for stats/perks etc. There should always be the option for it - if you want to prevent abuse make it cost more and more each time.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It'd be cool to have I agree. Something very late game after a long quest.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By imsh_pl

This sounds like the complete opposite of roleplay and living with your choices.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#21  Edited By alistercat

@SteamPunkJin said:

In this day and age there's no excuse for not having a respec option in your game - players have to sink huge amounts of time to level up and if you chose not to play with a guide there's a lot of guess work for stats/perks etc. There should always be the option for it - if you want to prevent abuse make it cost more and more each time.

No, it is a legitimate design decision and there are legitimate reasons for not allowing it. You don't have to like it, but this is the game they wanted to make. Until people bitch and they release the DLC with that feature in there to boost sales.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jozzy

@BisonHero said:

@jozzy said:

Silly? Almost every modern RPG has a way to respec, and this one should have one too.

You know what. I got a little angry at this reply and started checking and to my great disappointment I have to admit you are right. Dragon Age added it in DLC, Dragon age 2 had it and Mass Effect 2 at least had it. But Fallout 3 and Alpha Protocol didn't, New Vegas apparently only your traits. This made me also realise I never actually do it, but I do understand that people want to be able to and I think all games should at least include the option. You can make it a reward for a pretty hard and long quest or something, but don't make people play a game over again if they want to re-assign some points.

SilverBulletKY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SilverBulletKY

@imsh_pl said:

This sounds like the complete opposite of roleplay and living with your choices.

Yes because in real life, once I decide that I want to specialize in heavy armor, I can never take that back and fully maximize light armor.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24  Edited By buft

@SilverBulletKY said:

@imsh_pl said:

Yes because in real life, once I decide that I want to specialize in heavy armor, I can never take that back and fully maximize light armor.

so true.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By imsh_pl
    @SilverBulletKY

@imsh_pl said:

Of course you can. I don't understand why you would think otherwise. You cannot, however, take back your decisions, instantly forget your skills and magically receive new ones at the same time.
    Silly argument is silly.
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MrKlorox

Comparing this to real life is the absolute stupidest way to rationalize either side.

BasketSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BasketSnake

I think they should allow us to change perks.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mikey87144

Am I the only one who banks their perks to see whether or not to use them on a specific tree? From the start of the game I pretty much held onto my perks until I knew I was making the right decision for my character. Even now at level 36 I have 4 perks to spend.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By BisonHero

@jozzy said:

@BisonHero said:

@jozzy said:

You know what. I got a little angry at this reply and started checking and to my great disappointment I have to admit you are right. Dragon Age added it in DLC, Dragon age 2 had it and Mass Effect 2 at least had it. But Fallout 3 and Alpha Protocol didn't, New Vegas apparently only your traits. This made me also realise I never actually do it, but I do understand that people want to be able to and I think all games should at least include the option. You can make it a reward for a pretty hard and long quest or something, but don't make people play a game over again if they want to re-assign some points.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to be a jerk, I just wanted to quickly point out that there are still a considerable amount of big budget, well known RPGs that don't let you respec. To add to your list, Torchlight doesn't let you respec, though it was like the very first mod ever made for that game, and the game itself strongly encourages you to try out mods. Any idea if The Witcher 1 or 2 let you respec?

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Robo

@MrKloroxsaid:

Comparing this to real life is the absolute stupidest way to rationalize either side.

Seriously.

This "it's an RPG, live with your decisions and restart" argument is just as dumb.

What makes more sense:

Being able to correct or alter decisions I was more or less forced to make blindly over the course of potentially a hundred plus hours. Even if it's a one-time change and/or a difficult undertaking in itself (if they were to make respeccing the result of a lengthy quest, for example).

or

Scrap the character you've built because you find yourself trapped with a bad spec, tossing all those hours down the drain and going through all the same shit again with a new character.

@imsh_pl said:

Of course you can. I don't understand why you would think otherwise. You cannot, however, take back your decisions, instantly forget your skills and magically receive new ones at the same time. Silly argument is silly.

