Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

The problem about skyrim

Fyllikall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Fyllikall

Skyrim as we all know is a huge game! And it has its problems... and I'm not going to complain about "trivial" stuff like framerate, graphics, save files, bugs (which are fewer then i anticipated) because its a great game.

The thing is that while i played around 40 hours I am falling out of sync with the game immersiveness. As a student in history I just cant get over the fact that the city of Windhelm is made of stone and everybody lives in stone houses and the game frequently reminds you how cold it is... wait are all the people retarded, stone houses are the coldest places to be, living in snow houses would be smarter. The game immersiveness has made me ask myself about all the small details of the world, and I'm not saying that those should be fixed, and making Windhelm a stone city is smart from design point of view. But the nord accents on whole are bothersome, wait the guards are german? Nothing wrong with that but please make the rest sound german, and none of you dare think that Jarl Ulfric is speaking with scandinavian accent. The voice actor is from eastern Europe and his accent is as such... if that dude would come to denmark he would be lynched for making Ironclad the shittiest movie ever made by replacing danish with hungarian.

Now I know some of you dont care, I'm just saying that believing in this world that is so believable gets bothersome because you start to look for the small flaws.

I'm not saying that the Nords should speak scandinavian... because the game would be comical. Does not pain me to say that scandinavian accents are horrible for speaking english.

It may be that I'm nitpicking, but coming from my nordic country and knowing what every noun they say in skyrim and what it means has maybe raised my expectations to unreachable levels.

But I'm going to play anyway, accents be damned, the game gives me fucking dragons to kill... FUCKING DRAGONS... and some Draugr and crazy treas.

Yet all the way I will be "only" 99% immersed in the game... you could say that its like getting laid while not ejaculating :D

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The snow is magical, it's not actually that cold.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jetsetwillie

i would imagine if your worrying about this kind of thing then you've not been laid in a loooong time

Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Twitchey

Wait..... What? 

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By LordXavierBritish

I think the main point to take away from this is don't get a degree in history if you enjoy things.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By BraveToaster

Scandinavia doesn't exist in Elder Scrolls... sorry.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Barrock

@LordXavierBritish said:

I think the main point to take away from this is don't get a degree in history if you enjoy things.

Kinda, yeah.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MikkaQ

@Axxol said:

Scandinavia doesn't exist in Elder Scrolls... sorry.

This. They can any accents they want. Regional accents, whatever. It's their world. Same with the stone houses, nords probably don't care because they have a natural frost resistance.

danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By danimal_furry

Most norse stuff was built of wood and insulated with earth. But stone makes sense when talking about major fortifications. Maybe they used a stone-dirt-stone configuration for walls to provide some insulation.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
    deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Question: The problem about skyrim?

Answer: It's to damn good.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mazik765

dude...magic. Nothing in this game actually happened.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Azteck

People walk around without sleeves and stuff.. I wouldn't worry if I were you

Killerfridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Killerfridge

All the fire from the dragons keeps them warm, geez...

Marnox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By Marnox
    @Fyllikall said:

It may be that I'm nitpicking, but coming from my nordic country and knowing what every noun they say in skyrim and what it means has maybe raised my expectations to unreachable levels.

I agree with what you are saying there. So many names in Skyrim acutally mean things in swedish/danish/norwegian and those accents really make the game so... well facepalm-y if that's a word. 
    They must have done some research into Nordic and Germanic culture, but not executed it well enough (?) I mean, the game is so well made and so few people will notice these things - unless you know it.
    duder123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By duder123

Swede here, a lot of the nords do actually have a heavy swedish accent

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By Klei

I'll say one thing ; the guys who built this game probably have no idea what cold weather is. For instance, why isn't there a cold breath to your character? Why aren't his cheeks and nose reddened? I've been living in snow my whole life, and trust me, this game doesn't embrace the fact that it SHOULD be cold as fuck enough. This breaks the immersion for me, I don't believe nor feel like I'm interacting in a cold world. Sure, it's nitpicking, the game is still supremely awesome, but as for immersion, I don't feel it at all.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By N7

I wasn't aware The Elder Scrolls were supposed to be realistic. Could have fooled me, with magic, dragons and the two moons thing, but I'm not falling for it.

briangodsoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By briangodsoe

Nords have a resistance to cold. They could live in paper bags and still be okay. The elves, imperials, redguard, kajiit, and argonians just need to nut up. 

The biggest problem with this game, I would rather live out my existance as my greatsword wielding, dragon slaying, treasure hunting, werewolf, Nord badass then my normal life. I want my life back!

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By ajamafalous

Fictional universe where the laws of physics that we know do not necessarily apply.

thornie_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By thornie_delete

The only problem with Skyrim is when you are on one quest then get bombarded with 20 minor and major side quests while just carrying out the ONE quest you were on. It gets annoying and overwhelming. Although, some would argue that's what makes Skyrim so great.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By cornbredx

The only problem so far with this game is not being able to stop playing. Every time you try something else awesome or amazing happens.

This whole OP is a nit pick haha =P

fini_fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By fini_fly

I love how this breaks the immersion and not the fact that you can pack-mule seemingly hundreds of pounds of gear around, pause the game in the middle of the action to down some potions, eat food, or change your armor and weaponry.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By oraknabo

I actually have the exact opposite problem. It bothers me that I'm walking around in a world full of elves, orcs, cat and lizard people, giants and zombies with two moons in the sky and hey, there's a real, historical-looking longship. I wish this game was a little more alien and not just where the Nords are Teutonic analogues, imperials are Roman, Bretons are Celt/British, etc.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#25  Edited By project343

That city looks so Nord-y. At some point, you have to ditch practicality and go for style.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By artelinarose

Sure, stone houses are cold. That's why every single one has a big ass fire in the center of it.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Deusx

10/10

SpacePenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SpacePenguin

You assume that all the variables of this world apply there. Snow is not the same there and Europe doesnt exist. There is no such thing as a scandinavian accent or english language. 

