Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Who did you kill and regretted it or refused to kill? (Spoilers!)

Avatar image for deactivated-61abb009b221e
    deactivated-61abb009b221e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

You've been warned.

So was there any NPC that you regretted killing or just flat out refused to kill? Mainly for me, I mean Paarthurnax. I didn't do it. I actually got angry when Delphine and Esbern asked me to do it, and just walked out. I'd sooner kill them if I had the option.

So what about you guys?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

Yes, I got angry that I was being asked to kill the leader of the only group in the whole fucking game that helped me without trickery, unnecessary deceit, or bickering over stupid shit.

Seriously, if the the Empire and Douchebag Stormcloak could just shutup and fight together, maybe they could overthrow the Thalmor at some point. Especially if they got Paarthurnax and the dragons, as well as the godlike player character, on their side to help. Really, guys. Is that so difficult?

And Alduin the World Eater? Psh, he was a pushover.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I regret killing the leader of the Imperial Legion, I'd rather kill Ulfric.

AnxiousTube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By AnxiousTube

@WindFall259: Agreed it was total BS. I really wish they had not put that into the game or at least put a way to convince them that it was a bad idea. It just made me HATE them. And I had kinda started growing on them over all the shit that they had dealt with, with the Thalmor.

INV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By INV2

Yeah . . . I killed a few decent people to empower by Ebony Blade...

and I'll have you know that it doesn't make me a bad person!

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mikey87144

the dog in a Deadra's best friend...

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Marcsman

I killed Lydia and Meeko.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By ShadowConqueror

I didn't kill Paarthurnax, the Blades can go fuck themselves.

Other than that, I was in desperate need for a wood elf's blood for Hermaes Mora's quest so I killed the guy who runs the meat stand in Whiterun. I've regretted it since.

Avatar image for the_great_skenardo
    the_great_skenardo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When it came time for the Dark Brotherhood entry quest, and

The leader of the Dark Brotherhood is all like "'sup, kill one of these fools." I refused. Instead I sneak attacked her and took her gloves. I kill people, but I ain't no damn murderer.

Also, I never killed any giants. In a world full of big ol' jerks, the giants were inoffensive. They clearly marked their territory, they'd warn you off if you got too close, and aside from a rogue here and there, they just wanted to be left alone. Got to the point where if I needed to steal something from them for a quest, I'd leave a few diamonds or wheels of cheese in the chest as payment for whatever I took.

Nux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Nux

@ShadowConqueror said:

Kiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Kiro

Those Blade guys were retarded. At the stormcloak/imperial meeting at High Hrothgar they were bitching everyone out for not joining forces or at least putting the war on hold because we were dealing with some serious shit here and needed all the help we could get. Of couse a few seconds later they act like a bunch of entitled assholes when they ask you to kill good ol' Paarthurnax, dispite him being the one guy who made it possible to get to Anduin. I mean what the fuck.

orlandodoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By orlandodoom

Had to harvest elf blood to get the Oghma Infinium.

I had a report with the owner of The Drunken Huntsman. A fellow Bosmer. We chatted whenever I came in. I bought all my arrows from him, and gave him a few extra furs for free whenever I'd return home.

But my lust for power got the best of me, and I murdered him in cold blood. And for what? Knowledge?

Oh Elindir, I'm sorry, you were nothing but kind, and a friendly face in a harsh world.

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Matfei90
    SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SexyToad

I killed one of my housecarl since i was mad since i decorated my room for about an arrow with pots and stuff but when i went back into the house all my stuff was tossed randomly.

Adus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Adus

@Matfei90: You couldn't just.. load an older save?

DemiGodRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DemiGodRaven

@ShadowConqueror said:

Other than that, I was in desperate need for a wood elf's blood for Hermaes Mora's quest so I killed the guy who runs the meat stand in Whiterun. I've regretted it since.

HA.

Way to save yourself some time with the DB contracts.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Enigma777

I killed everyone... Except the children. Fucking Bethesda. Bunch of racist pricks is what they are!

Avatar image for bigchickendinner
    BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BigChickenDinner

Mercer Frey.. It could of been me and him, and her, and the skeleton key

And by her I mean Nocturnal

Matfei90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Matfei90
    @Adus said:

@Matfei90: You couldn't just.. load an older save?

Not at that point, no. I have a habit of running 2 or 3 saves at a time, then after a string of quests/dungeons I take it back down to 1, largely due to tidiness - I wish the game would sort your seperate characters into different folders (hopefully a mod out soon for that) so I wouldn't have to be extra careful about overwriting something in a muddle of saves.

