Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The King of Fighters XII

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Apr 10, 2009

The twelfth main installment of the tag-team fighting game series features a complete overhaul of the series' 2D graphics, with the first major overhaul of the series' character sprites in 13 years.

Allow me to rant for a moment (KOFXII)

IceTrey87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By IceTrey87

Seriously, SNK.... 

What the hell? 

I start off by popping in my brand new copy of King Of Fighters to my 360 expecting a wonderful gaming experience.  My friend who hates fighting games (and is terrible at them) was sitting beside me and I decided to play single player first since he didn't want to play yet anyway.  First off I noticed something.  The roster.  Here's some fighters I immediately noticed were missing that in my opinion shouldn't have been:   

Duck King, King, Yuri, Mai, Rock, Shingo, Kula, Maxima, and MOTHERFRIGGIN' K'!!!!!!!!!!!!!  That's just a few, there were others I was dissappointed were missing but I can't think of them right now.   I think for my first team I picked Shen Woo, Iori, and Andy 

The first thing I noticed is that Andy sucks major balls compared to previous iterations, I mean they nerfed the hell out of him.  He went from being one of my favorite characters to just straight ball suck.  They took away his better moves and he feels like KOF '95 Andy Bogard now.  He also only has his kick super which wasn't great to begin with but now it arcs too high making it impossible to connect with an opponant. 

Shen Woo was fine, although he also felt somewhat nerfed. 

Then around the third or fourth match I got to Iori.

I know that in the KOF 'story' (if you can call it that) Ash takes Iori's powers, but dammit, you do not change a character's entire moveset and fighting style in a fighting game series.  They did this to Iori.  He has no ranged attacks now, the demon scorcher is gone also, both replaced by a completely useless anti-air that doesn't even hit in front like the demon scorcher did.  His three hit qcb combo is gone replaced by a pimp slap (which is sort of useful in his now all-close-range combos). 

Seriously SNK?  Seriously?   I mean....................... seriously?  SNK?  For real?  ......................................Seriously? 

Suck my nuts. 

And then, after enduring the horrible voice acting, and complete lack of attempt at a story (oh hey guys were having a tournament and people are fighting in it, durrrrrr..)  I am treated to the end of the game.  Guess what.  It just ends.  There's no boss.  No boss at all.  No Orochi, no Magaki, no Geese, no Rugal, no nobody.  I would've been happy even with a 2D Duke happily spamming away his infinite special bar.  But no.  Nothing.  The game ends.  That's it.  Then it's back to a character select that features Mature and NOT EVEN VICE!  Why have Mature and not Vice?  They've always been a package deal!  WHY EVEN HAVE MATURE TO BEGIN WITH, SHE'S A STUPID CHARACTER!?  They could've had so many better characters that they left out.  Raiden is in this for crying out loud, who needs Raiden?  Where the hell is K'?  Kula? Gato?  Those are some of my favorite characters and they're just gone in favor of the B TEAM.   

I'd rather play '98 any day.  I'm pissed.  They spent all their time on new sprites and animated backgrounds, now their roster and gameplay sucks because of it. 
    Blow me SNK.  You used to be awesome, how about you try to make a good game next time?  XI was awesome, how about you just remake that for the 360.  Just port it, I don't give a shit.  Or maybe I'll just buy a PS2 and steal back my friend's copy of XI.  Anything's better than fucking XII.

IceTrey87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By IceTrey87

Seriously, SNK.... 

What the hell? 

I start off by popping in my brand new copy of King Of Fighters to my 360 expecting a wonderful gaming experience.  My friend who hates fighting games (and is terrible at them) was sitting beside me and I decided to play single player first since he didn't want to play yet anyway.  First off I noticed something.  The roster.  Here's some fighters I immediately noticed were missing that in my opinion shouldn't have been:   

Duck King, King, Yuri, Mai, Rock, Shingo, Kula, Maxima, and MOTHERFRIGGIN' K'!!!!!!!!!!!!!  That's just a few, there were others I was dissappointed were missing but I can't think of them right now.   I think for my first team I picked Shen Woo, Iori, and Andy 

The first thing I noticed is that Andy sucks major balls compared to previous iterations, I mean they nerfed the hell out of him.  He went from being one of my favorite characters to just straight ball suck.  They took away his better moves and he feels like KOF '95 Andy Bogard now.  He also only has his kick super which wasn't great to begin with but now it arcs too high making it impossible to connect with an opponant. 

Shen Woo was fine, although he also felt somewhat nerfed. 

Then around the third or fourth match I got to Iori.

