Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Last of Us

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 14, 2013

Joel and Ellie must survive in a post-apocalyptic world where a deadly parasitic fungus infects people's brains in this PS3 exclusive third-person action-adventure game from Naughty Dog.

PS3 PS4 quick question

BirthWild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Okay, I may have not been paying attention, but PS4 no backwards compatibility, do downloadable ps3 games work? Will I not be able to play this on the ps4, because my ps3 died a couple months ago now and I was waiting for the ps4 but this game makes me want to find a cheap used one off the internet or craigslist and play it!

(sorry if this should be in a different forum, but I only want to buy a ps3 for this game right now and regards to this game working on ps4, ignorance man I got it.)

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

nope

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

Not unless you want to wait until the 2017 Ultra-HD release of the PS3 classic on PS4.

You'd better get your hands on a PS3.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@birthwild: No PS3 digital games won't work on the PS4 at least not at the beginning. I imagine Sony will be porting the bigger games at some point but nothing is determined. If you want to play the Last of Us you should get access to a PS3.

BirthWild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dang son! Alright I'll hunt one down for this, It looks worth it. Thanks guys

Jimbo7676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Eventually they want to stream ps3 games over gaikai but nothing existing currently will be available on it.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It is the same software - doesn't matter if it comes on a disc or you download it. Theoretically gaikai streaming will allow bc some time in the future, but then theoretically they could cure cancer too.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Just buy another PS3. Don't you have games you already own for it? The newer models have an even slimmer chance of dying.

nights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By nights

This is the one thing I can't stand about the PS4. I'd like to be able to play games like The Last of Us and Puppeteer without having to keep my PS3 (which I never use) hooked up at all times. It's a bummer.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By StaticFalconar

You know the PS3 and 360 didn't just stop working overnight when the XB1 and PS4 was announced right? For a console that a lot of you guys complain you never use, you sure have a use for it now, lols.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

Digital or physical, it makes no difference. The issue isn't the drive, it's the hardware. Too complicated to just emulate, too expensive to include the hardware in the box. The future of backwards compatibility is streaming. Though I'll stick to owning old consoles.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nights: Hook it up when you want to play something?

NewDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NewDust

"If you want backwards compatabillity, you're really backwards"
    "We have a device that plays all your old PS3 games... it's called a PS3"

But al Don Matrick jokes aside, BC is not available on the PS4, but they said there is a possiblity that they introduce streaming PS3 (or PS2, PS1 games for that matter) games through Gaikai and even bring that to the Vita. How this works they did not elaborate on. Might be streaming bought content is free for PS+ or as an added service.

nights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know the PS3 and 360 didn't just stop working overnight when the XB1 and PS4 was announced right? For a console that a lot of you guys complain you never use, you sure have a use for it now, lols.

Wow, really? I had no idea! Asshole. I was speaking from an ideal standpoint. You're telling me you wouldn't want to have access to PS3 games from your PS4? At the end of the day, it's not that big of a deal, but I would have preferred using one console. Hell, I ended up playing more PS2 games on my PS3 than PS3 games. I understand emulation (especially for the PS3) would be difficult and it would have just driven costs up. Hopefully Gaikai will be a superior alternative.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.