Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

This is supposed to be really good but i don't get it

• 151 results
    phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By phrali

this is my first elder scrolls game. i've been playing for 4 hours and i don't understand how this is such a great game and maybe i'm missing something, but i'm going to list some stuff that is driving me nuts, what am i doing wrong?

1. i spent like 20 minutes customizing my face with cool warpaint and all and now i can't even figure out how to look at my guy in the game. do i ever actually get to see my character again?

2. the combat feels really shoddy and unresponsive. i feel like i'm swinging at thin air and i can't even tell if i'm hitting my target unless i look at their health bar because there doesn't seem to be any response from the enemies. they just stand there and take hits until the bar runs out. also, i can't figure out how far away i have to be from the enemy to not get hit and there doesn't seem to be any dodging mechanic or anything like that. i feel like i'm playing dead island again and that is NOT good.

3. the first dragon i saw in dark souls on the bridge, it was like "holy shit that thing is epic" and it lit me on fire and i was dead. the first dragon i saw in skyrim blew open a wall in that tower. so i stood there and looked at and it breathed fire on me and i didn't even take any damage and i was like "really am i supposed to be intimidated?" and it just seemed really puny compared to that big scary dragon in the commercial.

4. did the executioner really moonwalk over to his victim? that's the first freaking scene! did they test this game and say "oh moonwalking is cool we don't need to fix that" is this 2011? have we not discovered walking animations yet?

5. whenever i open a menu, i find myself mashing buttons because there seems to be a 2 second delay between opening a menu and the game actually accepting input and letting me scroll or choose a menu item.

i don't even know if i want to continue playing this game. the combat is just SO unresponsive and boring and loose. i just stand in front of the bad guy and mash RT until it dies. i don't understand why bethesda thought this was acceptable or how people are saying this is GOTY material. why didn't they just have a turn based random encounter system if they clearly didn't try to make a high quality combat system? i'm not even interested in the story if the combat is this horrible. i could forgive every other flaw i listed if the combat was fun, but it isn't. am i doing something wrong?

wtf am i missing? am i supposed to ignore all this stuff?

i'm really trying to enjoy this game, but i just spent the last 10 minutes murdering everyone in riverwood out of frustration. except for those 2 little invincible fireproof kids that i didn't even know i was wasting my time trying to kill because i forgot that i have to stare at the health bar to tell if i'm actually hitting anything.

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By phrali

also i forgot to mention that i've gotten stuck in geometry twice already and had to restart.

and why the hell is there no infinite sprint? it's great that there's a huge open world but it would be a lot nicer if i could walk faster than a frekaing turtle for more than 5 seconds

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By jayjonesjunior

@phrali said:

and why the hell is there no infinite sprint? it's great that there's a huge open world but it would be a lot nicer if i could walk faster than a frekaing turtle for more than 5 seconds

the "huge open world" would be a lot less impressive if you could sprint through it like the Flash.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By Bwast

Games aren't made for everyone.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By DeF

maybe you should learn from this that you shouldn't flat out buy a game just because everyone is hyped. do some research if it's part of an established franchise.

what you're describing sounds like the typical bethesda jankiness and bug-fare so that's nothing new.

nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By nail1080

Joke Topic~:

6/10

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By Marz

I'm having a blast, too bad for you :)

Avatar image for mexican_brownie
    Mexican_Brownie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Mexican_Brownie

Why did you buy it? It's not like it is significantly different from other Bethesda games. You should have known whether you were going to like the game or not. If you are not enjoying it now, maybe you should stop and go play something else. Some games are not meant for everyone.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DonPixel

@phrali said:

3. the first dragon i saw in dark souls on the bridge, it was like "holy shit that thing is epic" and it lit me on fire and i was dead.

Opinions bro, after giving it a fair chance to Dark Souls I dont see what the fuzz is all about. That game has:

-poor visuals and generic artstyle

-clunky animations and frustrating combat

-Mheee sound design

-Generic plain enviroments

-Lame lore

-Very poor to none story or narrative elements.