Oh? Examples:

• I can go back to college and focus on a different major. It would just take a considerable amount of time, money, and effort and the result of that action isn't necessarily guaranteed to better my life.
    • I can trade in my car for a different model. Again it would be a considerable investment and the replacement might be a piece of shit.
    • I could end a relationship with one girl and pursue one with another...which turned out to be a goddamned nightmare, but that's another story.
    • I could learn Spanish and make it my primary language if i decide to move to Mexico. But learning a second language (as an adult) sucks.

Basically my argument is these sorts of personal decisions do NOT have to be permanent, just make respeccing a challenging option.

Permanent choice to join one faction instead of another? Sure.

No going back after deciding to kill an NPC instead of helping them? Absolutely.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MrKlorox

It's hypocritical for them to take out so many skills and gameplay elements for the sake of "streamlining," but completely leave out a respec quest. If devs are going to BS about it being the RPG genre evolving, then they must fully embrace it. Otherwise it's just a euphemism for consolization.

edit: fixed a typo

ckeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ckeats

I would love to use console commands on 360. After I finish my time in the game actually role playing and what not, I like to fuck around in the console and basically make a superman. Shenanigans ensue.
    My computer can barely run oblivion so it'll be years before I can do this on the pc version.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#33  Edited By delta_ass
    @imsh_pl said:
    Yeah, you're right. This game is all about living with your choices. 

*reloads save file from two days ago* 

Oh wait.
    Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

Sure, if the consol-ization of Skyrim, and previously Fallout 3, New Vegas and Oblvion, is any indication, consoles are all about handicapable gaming, so why not.

They should also add an option to just have the game play for you if you don't operate the controller for more than 30 seconds.

"We should give gamers an icon at the top showing which direction something is in."

"Definitely, but even if they know it's in that direction, they don't know how far away it is. How do we fix that?"

"Bigger icon!"

"Genius!"

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By imsh_pl
    @Robo said:

@imsh_pl said:

Of course you can. I don't understand why you would think otherwise. You cannot, however, take back your decisions, instantly forget your skills and magically receive new ones at the same time. Silly argument is silly.

Oh? Examples:

• I can go back to college and focus on a different major. It would just take a considerable amount of time, money, and effort and the result of that action isn't necessarily guaranteed to better my life.
    • I can trade in my car for a different model. Again it would be a considerable investment and the replacement might be a piece of shit.
    • I could end a relationship with one girl and pursue one with another...which turned out to be a goddamned nightmare, but that's another story.
    • I could learn Spanish and make it my primary language if i decide to move to Mexico. But learning a second language (as an adult) sucks.

Basically my argument is these sorts of personal decisions do NOT have to be permanent, just make respeccing a challenging option.

Permanent choice to join one faction instead of another? Sure.

No going back after deciding to kill an NPC instead of helping them? Absolutely.

I don't really understand why you're trying to argue my line of reasoning when it seems that you completely agree with me...

I'm saying that in real life it's not possible to learn certain skills and forget others in a blink of an eye... which is exactly what respecing your real life self would pretty much mean... and people try to somehow imply that I suggested that it's not possible to behave in a way which would contradict your previous decisions in life...?

Seriously, I feel like some people don't understand that life does not allow you to take back and redo things that have already been done... yet some try to argue that we can change the past...?

@Robo said:

@MrKloroxsaid:

Seriously.

Agreed.

@Delta_Ass said:
    @imsh_pl said:
    Yeah, you're right. This game is all about living with your choices.

I never said that.
    Lord_Rahl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Lord_Rahl

I don't have the time to read the entire thread, so sorry if I repeat anything. I believe they should because you might think you know what you want to place perks in, but only to find out it's not what you thought it was. For instance, I dumped alot of perks into enchantment only to find out in the end how limited and decieving the description of the perks were. I honestly feel cheated out of my perks and the fact that I can't reset them is just salt on the wound followed with a slap in the eye. I honestly enjoy the game but the thought of restarting just to build the characters perks differently with the same dialogue and story lines doesn't sound very appealing. I have always believed one of Bethesda's biggest downfalls was making their games not so limited as others but at the same time contradicting that with making it very limited in other annoying aspects.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MideonNViscera

The real life argument sucks. In real life there's no "cap" for "skill points".