This is a fictional universe, if thats the way they speak then thats the accent of Skyrim.

theredace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By theredace

So.....the complaint is that the people who are not from Scandinavia.....don't have a Scandinavian accent? That's it, I'm done with this game.

Bethesda did the accents correctly. If every culture in the game had a recognizable accent then we (players) would say "Windhelm is Scandinavian, Whiterun is German, Winterhold is Eastern European" etc. That breaks the immersion WAY more than having a mixture of accents. Yet at the same time, if you say that the characters in the game should have unique accents made up for the game because it's a unique world, then we end up with a bunch of characters that sound like crazy people.

@Klei said:

I'll say one thing ; the guys who built this game probably have no idea what cold weather is. For instance, why isn't there a cold breath to your character? Why aren't his cheeks and nose reddened? I've been living in snow my whole life, and trust me, this game doesn't embrace the fact that it SHOULD be cold as fuck enough. This breaks the immersion for me, I don't believe nor feel like I'm interacting in a cold world. Sure, it's nitpicking, the game is still supremely awesome, but as for immersion, I don't feel it at all.

Seriously? The face of the guy/girl that you never see the entire game...you want them to spend processing power on procedural skin coloration and breath particles based on world temperature? If your character was breathing cold air at all times it would just become this obtrusive effect over your screen that never goes away and people would complain about it and Bethesda would end up patching it out or adding a toggle to turn it off.
    Jothel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By Jothel

@Fyllikall said:

Now I know some of you dont care,

you're right, i don't care

Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#31  Edited By Addfwyn

I'm more curious why my khajit can go swimming in water with ice floating in it, come out the other side and resume a cross-country hike and never get sick. I actually kinda thought that I'd take damage or something the first time I hopped into water.

Apparently medicine in the world is supremely advanced and has wiped out almost every pathogen and bacteria except the handful of diseases that wildlife carry. Or you know...magic!

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By haggis

So, you're not going to grouse about the trivial stuff. Alright. You're going to grouse about the important stuff. Like accents. And the absence of igloos.

Gotcha. Funny. Oh, wait. Are you serious? I honestly can't even tell.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Klei

@theredace If you are to emulate cold, then yes, your character should have a cold breath and reddened facial traits. The latter is not very hard to produce, it's just the skin tone. Also, not all regions of Skyrim are minus zero, so cold breath should only be where there is snow and blizzards. I mean, look. I get what you mean that it is, in the end, just nitpicking. But this IS a nitpicking thread, and we express our views on this. I've been living in snow since 25 years, and this game doesn't portray cold weather at all.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By artelinarose

@Klei said:

Also, not all regions of Skyrim are minus zero, so cold breath should only be where there is snow and blizzards.

I live in Washington, just across the water from Seattle. It's 38f out and I can see my breath if I go outside.

but why would i even do that

ProLife_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ProLife_Zombie

@Fyllikall:

I don't know if you're a fan of Neal Stephenson, but he has a new book out called Reamde. One of the characters is an autistic programmer who is so disgusted with the way geology is portrayed in video games that he invents a whole new game engine that accurately takes into account things like continental drift, and rock formations over centuries.

You should check it out. It's a cool book about MMOs and talks about other ridiculous things like the way spoons and bowls and even arrows are all comically oversized in video games because if they weren't they would be impossible to see.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By mosdl

There is also no snowman building skilltree, totally unrealistic.

sjosz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By sjosz

I am not a man. I'm a weapon in human form. Just unsheathe me and point me at the enemy.

Fyllikall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Fyllikall

@LordXavierBritish: Amen to that!

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Same with metal armor, just don't think about it.

Fyllikall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Fyllikall

I know that in this game you find catpeople... and some lizardmen, which sounds ridiculous but they still make it cool (to the extent they can make catpeople cool)... and yes its their game and they can do what the fuck they want with it... but its so good that you kinda expect it to be perfect... thats what I'm saying... and I wouldnt care if the nords would sound like south-africans, because its a fictional world and the linguistics of it are open to any conclusion. Im not badmouthing the game... just saying that its too good and these flaws I see are very trivial compared to other games where you wouldnt see them because you would see other HUGE flaws.

Fyllikall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Fyllikall

@mazik765: So youre telling me Lord of the rings didnt happen? Youre a bummer :)

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#42  Edited By Jayzilla

Ya hey there!

Divina_Rex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Divina_Rex

Nit-picky much? Really, if you want to complain about that then maybe you should also complain about how the shield's handle is located in the middle of the back instead of off to the side and having a strap for the forearm in the middle. But, you know what, the game's artists don't necessarily know engineering or anything else of an entirely different field so it's not a problem.

theguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By theguy

@Marnox said:

@Fyllikall said:

I agree with what you are saying there. So many names in Skyrim acutally mean things in swedish/danish/norwegian and those accents really make the game so... well facepalm-y if that's a word. They must have done some research into Nordic and Germanic culture, but not executed it well enough (?) I mean, the game is so well made and so few people will notice these things - unless you know it.

But they're not trying to recreate Nordic and Germanic culture they're trying to create Skyrim ( ish?) culture. There isn't a whole lot of consistency in the accents in skyrim but maybe it differs greatly depending on where in skyrim, or Tamriel, you grew up. This is a mythical land, the accants are just another quirk.

For clarity: I'm not talking about straight up bad voice acting here just weird accents.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By mandude

I did notice the accents being out of sync with each other, but it doesn't break my immersion any more than hearing Jim Cumming's voice on every second character.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.