I initially thought of it soon after killing him, but decided to 'just live with it' and continued playing for a couple of hours. Saves gone.

That said, I don't regret restarting. Changed my race and I've allocated my stats/perks in a better arrangement now that I'm familiar with how I want to play.
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By pweidman

Refused to kill the Dragon for the myopic Blades, and refused to bring a follower to Bothia, despite the cool weapon I imagine I'd have gotten. Kinda felt bad about all the giant murdering...little bit.

Stete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Stete
    Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
    RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

at first, i regretted killing certain npc's. as the game went on, i realized how trivial everything is, and that whatever i did had zero effect on the game's storyline, or how the world's npc's would react to me. so, after a while, i no longer felt bad for anything i did. i knew it didn't matter.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FunExplosions

Yo guys Alduin is Akatosh. Did I just blow your mind? It be true.

And I killed everyone with a stealthy badass and kill-everyone PC mods. I regretted it only after a dozen or so hours because its coolness was hampered by the stupid scaling enemies and the wonky as hell stealth mechanics. It was pretty cool while it lasted, though. Every town I came across, I slaughtered everyone in it, and everyone was after me. I had to use bandit hideouts for enchanting and alchemy. Sneak-attacking my way through forts and hideouts and across the plains was pretty sick, too.

Avatar image for crosstheatlantic
    CrossTheAtlantic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CrossTheAtlantic

Kind of don't regret killing anyone because the game still seems to think lots of people (like Ulfric) are still alive.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By superfriend

I killed Astrid with my new character. Just killed her in the abandoned shack and got the quest to destroy the Dark Brotherhood. No regrets really.

I kinda hate Mehrunes Dagon, so I turned on him and didn´t get the Razor.. I kinda regret that a little.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By swoxx

I regret killing the emperor.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FunExplosions

@pweidman said:

Refused to kill the Dragon for the myopic Blades, and refused to bring a follower to Bothia, despite the cool weapon I imagine I'd have gotten. Kinda felt bad about all the giant murdering...little bit.

You just get a shitty piece of enchanted Ebony armor for that Boethia quest. It does constant poison damage to anyone in your vicinity, but you can't disenchant the armor for the enchantment.

Avatar image for deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a
    deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I killed a mage for one of the daedric artifacts and completely regretted it because he didn't even fight back, he just stood there saying "I don't want to die"

I felt like an awful human being. (or Dark Elf, whichever)

also, this:

@ShadowConqueror said:

0blivion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By 0blivion_

@rawrsair: I killed Lydia for a daedric mission (might of been the same one), I didn't even like what I got at the end and now every time I go home to Whiterun I always expect to see her there but she never is..

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#30  Edited By sgtsphynx  Moderator
    @Swoxx said:

This, and only this. I didn't kill the dragon, because fuck the Blades, and I am aiming for Ulfric's head very shortly. The only other character I kinda regret, but not really, is that priest of Arkay for Namira's quest.
    mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mikemcn

Killing people in the Daedra Quests, "Kill this monk of Boethiah, why? Because I said so!" "Kill this kind old, kinda cooky researcher, actually never mind, I'll take care of him for you!" "Kill this dungeon full of sick people!" "Kill this crazed Museum curator!"

I know the Daedra are powerful but just let me try and turn against them to finish the quest. By the time I got to most of those quests I was godlike. But instead in order to finish the task and clear out your journal you need to do what you're told.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish you could have the option to fight all of the Daedra gods.... 

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SSully

In a certain daedric quest you are suppose to lure this priest to a house, and then are asked to kill him. I just walked out of the house. Technically the quest is still active, and technically this priest has been trapped in a daedric house in a cage for most of my time in the game world. So idk what's worse. Dying a few times and having your soul taken by a daedra, or being alive in his house for weeks.

Avatar image for alwaysbeclothing
    alwaysbeclothing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By alwaysbeclothing

There was a sidequest where to advance the story someone's wife died. It was story linked so it still happened even when I instantly killed the two other people who attack her. I was reallly bothered by an "innocent" dying and reloaded. Never got to see the end of that quest.

Then again, 50 hours later I'm killing innocent people for no good reason thanks to Dark Brotherhood and Daedric quests. My character went from neutral thief to STRAIGHT ADULTERATED EVIL in the last third of my game. Beware the allure of S-ranking games.

briangodsoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By briangodsoe

@mikey87144 said:

the dog in a Deadra's best friend...

you are a terrible person

Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Storms
    @FunExplosions said:

Yo guys Alduin is Akatosh. Did I just blow your mind? It be true.

Alduin is Real, And He Ent Akatosh! 