Aparently the whole dificulty and cero information is some kind of genius design idea that makes Dark Souls so epic, I honestly cant see the apeal of that game other than say you are a super duper hardcore gamer whilling to sufer your way trough it.. so cool story I guess... Godspeed to those who like it.

also this:

@Bwast said:

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BraveToaster

I haven't had a two second delay in the menu.

Increase the difficulty.

Or you can always get a refund.

phrali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By phrali

@DeF said:

what you're describing sounds like the typical bethesda jankiness and bug-fare so that's nothing new.

that's just sad. really. it's sad that everyone seems to think all these problems are acceptable for some reason. i don't understand.

oh well. i'm gonna give it a shot for a few more hours tonight but this is probably getting sold to gamestop tomorrow.

cinemandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By cinemandrew

@phrali: Apparently, you don't get it.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RsistncE

OP has a point about some major fucking flaws in Bethesda games. How people can just look past all that and say that the game is the best that's come out this year is ridiculous. Are gamers that stereotypically nerdy that all it takes to get them to look past a shit game is to give it a fantasy-RPG theme?

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By shiftymagician

@RsistncE said:

OP has a point about some major fucking flaws in Bethesda games. How people can just look past all that and say that the game is the best that's come out this year is ridiculous. Are gamers that stereotypically nerdy that all it takes to get them to look past a shit game is to give it a fantasy-RPG theme?

Some of us are satisfied enough about just how large the world actually is, as well as all the things you can do. Hardly any other developer ever goes this far and knowing this, it is amazing that it actually came out without being completely broken (at least for me, had only a few hilarious issues that fixed itself out eventually and only once had to reload a save to get a dungeon puzzle to trigger). Just a subjective opinion about it but as other people said, this game isn't for everyone.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jking47

@RsistncE said:

I seriously doubt the fantasy-RPG theme is what keeps people happy. Fallout has the same kinds of issues and that is not fantasy at all. Maybe the huge, open world and all the awesome emergent gameplay that happens? I have heard of horses fighting dragons. HOW DOES THAT NOT APPEASE YOU?!?

Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Punk1984

The people who complain about the bugs are missing the point, you guys are complaining about a crack in a joist of the freaking Sistine chapel.

Maybe it isn't for you, maybe you don't like good things, maybe you want to hate the game because it will make you feel cool, maybe you should sell it back to Gamestop so you lose your investment in a brilliant flash of "meh."

Or maybe you don't know how good a thing you've got going with that disc.

Sidenote: All the people with bugs what platform are you playing on. The only bug I've hit was a scripted sequence in the opening not triggering.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b
    deactivated-5d8bd173e1e3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ShiftyMagician said:

@RsistncE said:

Some of us are satisfied enough about just how large the world actually is, as well as all the things you can do. Hardly any other developer ever goes this far and knowing this, it is amazing that it actually came out without being completely broken (at least for me, had only a few hilarious issues that fixed itself out eventually and only once had to reload a save to get a dungeon puzzle to trigger). Just a subjective opinion about it but as other people said, this game isn't for everyone.

This name one other game with a world this big with so much to do and i'll bite the bullet.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mordukai

@phrali:

1. You can always switch to the 3rd person camera view.
    2. Nothing new here. The combat system, melee in particular, hasn't changed much since Morrowind. They did improve the ranged and magic.
    3. I don't think the first dragon is suppose to impress you but just give you an introduction to the game.
    4. It's bethesda, get used to lazy animation.
    5. Could be just game lag or a bug. Again, it's Bethesda. Get used to bugs.

Give it about 10 more hours and if by then you find yourself still getting bored and completely uninterested then give it up because this game could be not for you.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    Guys, this is why i love the Giantbomb community. Instead of telling this dude to go fuck himself, you actually try to reason with him. And that's awesome, futile, but awesome.
    gesi1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By gesi1223

A big emmersive world would be much more fun to explore if the 'vehicle' you used to get around it wasn't a piece of shit.

Personally, if i'm going to be playing a game, i'd want the gameplay to be something to enjoy as well as the setting it's put into. Obviously we're never going to get that out of a Bethesda game though, so oh well I just won't buy anything from them anymore.

GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By GuyIncognito

The game engine looks really dated.  The body animations look very artificial and stiff.  The character models and facial animations look extremely dated (was I spoiled by L.A. Noire?).  The game basically looks like a Fallout 3 mod, but somehow uglier.

SpencerTucksen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SpencerTucksen
    @ShiftyMagician said:

@RsistncE said:

I agree with both, really. I find certain things to be annoying (it isn't THAT hard to make hit detection better) and inconveniencing, but I do find the stories and gameplay to be most important. I don't really have much interest in this game anyway, but it's still some stuff that CAN be overlooked by people who love the story, and that's what the people who enjoy it do. They don't care about the problems, even though I think that the problems are definitely fixable.

@Mordukai said:

@phrali:

1. You can always switch to the 3rd person camera view.
    2. Nothing new here. The combat system, melee in particular, hasn't changed much since Morrowind. They did improve the ranged and magic.
    3. I don't think the first dragon is suppose to impress you but just give you an introduction to the game.
    4. It's bethesda, get used to lazy animation.
    5. Could be just game lag or a bug. Again, it's Bethesda. Get used to bugs.

Give it about 10 more hours and if by then you find yourself still getting bored and completely uninterested then give it up because this game could be not for you.

1. You still can't see the face. The camera pans constantly so that you can't see the face.
    2. But if people don't want to be ranged, it's kinda boring since there's no hit detection and you don't FEEL like you're using a mace or whatever, which takes some people out of games.
    3. Agreed. THough I do still find the dragons to be less than stellar.
    4. People shouldn't have to get used to the lazy animation. Take an extra six months to release the game and handle that. The game will still sell like hot cakes, but there won't be so many people complaining about the lazy animation.
    5. Again, shouldn't have to get used to it. It's something that should have been handled.

But hey, maybe that's just me. And I agree on your final point that it may just not be for him.
    Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @GuyIncognito said:
    The game engine looks really dated.  The body animations look very artificial and stiff.  The character models and facial animations look extremely dated.  The game basically looks like a Fallout 3 mod, but somehow uglier.
    ... 0/10.
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RsistncE

@ICryCauseImEmo said:

@ShiftyMagician said:

@RsistncE said:

This name one other game with a world this big with so much to do and i'll bite the bullet.

This argument is one of quantity over quality. I don't know why, but it seems that people would rather play 100 hours of relatively mediocre gameplay over 6 hours of tightly scripted well put together gameplay. It's like choosing 100 pounds of horse shit over 1 pound of gold. I can't agree with this sentiment in any way but hey, if the majority of people seem to favour it then all I can do is wish it wasn't so and move on.

Beaudacious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Beaudacious

This reeks of new age gamer. If you can't appreciate what Bethesda does with its games, then please stick to Gears , and Dark Souls. This is an RPG, an Adventure in a fantastical world. If your response to that is omfg why can't i pull a gruesome 10 hit combo on that troll, then trade in Skyrim now while it still holds value on week one. Also there's a difficulty slider, if you want to be one shotted by a dragons breath you can make it happen.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By august

@RsistncE said:

@ICryCauseImEmo said:

@ShiftyMagician said:

@RsistncE said:

This argument is one of quantity over quality. I don't know why, but it seems that people would rather play 100 hours of relatively mediocre gameplay over 6 hours of tightly scripted well put together gameplay. It's like choosing 100 pounds of horse shit over 1 pound of gold. I can't agree with this sentiment in any way but hey, if the majority of people seem to favour it then all I can do is wish it wasn't so and move on.

Or you could post you disdain over and over and over again on internet forums.

That seems more likely from your past behavior.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
    deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phrali said:

@DeF said:

that's just sad. really. it's sad that everyone seems to think all these problems are acceptable for some reason. i don't understand.

oh well. i'm gonna give it a shot for a few more hours tonight but this is probably getting sold to gamestop tomorrow.

Games are always perfect!

