Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

You know what makes Bethesda so damn unique?

sreya92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By sreya92

I was just thinking about this the other day and it's that even if they don't get everything right in their games they don't have to worry about displeasing the fans because they know the modders will morph the game to their liking. It's like they have their own auxiliary development team. It's crazy. Most games when you hear about something that you don't want in the game people go apeshit. But whenever you hear something minor go wrong in the Elder Scrolls people just shrug and go, "Mods." Now I know that a lot of other games have mods but the mods for Elder Scrolls are pretty vast, I mean people built an entire new fucking world in one of the vids I saw. It's kind of mind blowing the cult-following this game has. 

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By phish09

If you need mods to make your games interesting then you are doing it wrong. 

I'm not saying that Bethesda's games do require these mods to make them interesting, but that seems to be the point the OP was making. 

Also, Bethesda "the developer" produces some quality products; Bethesda "the publisher", not so much.
    sreya92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sreya92

No the point I was trying to make was that if you didn't like something that bethesda did in terms of visuals, armor, gameplay, the HUD, then there's usually a way around it. Unlike some games. And the people who find their way around it are damn good at what they do, in general of course.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ryanwho

That's the opposite of great. A bunch of people unaffiliated with Bethesda are just presumed to be the ones who will fix the bullshit in their game. And giving Bethesda credit for the modders is silly. Give the modders credit. Bethesda gets credit for using the same engine for such a long time that mods became very easy to import into the next game and for most of the bullshit problems being easy enough to solve that modders can solve them. Those are backhanded credits, though.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By The_Nubster
    @sreya92 said:
    No the point I was trying to make was that if you didn't like something that bethesda did in terms of visuals, armor, gameplay, the HUD, then there's usually a way around it. Unlike some games. And the people who find their way around it are damn good at what they do, in general of course.
    So what makes Bethesda great is that other people can fix their fuck-ups. Okay then.
    sreya92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sreya92

Perhaps I should have said Elder Scrolls. And you're generalizing it a bit much. It's not so much fucking up as it is modifying it to personal preference, customization if you will. 

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TotalEklypse

Most pc games have mods. The modders deserve the praise for the work done. Not Bethesda for leaving problems or lack of something. I can promise that isn't the case. "Let's leave things out cause we have a mod community"... that logic is flawed. You must have smoked some good shit.. can I have some?

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kashif1

what i think he is saying is that Bethesda can take more risks than most developers, if someone is unhappy with those risks than they can change it.  Plus unlike say dice, they make their games easy to mod

sreya92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sreya92
    @kashif1 said:
    what i think he is saying is that Bethesda can take more risks than most developers, if someone is unhappy with those risks than they can change it.  Plus unlike say dice, they make their games easy to mod
    Thank you dear god
    veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10  Edited By veektarius
    @rebgav said:

Yeah, where would Bethesda be without those dedicated modders pumping out sex quests and nudity patches and big-boob character models and in-game lingerie stores?

The downside of making a game easy to mod is that most of the popular mods are utter trash.

Got a problem with big boobs, eh? 

A game that mods well and which people are willing to mod is a great value proposition, too..  You can come back multiple times and have a different experience each time.  
    But we should not take it for granted that this will forever be true of Bethesda games.  There's one big thing you don't get when you put your game on consoles, and those are mods.  And this time around, consoles are actually the focus.  Skyrim will be fine, I'm sure, but what can we expect in Elder Scrolls VI? 
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By valrog

Bugs? Terrible voice acting? Horrible animations? Cold or warm?

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#12  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I remember when they used to be unique

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JP_Russell
    @rebgav said:

Yeah, where would Bethesda be without those dedicated modders pumping out sex quests and nudity patches and big-boob character models and in-game lingerie stores?

The downside of making a game easy to mod is that most of the popular mods are utter trash.

I would hardly call those examples "the popular mods." 