As my da used to say - Imperials are idiutts!
    That is why I am riting this book. I ent never rote a book before, and I do not reckon to rite one agenn, but sometimes a man must do what a man must do. And what I must do is set the recerd strate about the god called Akatosh and the dragon called Alduin. They ent the same thing, no matter what them Imperials mite say, or how thay mite wish it to be so.
    My da was never one for the gods, but my ma was. She wershipped all the Divines, and tot me lots of things. So I noe a thing or two about Akatosh. Just as much as any Imperial. I noe he was the first of all the gods to take shape in the Beginning Place. And I noe he has the shape of a dragon.
    My da even told me the story of Martyn Septim, and the things what happened when the gates to Oblivion opened. Septim turned into the spirit of Akatosh and killed Mehrunes Dagon. Now I dont noe about you, but any dragon that fites the Prince of Destruction is okay by me.
    Now I hope you understand the problim. Akatosh is good. Everyone, from Nord to Imperial, noes that. But Alduin? He ent good! He's the oposit of good! That Alduin is evil thrue and thrue. So you see, Akatosh and Alduin cant be one and the same.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By FunExplosions

@Storms: Is that an actual book found in the game? Sounds like something that'd be in there. Anyways, I heard a lot of the lore and books actually match things up quite well for it to be true. As far as one being good and one being bad, that could just be as simple as different people writing the main story quest than the people writing the books - which, by the way, were mostly all written for previous Elder Scrolls games.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Grillbar

i diddent kill anyone. well there was this quest where i got thrown in to prison and the only way to get out was killing a dude and then after getting out killing a bunch of guards so we could take over the town. after trying for a long time to complete the quest without having to kill anyone i finaly just ended up doing it. resulted in about 30-40 + guards killed. but i will say that it was self-defense. i thing i really wanted the game to understand i only killed all those people cuz they attacked and tried to kill me. and im the bad guy here REALLY???

edit: oh yeah there was allso was 2 other dudes one who was possessed again self-defense and then that guy who i had to kill to get that one handed mace that brad uses in the QL, part of the same quest. i kinda regretted him since the weapon was not that good and i never used it again. i coped by chanting to myself that he was evil he was evil while cutting myself just alittle

neurotic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By neurotic

@Swoxx said:

Yeah, me too. But I killed Motierre too so I honoured his request. I'm gonna take the Imperial's side in the war too just to really confuse my allegiances.

I felt bad about killing that dude to get the Mace of Molag Bal but it's a kick-ass mace so I'm over that. I also hired a mercenary to sacrifice him so I could do Boethiah's quest but again, Ebony Mail is awesome so that stopped bothering me a while back too.

I refuse to kill Paarthunax. Screw Delphine and Esbern, pretty much as soon as I found Alduin's Wall, I never talked to them again.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By swoxx

@Neurotic said:

@Swoxx said:

Yeah, me too. But I killed Motierre too so I honoured his request. I'm gonna take the Imperial's side in the war too just to really confuse my allegiances.

I did that too. I also joined the Imperials to try and make up for my mistake, I left my brotherhood days behind me after that faithful day aboard that ship.

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By unchained

Dark Brotherhood Spoiler incoming....

And I too wish the option was there to kill the blades after demanding that I kill my friend.

Storms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Storms
    @FunExplosions: Yep, that's from an in-game book. I even made a Nord character based on it. 

One of the things I love about the lore and writing of the Elder Scrolls series is the use of the "unreliable narrator" device. It makes things harder for me, and I like that in a game. Two sides to everything, from the civil war to the "rightness" of the end of the world.

However, it's almost impossible for Alduin to be Akatosh. For one, the dragons in Skyrim refer to Alduin merely as "the firstborn of Akatosh"... Alduin is their leader, so one assumes they would know if he was really Akatosh and not just the oldest of Dragonkind. For another, Akatosh is known to have created the Dragonborn -- that would be a pretty dumb thing for Alduin to do, considering that he was all about dominating mankind. Still, Alduin could merely be the schizophrenic dark side of Akatosh and all the dragons could be wrong, right? But then there's the marked power difference between the two -- Alduin isn't merely the flip-side of Akatosh, he's much weaker. Akatosh is the Aedric god of Time, Alduin is just a really strong dragon with an appetite.  

It's exactly as the game said; Akatosh created time and made Alduin and the other dragons to someday end it so a new world could begin. He then saw things had gone awry for man and mer, so he created the Dragonborn line to keep forces like his dragons and Daedric Princes (close shut the jaws of Oblivion) at bay until time was ready to end.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.