Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Tianding

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Nov 02, 2021

A sidescrolling 2D action platformer following the story of Liao Tianding, a Robin Hood like folk tale hero in 18th century Taiwan under japanese rule.

The Legend of Tianding is the 3rd selection of UUGPGC Year 2! Finish by Feb 13 2023! Spoilers open!

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bigsocrates

SPOILERS ARE NOW OPEN!!!

Prior message: Welcome to the Unsanctioned Unofficial Game Pass Game Club. Our second game of 2023 is Tinykin. The target completion date is February 13, 2023.

We ask that until that date you use the forum software to mark any spoilers, either story based or mechanical, in the discussion below. Ideally the bulk of the discussion will occur after February 13, but if you want to comment before then you are welcome to so long as the spoilers are marked. We ask that if you leave a comment before that date you also come back to the thread after it to read other people’s comments and respond to them, though of course we cannot force you to do so.

All are welcome to participate regardless of whether you have stated a preference to or not and there is absolutely no commitment. You do not have to finish the game to participate but please let us know if you have not.

You are also free to come back any time after the completion date and share your thoughts! This club is meant to be open to all whenever you want to join in the fun!

You can find out more about the Unsanctioned Unofficial Game Pass Game Club or suggest future games for it here.

What is The Legend of Tianding?

It is an action platformer with exploration elements about a thief in Japanese ruled Taiwan in the early 20th century.

How long is The Legend of Tianding?

How long to beat lists it as 5 hours long.

By landlord standards he's actually something of a humanitarian
    By landlord standards he's actually something of a humanitarian
    bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So how did people find the thiefing and whatnot? I'm interested in others impressions here before I unleash my own.

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I need to preface all this with saying I haven't beaten the game yet, but feel far enough to still voice my opinions: I think this game started off really solid, and the combat was reminding me a little bit like Guacamelee (a series I love), but I found the bosses too difficult and the pacing felt a little off with longer moments of running through the town to know the setup before some kinda boring "dungeon" areas.

I found the combat to be really fun during normal encounters, but 2 of the 3 bosses I faced felt like tedious slogs. And the dungeons themselves felt a little boring with some bad feeling platforming sections. I dunno if it was just me, but I never got used to the jump in this game and especially never got used to the air dodge to get through hazards. At least the checkpointing was pretty generous.

All in all, I'd probably give this a 2/5 but would still recommend it to someone with gamepass who likes Metroid style games.

borgmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

I didn't make it that far into the game. After getting past the first boss I just kinda completely lost all interest in playing it. The combat and platforming are fine, there's a completely functional character progression system, and the setting is very unique. it's just, something about the level design and the enemy encounters is incredibly uninteresting to me. For a game that has a lot of movement tech and combat options, it felt ho-hum.

The writing and characters are also kinda boring as well, which didn't help. Though, I tend to bounce off of 2D Action games pretty easily. There wasn't enough here to stop my tendencies. Kinda bummed out by this, overall.

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@borgmaster: I always hate calling a game boring, but this game definitely felt boring. Nothing really wrong with any of it, just nothing to make me want to continue playing.

styx971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

i really enjoyed this game when i beat it late last yr . i'm a sucker for kung fu movies and beat em' ups so its really no suprise that it was up my alley . i think the story while not amazing was fun , the combat worked , and while backtracking in alot of games specially smaller ones vs full on metriodvanias can suck the back tracking in this made sense cause it takes place in a town the way it does. that said alot of the collectables were a bit agravating and while in nearly 100%ed it that last level/stage killed it for me . hell that last area alone was just the worst part about the game since it loops around in such a way that if you take the wrong path cause your looking for those collectables then you accidentally wrap back around to the begining of the stage n your forced to get back to said spot Hope you remember what way to not go , and then you get to the final boss who like the boss before it was kinda a pain to fight vs all the ones before it being not bad.

all the iffy parts aside on my howlong to beat it took me 6 hours and 9 mins and i gave it an 8/10 ... all n all it was a fun game for that one evening i played it . hopefully whatever that dev goes on to makke will build off of it cause it was an enjoyable little game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.