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#28  Edited By Seppli

@phrali:

I always understood the fascination for Elder Scrolls games. I'm on-board day 1 since Morrowind. Though I never 'got it' either. I always hope I will and this time around I might. Just try to get past your peeves and immerse yourself in the world. Even if you don't get it after trying, it's worth trying all the same. I quit Morrowind after contracting Morrowind's equivalent of AIDS and in Oblivion I played an Archer who eventually ran out of arrows halfway through the game...

My hope for the genre is Kingdoms of Amalur : Reckoning and the direction it takes. Melding God-of-War-like action combat with the depth and scale of Elder Scrolls.

gesi1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By gesi1223

The people defending Skyrim like it's actually well put together video game make me wonder what we'll be getting in the next 5 years of games. Hopefully not the same thing, but who knows? "Hardcore gamers" will buy anything these days.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#30  Edited By AndrewB

Skyrim had me the moment that opening scene unfolded and a person randomly went flying through the air in all his ragdoll glory. I think he may have been exploded. Just caught it out of the corner of my eye and burst out laughing.

But seriously. If melee combat is getting you down, try playing a mage. What type of mage is completely up to you.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#31  Edited By CL60
    @gesi1223 said:

The people defending Skyrim like it's actually well put together video game make me wonder what we'll be getting in the next 5 years of games. Hopefully not the same thing, but who knows? "Hardcore gamers" will buy anything these days.

It is a well put together game? ... A few bugs don't really mean much.
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By august

@SpencerTucksen: You should be able to click in a stick or something to pan the camera yourself. That's the way it worked in the last two games.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Why do people get so defensive whenever someone posts anything negative about this game. Is it completely inconcievable that someone goes into a game not wanting to have to tolerate all its bull shit in order to enjoy it?

Why is it that Bethesda gets a pass on this shit when every other developer is held to a higher standard.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By mrfizzy

@Seppli: Wow, thanks for putting that up. Have never even heard of this game but am now investigating further.

As for Elder Scrolls games, i like to think that despite all the bugs there are really no where near as many as i would expect for a gameworld of that size. As for improved hit detection, it could probs be better but overall the stories and characters in the world make up for any let down in gameplay.

Lotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Lotus

Yo! hit "R", go 3rd person and rotate that shit homeboy. 

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Azteck

I will agree with you on the combat point, it feels, at times, like there's just nothing there except a dropping life-bar. A stumble from the enemies would make a world of difference, any form of reaction letting you know that "bro, getting slashed with a greatsword kinda fucking hurts", but I'll deal with it. Other than that, I don't really agree with your points but opinions are what they are. Some games just aren't for everyone.

gunstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By gunstar

@DonPixel said:

@phrali said:

3. the first dragon i saw in dark souls on the bridge, it was like "holy shit that thing is epic" and it lit me on fire and i was dead.

Opinions bro, after giving it a fair chance to Dark Souls I dont see what the fuzz is all about. That game has:

-poor visuals and generic artstyle

-clunky animations and frustrating combat

-Mheee sound design

-Generic plain enviroments

-Lame lore

-Very poor to none story or narrative elements.

Aparently the whole dificulty and cero information is some kind of genius design idea that makes Dark Souls so epic, I honestly cant see the apeal of that game other than say you are a super duper hardcore gamer whilling to sufer your way trough it.. so cool story I guess... Godspeed to those who like it.

also this:

@Bwast said:

I'm just going to quote this and say, "10/10 would rage again" because this has to be a joke.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By PixelPrinny

@RsistncE said:

@ICryCauseImEmo said:

@ShiftyMagician said:

@RsistncE said:

What a terrible analogy. Yes, clearly we have all convinced ourselves that this 100 pounds of "horseshit" is delicious, because we're just that crazy. It must be Stockholm Syndrome, right?

