Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 18, 2011

Link descends from his floating continent home to explore the dark and dangerous world below with the help of a magical sword, in this Wii installment of the Legend of Zelda series.

Do you prefer "button-only" or motion controls in Skyward Sword HD?

sweetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you prefer "button-only" or motion controls in Skyward Sword HD? (64 votes)

Button (analog stick) 75%
    Motion 23%

Against my better judgement, I bought Skyward Sword HD. I've got no other "big" game to play right now, I've been hankering for a Zelda-style game, and I never played it...hopefully I don't regret it too much.

Buying it was kind of a spur of the moment thing late last night and I didn't get much time to play it. The opening is pretty slow and I didn't get to the point where I was holding a sword.

I did try both control methods with what little interaction there is in the early game and it became clear that would take some getting to used to either one. So I'm trying to decide which to invest my time in.

I do hate the ergonomics of the joy-cons with a passion and always use a pro controller (and my Switch rarely leaves the dock), but the fidelity of the motion control when looking around and using the cursor was better than expected and impressed me a bit. I'm wondering if it's worth putting up with the joy-cons for the novelty of "swinging a sword".

Anyone else get this, what are you using?

• 
    Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I am very curious to know how well it controls with buttons-only because I am way more likely to pick this up if I don't have to touch motion controls.

I hate motion controls.

jsmith79327

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

20 hours in and I’ve only used button controls. It was weird at first but I got used to it pretty quick and haven’t thought much about it since. Love the game!

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It took me several hours to really get comfortable with the analog controls, but there are just too many parts of the motion controls that I found insufferable. The learning curve (and mostly just teaching my brain to override the want to flick the right stick to turn the camera some) is definitely worth it.

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found the motion controls acceptable, and since I spent the tutorial section with them, when I tried the button only, I got my ass handed to me, so I’m bog committed now (but also am only half way through but haven’t played in a week and a half.) I have been enjoying it on some levels and frustrated on others. It’s not holding me like other Zelda games have, but it’s also the first “traditional” Zelda I’ve played since twilight princess was a new game, meaning like 14 years, and perhaps I’ve just sort of moved on. Conversely, I’ve thought about starting over on BotW.

UltimAXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't touched the button controls because this is my first time ever playing Skyward Sword and I wanted to experience it the way that it was originally intended, but I would wholeheartedly suggest that you play with buttons. Swinging the sword and using the shield are just about the only things that I enjoy with the motion controls. Everything else is a pain in the ass, especially flying your goddamned loftwing. This is amplified by the right joycon constantly needing to be recalibrated. I don't know how common this is, but the deadzone will drift to the side every time you move it, and if you don't press the recalibrate button before trying to aim, say, your slingshot, your cursor will be pointed at some corner of the screen immediately upon entering first person. Yes, re-centering the cursor is a mere button press away at all times, but that shouldn't be necessary and having to do that while actively aiming is unpleasant. Essentially, every time I'm about to use any sort of motion control, and I mean fucking ANYTHING, I need to press the Y button first.

And after 20 hours with motion controls, it's a bit too late for me to wrap my head around the button configuration.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
    deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started with motion controls but the constant calibrating was a deal breaker for me, it's so damn distracting & irritating. I use a pro controller and while the control scheme could be better it's easy enough to learn and imo much more reliable than the motion controls.

As a side note I'm really enjoying the game this go around.

JonRambo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Button for me. I've mostly played handheld but have played docked with the pro controller some. The button controls are a little odd at first, but I got used to them pretty quick. Really enjoying the game so far as it's my first playthrough.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
    Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I really hated the motion controls first go round at it, while the button controls are far from perfect and highlight that the mob fights are just bad quick-time event, I find them much more comfortable in the long run. Anyway I don’t like the combat in the game but still enjoy the exploration and the puzzles, so it’s button controls for me.

noboners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ultimaxe: that was a prominent issue with the Wii version too. Shame that couldn't be figured out, but without a sensor bar it's not surprising.

But yeah this game very much seems to be "whichever control scheme you decide in the beginning, you're going to have to stick with the whole game because neither of them make complete sense and it's going to be an even bigger pain in the ass trying to figure out the other one further down the line."

sweetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sweetz

Thanks for the responses everyone, after this thread and watching a videos on the subject, I'm going to commit to the button controls. Having to use the analog stick to do attacks or even basic things like throw a pot is annoying, as is having to hold a button for camera control, but I think I can get used to those things. Some of the issues with the motion controls like flying, seem a lot worse, plus I just don't think my hands can take holding the little joy-cons and using their tiny buttons and analog sticks for a 30+ hour game.

PS this is the video I referenced. It's got a really thorough break down of the differences. Might help anyone else who is interested.

sweetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just a little update, I was finally able to put some decent time into the game and "button" controls were definitely the way to go for me personally, but even after 5 hours in, I'm still not used to having to hold the L button for camera control. Every single time I go to move the camera, I still do a sword swing first and then have to remind myself to hold the button.

What's funny is I've now gotten more used to not touching the right stick at all for camera control and just tapping the ZL button to reset the camera behind Link, Ocarina of Time style. I guess that's how it would have had to be played originally too.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.