Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Nov 21, 1998

The first 3D Legend of Zelda game, Ocarina of Time was created for the Nintendo 64 in 1998 and introduced innovative mechanics such as Z-targeting as well as many of the series' other trademarks. It has frequently been ranked as the greatest game of all time by many publications.

I don't understand why people lose their ish over this game.

• 156 results
    Rockdalf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#151  Edited By Rockdalf
    @FEnergyLegs said:
    @Rockdalf said:
    You know, you may be in the minority here.  Like people who preferred the yellow ranger to the pink ranger.  Doesn't mean you're wrong, but it might mean that you have problems.
    So anyone who doesn't conform to your opinion has 'problems'?
    Nope, but in this situation it could be true.  
    FEnergyLegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#152  Edited By FEnergyLegs
    @Deusoma said:
    @FEnergyLegs: Friend, he wasn't accusing the "it was possible to make well-made games back then" part of being incorrect, he was referring to the "Ocarina of Time was a poorly-made game" part.  But I think the real reason you're saying these things isn't because you really hate Ocarina of Time. And it's okay, everyone feels down sometimes and wants someone to cheer them up. Friend Energy Legs, would you like a hug? :)
    I don't hate Ocarina of Time at all. I just feel that it is kind of mediocre, especially when compared to Majora's Mask and Wind Waker. However, those two magnificent games are always overlooked because they're trapped in their older brother's shadow.  

a hug would be very nice
    carlfoster91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By carlfoster91
    @Hailinel said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Hailinel said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Akrid said:

Your first sentence answers all. You kinda had to be there. And those seem like incredibly minor gripes for a game that came out 13 years ago.

The joke is Majora came out 2 years later and fixed all of them but people still like OoT more.

Majora's Mask is different, strange, and terrifies people uncomfortable with breaking out of the traditional Zelda mold.

Then what about any other Zelda game ever, OoT is still the king for some reason.

I will shoot anyone who actually claims OoT is better than Wind Waker if I were to meet them in person.

I will go get a gun license, buy a mother fucking gun, go to a shooting range and pay to have lessons so I can learn to properly carry and operate a firearm, and then I will shoot them if they are still waiting for me in the same place.

If not I will go home and spam their inbox and just be satisfied with that.

You enjoyed that Triforce hunt in Wind Waker?

hahaha. See I loved Wind Waker, but that Triforce search made the last part of the game hell. You complain about an empty field. How about an amazingly larger ocean where you may go for a while without running into anything of interest. OoT is a superior game because of the order of its release before wind waker. I was 8 when I first played OoT and i had never experienced something so grand in my time before that. And the fact that it is still a very good game today is icing on the cake and what makes it king.
    Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#154  Edited By Aus_azn
    @carlfoster91 said:
    @Hailinel said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Hailinel said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Akrid said:

Your first sentence answers all. You kinda had to be there. And those seem like incredibly minor gripes for a game that came out 13 years ago.

The joke is Majora came out 2 years later and fixed all of them but people still like OoT more.

Majora's Mask is different, strange, and terrifies people uncomfortable with breaking out of the traditional Zelda mold.

Then what about any other Zelda game ever, OoT is still the king for some reason.

I will shoot anyone who actually claims OoT is better than Wind Waker if I were to meet them in person.

I will go get a gun license, buy a mother fucking gun, go to a shooting range and pay to have lessons so I can learn to properly carry and operate a firearm, and then I will shoot them if they are still waiting for me in the same place.

If not I will go home and spam their inbox and just be satisfied with that.

You enjoyed that Triforce hunt in Wind Waker?

hahaha. See I loved Wind Waker, but that Triforce search made the last part of the game hell. You complain about an empty field. How about an amazingly larger ocean where you may go for a while without running into anything of interest. OoT is a superior game because of the order of its release before wind waker. I was 8 when I first played OoT and i had never experienced something so grand in my time before that. And the fact that it is still a very good game today is icing on the cake and what makes it king.
    I hated Wind Waker. I was struggling to keep playing it and I couldn't continue on once I got into Hyrule. It was easily the biggest drag of a Zelda game that I'd played.
    carlfoster91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By carlfoster91

@LordXavierBritish said:

@TooWalrus said:

@LordXavierBritish: I'm not going to argue about why I like Zelda (because the reason is probably entirely 'because I like it when I was 8 years old'), but just out of curiosity, what were some of your favorite games from around that time?

Anything by Rare, I replayed both Banjos and Conker on Xbox and still love all of them.

@VashTS said:

@LordXavierBritish: Wow you just blew my mind. Thanks for letting me know why OoT is the worst game ever. I'm gonna go punch everyone in the face I come across that thinks otherwise! You are a god among gamers. You must be the ripe age of 13 or 14.

I never said it was a bad game. Also I bought and played my N64 when it was new, I just never got into Zelda.

You should probably respond to this with more assumptions, I've found that works out really well for people of your demeanor.

Says the guy who said he would shoot people who see things differently than you
    carlfoster91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By carlfoster91
    @FEnergyLegs said:
    @Elyk247 said:
    Ocarina of Time gets the accolades because it was the first 3D game that let you do what  you wanted. Sure Mario 64 was great, but Zelda appealed to a wider range of people because it was for kids (Kokiri Forest) and adults (Bottom of the Well). It's just like black and white films such as Casablanca and Citizen Kane; they're held in a higher regard because they are the first of their kind.   And sure we'd visited many places like this with A Link to the Past, it's just Ocarina was the first of it's kind. In a way, it was a Mass Effect or Red Dead Redemption because it realized a place that could slowly be unraveled and explored; while simultaneously keeping the same framework that made people love Zelda on the NES and SNES.  When something invents itself in a way that has never been done, that's the label it will be stuck with it forever.
    Wait wait wait Did you just compare OoT to Casablanca and Citizen Kane?  Wow. Casablanca and Citizen Kane are lauded for being perfect films, not for being the 'first of their kind.' Certainly it can be said that they laid groundwork for future films---because they did--- but their significance in the history of film is much greater than that of Ocarina of Time to video games. Even back in 1998 OoT was a flawed game, it featured absolutely no character development, and everything in its world felt so inconsequential.  
    Inconsequential? I feel like getting attacked by a swarm of cuckoos after slashing one repeatedly is fairly consequential :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.