Even if you were speaking more generally, I don't see how that's a downside since you download the mods that are relavent to your tastes, not just whatever the popular ones are.
    Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Yanngc33

What makes bethesda games so unique is that despite the fact that they are broken to a point of no return, they're still good thanks to their writing

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By kashif1
    @Veektarius said:
    @rebgav said:

Got a problem with big boobs, eh?  A game that mods well and which people are willing to mod is a great value proposition, too..  You can come back multiple times and have a different experience each time.  But we should not take it for granted that this will forever be true of Bethesda games.  There's one big thing you don't get when you put your game on consoles, and those are mods.  And this time around, consoles are actually the focus.  Skyrim will be fine, I'm sure, but what can we expect in Elder Scrolls VI? 
    Oblivion was made for the 360 and then ported to pc, thats a nonissue
    JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JP_Russell

@Veektarius said:

@rebgav said:

Got a problem with big boobs, eh?  A game that mods well and which people are willing to mod is a great value proposition, too..  You can come back multiple times and have a different experience each time.  But we should not take it for granted that this will forever be true of Bethesda games.  There's one big thing you don't get when you put your game on consoles, and those are mods.  And this time around, consoles are actually the focus.  Skyrim will be fine, I'm sure, but what can we expect in Elder Scrolls VI? 

I get what you're saying, and it's certainly something to always be ready for, but Bethesda's games have been heavily console-focused since Oblivion.  Skyrim is no forlorn indicator of some bias in that direction that wasn't already there.  If anything, the fact that Bethesda will have put out three (four, if you count New Vegas) console-focused games that also have modding tools on the PC, with the devs freely praising the mod scene and even referring to the PC versions of their games as the superior versions because of it, is a positive sign for mods in Bethesda's games in the future.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JP_Russell

@Yanngc33 said:

What makes bethesda games so unique is that despite the fact that they are broken to a point of no return, they're still good thanks to their writing

You think Bethesda's writing is good? 

Why?   

Not being confrontational or anything here, I'm just genuinely curious what you like about their writing.  My personal opinion is, and the general consensus seems to be, that Bethesda's writing is one of the single worst aspects in their games after Morrowind, so your statement comes as a bit of a surprise to me.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By BraveToaster

The game people... who are they?

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By pweidman

Their games are engrossing and you can get sucked in for hundreds of hours? You can go back and play their games years later and enjoy them all over again? You can count on pretty good DLC, and lots of it for their games? I dunno, pick one.

Hellstrom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hellstrom

Meh, not a huge fan of Bethesda. Anticipating Skyrim though.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheMustacheHero

This is the worst argument of why something is good I've seen in a while.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

The percentage of people who use mods is those games very small compared to the amount of people who bought the game.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By Getz

I love Elder Scrolls games, warts and all.

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By xpgamer7

I think what makes them great is the ideas behind what they put in their world and the immersion they pull you into. All the problems are balanced with all the stuff you can't get in any other game.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I like them, always have, they indeed offer you a shitload of game, and all the tools in the world to change every last detail of it, if you so please.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By haggis
    @JP_Russell said:

@Yanngc33 said:

You think Bethesda's writing is good?  ...  Why?    Not being confrontational or anything here, I'm just genuinely curious what you like about their writing.  My personal opinion is, and the general consensus seems to be, that Bethesda's writing is one of the single worst aspects in their games after Morrowind, so your statement comes as a bit of a surprise to me.
    I'd have to agree with you there. Bethesda's writing is hardly the best thing about their games. I'd say the writing in Elder Scrolls has always been mediocre at best. The experience of the game is often quite good, but I cringe at a lot of the dialogue in the games. Atrocious. And not helped by the piss poor voice acting either. The game's strength has always been the whole experience, the exploration, the freedom, the customization. Character interactions have never been as good as, say, Bioware games. But then Bioware games tend to have better writing, just not as much freedom. I think in any open world game, writing is always going to be a secondary concern, and it shows in games like Oblivion. Skyrim might be better in that regard, but I honestly don't care.
    kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By kashif1
    @haggis said:
    @JP_Russell said:

@Yanngc33 said:

You think Bethesda's writing is good?  ...  Why?    Not being confrontational or anything here, I'm just genuinely curious what you like about their writing.  My personal opinion is, and the general consensus seems to be, that Bethesda's writing is one of the single worst aspects in their games after Morrowind, so your statement comes as a bit of a surprise to me.
    I'd have to agree with you there. Bethesda's writing is hardly the best thing about their games. I'd say the writing in Elder Scrolls has always been mediocre at best. The experience of the game is often quite good, but I cringe at a lot of the dialogue in the games. Atrocious. And not helped by the piss poor voice acting either. The game's strength has always been the whole experience, the exploration, the freedom, the customization. Character interactions have never been as good as, say, Bioware games. But then Bioware games tend to have better writing, just not as much freedom. I think in any open world game, writing is always going to be a secondary concern, and it shows in games like Oblivion. Skyrim might be better in that regard, but I honestly don't care.
    i found the writing alright, its biggest problem was that the player could not respond.  It's not bad by any stretch of the imagination but its also nowhere near bioware.
    jaketaylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jaketaylor
    Avatar image for extreme_popcorn
    Extreme_Popcorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By Extreme_Popcorn

@kashif1 said:

what i think he is saying is that Bethesda can take more risks than most developers, if someone is unhappy with those risks than they can change it. Plus unlike say dice, they make their games easy to mod

The only mods I use for Bethesda games are for the UI because they are utter shit. Hardly a risk, just lazy.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

W@JP_Russell said:

@Yanngc33 said:

Well, its only bad when compared to the other aspects of the game, and it really depends on what writing you're referring to, the plot wasn't all that great, but it certainly wasn't bad, the dialogue was ok. Worst aspect, yes, but not a bad one. 
    JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By JP_Russell

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

W@JP_Russell said:

@Yanngc33 said:

Well, its only bad when compared to the other aspects of the game, and it really depends on what writing you're referring to, the plot wasn't all that great, but it certainly wasn't bad, the dialogue was ok. Worst aspect, yes, but not a bad one. 

Oblivion's main quest plot couldn't be much worse than it is.  It plays out more like a scenario than it does a story most of the time, and does so poorly, at that, as it falls flat on the entire execution of the idea of an Oblivion invasion.  When it is trying to tell an actual tale in some way, there's little intrigue to speak of, as just about everything is laid out on a silver platter, and every single plot point is about as boring and unimaginative as can be.  The side quests' plots are marginally better, but still mostly poor, with the better quests relying on Bethesda's simple-but-colorful imagination far more than their writing skills.  Fallout 3's main quest plot is actually alright until a certain point, managing to have intrigue and even a little emotional attachment, but then it throws all that away as though the writers just ran out of ideas and got bored.  Its side quests are about the same as Oblivion's for plot, maybe a small step up in a few cases.

The dialogue in both games is shit.  Most of it is bland and a poor portrayal of how people communicate, think, emote (in speech, not voice, which is another matter), and just generally behave, and any time they try to write something particularly emotional or intellectual, it's literally painful.  The only times I'm not tolerating (or at least just choosing not to think about) the dialogue is when one of the few good voice actors brings life to otherwise very poorly written lines.

It has nothing to do with comparisons to the rest of the games' contents; I feel Bethesda's writing is just bad across the board (dialogue and plot).  The one thing they do have a natural talent for, again, is color - the weird and wacky, the morbid and crazy, the "just-outside-the-realm-of-normal."  But their actual writing ability, their ability to create and tell stories and to depict communication and expression, is just about bottom-tier.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SlashDance

I do feel like I would be more pissed about some stuff they're doing with the game (although overall I think they're making smart changes to the formula) if I knew it couldn't be tweaked with mods. Stuff like closed cities for instance.

That said I don't think they're making the game in the mind set of "let's do whatever, people will fix it". They're making the game they want to make. Knowing that people will be able to change what they don't like must feel conforting but it's crazy to think that it changes their development process.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#33  Edited By Lukeweizer

So they make their games shitty so moders can fix it? Don't agree with that.

Chk991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Chk991

The modding community for their games is amazing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.