Personally, I didn't enjoy Oblivion very much outside of the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild quest lines. To me, it was boring, ugly, and aimless (which, hey, I'm sure many will say about Skyrim. All the power to em). Skyrim, on the other hand, I've found to be really enjoyable so far. Am I desperate for a fantasy-themed RPG? Hell no. I'm in the midst of an RPGathon with plenty of such games to play. What I'm enjoying are the quest lines, the improvements to combat, the lore, the immersion, and even the graphics. It's so nice to have a hero that actually looks really cool (unlike Oblivion). I find myself playing in 3rd person outside of combat just so I can see how badass she looks. I am willing to put in a great number of hours not because I am dying for quantity, but because the quality is such that time flies by while playing it.

Are there glitches and bugs? Sure, but that's besides the point. Most games have bugs or minor issues that we overlook, because they don't take away enough from the experience to matte significantly. This argument that some have been putting forth in here that boils down to, "It's sad that people have come to expect and overlook the glitches in Bethesda games" is just silly. If you enjoy something, why shouldn't you overlook those issues and not let them ruin your experience? Yes, we would all love less glitches in our games, that goes without saying, but for many of us, it's not important enough to freak out about. No, we're not "settling", we're just more concerned with things like the story and lore and we always have been. Again, this argument is silly and complete besides the point.

Skyrim is a great game. It's not for everyone, but no game is. If you don't enjoy it, that's cool. Move on and find games you do love. But don't waste your breath trying to tell people who enjoy it they're wrong or they're settling out of desperation because you just don't "get it".

@SpencerTucksen:

1. You still can't see the face. The camera pans constantly so that you can't see the face.

It only does that if you have your weapon drawn. Put way your weapon and you can stare at your face all day long. Or rather, you can stare at it until the "Screensaver mode" kicks in and it pans around you 360 degrees until you press something.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

#39  Edited By Raven10

To your arguments:

1. There is a third person camera. In previous games it was activated by clicking in one of the sticks. You can look at your character that way.

2. I liked the system they had in Daggerfall. They also had more complexity in Morrowind. But Oblivion and this seem to just require you to mash the attack button. It's the problem with moving to consoles. There isn't a good way to do the Ultima Underworld style of combat on a console and still give you full camera control, so Bethesda has chosen to simply remove it. It's a shame, but I don't think people play this game for the combat. It's an RPG not an action game. The lack of feedback from enemies is a problem, but again, it is a problem with many RPG's. Honestly I agree with you. I find the combat boring so I don't play these games. I get what people like about them, but like you I can't get over how boring the game is to actually play.

3. I can't comment on this as I haven't played the game. If you want some deadly dragons play the 90's Might and Magic games. Good luck taking down those. They like to come in packs of like 100 and one is enough to kill you.

4. It is a problem that there are so many bugs, but realize that due to the insane amount of content in this game it is simply impossible to iron out every glitch. Be glad you aren't playing Morrowind or earlier. Several times playing Morrowind the entire world just randomly disappeared, or the cities decided to float into the sky, or the ground gave way and I was just lost in a blue nothingness. Trust me, if the worst thing you have encountered is a moonwalking enemy then Bethesda has definitely improved its tech since the 90's.

5. Again, can't comment because I haven't played the game, but watching the quicklook earlier it didn't seem like there was any delay between when Brad was hitting the button and the menu was opening.

I think what everyone else has said is wise. Bethesda games aren't for everyone. If you like games that reward quick reflexes or contain explosive combat then Bethesda games just won't be for you. The fun people find in them is the huge open world and the great emergent gameplay moments that come from them. Probably the best moment of a Bethesda game for most people is when you come out of whatever dungeon you start the game in, and you see a huge world spanning miles into the distance and you realize that if you walk long enough, those mountains in the distance aren't just textures, they are actual mountains that you can climb on. And you don't have to wait for 20 hours to go there. If you want to you can go to those mountains right now. Along the way you'll probably discover more quests than there are total in most RPG's, and you'll get sidetracked and do hundreds of things before you end up reaching those mountains hours later and realize you still haven't actually gotten anywhere in the game. That is the appeal of this game. If that moment where you step out and look at those mountains doesn't give you one of the best feelings you get in gaming then this game probably isn't for you.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By devilzrule27

@SpencerTucksen: lower your weapons and you can spin the camera around to look at your face. Though I'm not sure what the obsession is with being able to look at the characters face.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Doctorchimp

I like videogames.