So anyway, I'd like to respec because I used 3 points that I don't need anymore. I don't really care about the in-game logic, because there's always a billion holes in it anyway. Also, I couldn't get an hour into the game without breaking character to advance, so I really don't give a shit about the roleplaying either. I just want my 3 points back, but nowhere near enough to restart.

BlinkyTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BlinkyTM

You can just train the ones you want. There's no level cap (Unless you max everything out) so, level shouldn't be a problem.

GodsMistakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By GodsMistakeXx

Nah, people should live with what they chose. It's not like its that big of a deal anyway.

Deleth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Deleth

@MikkaQ said:

Just start a new game, seems silly to re-spec your character, it's kinda poor role playing.

Yeah, who cares about all the hours you invested. And let's just play the whole thing again, it's always fine to complete everything twice!

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MikkaQ

@Deleth said:

@MikkaQ said:

Yeah, who cares about all the hours you invested. And let's just play the whole thing again, it's always fine to complete everything twice!

You might as well use cheats at that point. It's just not in the game's rules. It would make an easy game too easy, and would completely remove the desire to replay the game at all.

Deleth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Deleth

@MikkaQ said:

@Deleth said:

@MikkaQ said:

You might as well use cheats at that point. It's just not in the game's rules. It would make an easy game too easy, and would completely remove the desire to replay the game at all.

Hurr durr derp I don't like any other opinions then mine so I simply compare them to cheating derp.

You do realize that what you're saying doesn't make any sense at all, right? From the very beginning there's hardly ever a "desire to replay" a heavily story based /exploration game. You already know the story, you know the locations and there aren't any new things to find. Someone who actually likes a option to respec, because they simply picked the wrong perks, want to try out something else, like to experiment or for whatever reason already gained all those levels.

Said player has already slain the number of enemies necessary, they have already completed all those quests and have done all the other stuff. They don't add anything to their game they simply redistribute something they've already gained.

If we follow through with your argumentation, you shouldn't be allowed to have more then one save game anyway. Actually saving in itself is cheating, since you died and thus should be forced to play the whole game again. Afterall your character is dead.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MikkaQ

@Deleth: Hurr Durr Durp? Really? REALLY? Are you seven or something?

Also I don't really understand your point. Replaying Skyrim is a big part of the appeal, and has always been for the whole Elder Scrolls series. Most RPGs in fact. The idea is you try new races, new playstyles, make different choices in the game, etc. Skyrim isn't the same every time, dungeons in quests are randomly assigned, and you're not going to see every tiny piece of content in one playthrough.

How would saving be cheating, if it's allowed in the game? Re-specing isn't, so it would be cheating. Seems pretty simple to me.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Hitchenson

Nope, shouldn't have a re-spec. Meaningful decisions towards your character son.

Deleth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Deleth

@Hitchenson said:

Nope, shouldn't have a re-spec. Meaningful decisions towards your character son.

Then you shouldn't be able to reload either, meaning decisions and stuff.

wubb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By wubb

Not being able to reset leads me to carefully consider each perk I spend. I'm level 38 or so and have 7 or 8 perks banked because there is nothing currently available I want to 'buy'. If I could reset I'd probably be more liberal with immediately doling them out, which might be more fun, but I don't have a strong feeling either way.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Hitchenson

@Deleth said:

@Hitchenson said:

Yeah, when I die I should wipe all my saves. That's totally the same thing.

Deleth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Deleth

@Hitchenson said:

@Deleth said:

@Hitchenson said:

Yeah, when I die I should wipe all my saves. That's totally the same thing.

Save before an important decisions, before an important fight or other stuff and you trivialize it. If you want to make meaningful decisions you shouldn't be able to reload. If you screw up big time and die, why should you be allowed to reload?

It's the same thing you're advocating here, just taken one step further. :)

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By strainedeyes
    @MikkaQ

@Deleth said:

@MikkaQ said:

But what's wrong with the option being there for people who want to use it? It wouldn't detract from your experience in any way.
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#50  Edited By ajamafalous

Why is this even an argument? Let people respec if they want to. If you want to RP that there is no respec and you have to live with your decisions, then simply ignore the feature.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.