I know that in the KOF 'story' (if you can call it that) Ash takes Iori's powers, but dammit, you do not change a character's entire moveset and fighting style in a fighting game series.  They did this to Iori.  He has no ranged attacks now, the demon scorcher is gone also, both replaced by a completely useless anti-air that doesn't even hit in front like the demon scorcher did.  His three hit qcb combo is gone replaced by a pimp slap (which is sort of useful in his now all-close-range combos). 

Seriously SNK?  Seriously?   I mean....................... seriously?  SNK?  For real?  ......................................Seriously? 

Suck my nuts. 

And then, after enduring the horrible voice acting, and complete lack of attempt at a story (oh hey guys were having a tournament and people are fighting in it, durrrrrr..)  I am treated to the end of the game.  Guess what.  It just ends.  There's no boss.  No boss at all.  No Orochi, no Magaki, no Geese, no Rugal, no nobody.  I would've been happy even with a 2D Duke happily spamming away his infinite special bar.  But no.  Nothing.  The game ends.  That's it.  Then it's back to a character select that features Mature and NOT EVEN VICE!  Why have Mature and not Vice?  They've always been a package deal!  WHY EVEN HAVE MATURE TO BEGIN WITH, SHE'S A STUPID CHARACTER!?  They could've had so many better characters that they left out.  Raiden is in this for crying out loud, who needs Raiden?  Where the hell is K'?  Kula? Gato?  Those are some of my favorite characters and they're just gone in favor of the B TEAM.   

I'd rather play '98 any day.  I'm pissed.  They spent all their time on new sprites and animated backgrounds, now their roster and gameplay sucks because of it. 
    Blow me SNK.  You used to be awesome, how about you try to make a good game next time?  XI was awesome, how about you just remake that for the 360.  Just port it, I don't give a shit.  Or maybe I'll just buy a PS2 and steal back my friend's copy of XI.  Anything's better than fucking XII.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By napalm

All characters were reverted back to their '94/'95 incarnations.

IceTrey87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By IceTrey87

Why though?  That's retarded, they should be moving forward not back.  If people want to play those games they can buy king of fighters anniversary.  The gameplay in 94 and 95 was horrible compared to like 98, 03, and XI.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Baillie

SFIV is SF2, where's the complaints there?

C2C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By C2C
    @Baillie: SF4 still has the Street Fighter spirit.  KOF XII took out what made KOF (large cast, Boss with SNK sydrome, Story, etc.). 
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Baillie

YEAH WELL. I haven't played it, so yeah. I have no incite or anything.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By napalm
    @IceTrey87 said:
    " Why though?  That's retarded, they should be moving forward not back.  If people want to play those games they can buy king of fighters anniversary.  The gameplay in 94 and 95 was horrible compared to like 98, 03, and XI. "
    Not sure what the issue is. The fighting is crisp, smooth, pinpoint accurate, fast and exciting.
    IceTrey87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By IceTrey87
    @Baillie said:
    "SFIV is SF2, where's the complaints there? "

I'll admit I would've liked to see a lot more new characters in SFIV, would've liked to see it take place after III, and also would've liked the gameplay to have been more like in III, but they at least put in the new little guard crush/parry thing and kept the characters mostly like their best incarnations.  I would've liked Ken to still have the shinryuken super but other than that it didn't bother me much.  KOFXII is missing some of the series' biggest characters without any reason at all, and it's frustrating to have a character that most people love (Iori) have his moves completely taken away.  People stick with certain characters in KOF perhaps more than any other series so nerfing the hell out of the characters and only having half the usual amount in the roster is unforgivable in a big release like this.  For the guy who said the gameplay is still smooth, and accurate, sure the commands work, but the really fun moves have been taken out.  The super cancels aren't nearly as fun or satisfying as in XI, and if you say this is fast you should play XI again, because it feels like you're moving through a vat of gravy in XII by comparison.  So I'd agree with you on the smooth, crisp, and pinpoint accurate but as far as fast and exciting I vehemently disagree.  Duck King, K', Kula, and Gato are all exciting characters to play as, none of them are in this game.  I personally hate King but I know a bunch of other people are mad she wasn't in this game and for good reason, she's in every damn game in the series.  Fighting games are supposed to gain new characters as they go, not cut down on the list.  There's almost no characters in the game that I really like to play with aside from Terry, Ryu, Leona, Shen Woo and Kyo and I mean everybody plays with them.

It's bullcrap, peeps
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By napalm
    @IceTrey87: KOFXII is KOF'94/'95. That is as simply as I can put it.
    BeeLow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By BeeLow

it is retarded because more people probably played XI than 94/95 so they should make sure the majority of people are happy than catering to the few who actually liked 94/95. big XI fan but i cant stand everything about XII.

IceTrey87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By IceTrey87

Agree completely

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.