Skyrim is a pretty big videogame ass videogame.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Doctorchimp

@LordXavierBritish said:

Why do people get so defensive whenever someone posts anything negative about this game. Is it completely inconcievable that someone goes into a game not wanting to have to tolerate all its bull shit in order to enjoy it?

Why is it that Bethesda gets a pass on this shit when every other developer is held to a higher standard.

Which developer makes a big ass sandbox game for your character to run around and interact in a dynamic manner?

I mean Rockstar makes big sandbox games, but it's pretty much set in stone how you can attack a problem. They cut down your option and when you go on a mission they set it up just right. And even then they have some jank in them.

gesi1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By gesi1223

@Doctorchimp: The difference is Rockstar tries to give you gameplay that is also enjoyable. Bethesda doesn't even seem like they're trying.

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Doctorchimp said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

Which developer makes a big ass sandbox game for your character to run around and interact in a dynamic manner?

I mean Rockstar makes big sandbox games, but it's pretty much set in stone how you can attack a problem. They cut down your option and when you go on a mission they set it up just right. And even then they have some jank in them.

Choice in games is a matter of perception, most developers are just really bad at realizing that. You can craft a dynamic world without sacrificing technical aptitude, you just have to craft a game within the limits of the technology. Bethesda chooses not to.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Doctorchimp

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Doctorchimp said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

Choice in games is a matter of perception, most developers are just really bad at realizing that. You can craft a dynamic world without sacrificing technical aptitude, you just have to craft a game within the limits of the technology. Bethesda chooses not to.

Such as...

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Doctorchimp said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Doctorchimp said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

Such as...

Dark Souls.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Doctorchimp

@gesi1223 said:

@Doctorchimp: The difference is Rockstar tries to give you gameplay that is also enjoyable. Bethesda doesn't even seem like they're trying.

I had more fun exploring abandoned buildings in Fallout 3 than I did in GTA 4...what does that say?

This whole thread just seems like it has people going, "NO YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY WRONG FOR LIKING BETHESDA".

You don't like the game, why hang around the forum? To show the truth? What do you think you can accomplish other than looking like a typical internet rager?

gesi1223

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By gesi1223

@Doctorchimp: I'm having fun, doing my thing. Definitely more fun than playing Skyrim, that's for sure.

It doesn't really matter what you had fun with in the game. I don't care. I'm more concerned with the fact people defend this game's flaws like they're not there and say this game is really good, when in turn it's very mediocre. And the fact Bethesda has been releasing games so poorly put together like this for over 5 years and people accept it is starting to get really grating.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Doctorchimp

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Doctorchimp said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Doctorchimp said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

Such as...

Dark Souls.

Alright, you like Dark Souls more than Skyrim. Cool. I don't. Maybe I will. Give me 60 hours to have Skyrim let me down.

I didn't like Dark Souls especially when compared to Demon's Souls. The last few levels felt like they rushed it out the door and none of the bosses felt that unique to me. It kind of left a bad taste in my mouth, especially how they handled the invasion stuff.

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Doctorchimp said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Doctorchimp said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Doctorchimp said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

Such as...

Dark Souls.

Alright, you like Dark Souls more than Skyrim. Cool. I don't. Maybe I will. Give me 60 hours to have Skyrim let me down.

I didn't like Dark Souls especially when compared to Demon's Souls. The last few levels felt like they rushed it out the door and none of the bosses felt that unique to me. It kind of left a bad taste in my mouth, especially how they handled the invasion stuff.

This isn't about liking one game over the other, this is about being able to craft a game that is wholly remarkable instead of a game with one truly remarkable aspect that sacrifices the rest of the game in order to achieve it.

This is exactly the fucking shit I am talking about, personal preference doesn't enter into this. Skyrim is a profoundly flawed game but everyone is willing to let it pass because it's the fucking Elder Scrolls kid, games don't need to advance or invoate or even stay on par with their peers, why don't you go play with your building blocks while the old men discuss how technically marvelous Pong is.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.