Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 18, 2011

Link descends from his floating continent home to explore the dark and dangerous world below with the help of a magical sword, in this Wii installment of the Legend of Zelda series.

Forced widescreen on 4:3 TV's

Avatar image for deactivated-5f90eabee6bba
    deactivated-5f90eabee6bba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I still have a 4:3 Sony CRT and the game is forced into widescreen. The smaller picture isn't my problem, it's the lowering of the resolution of the game. It ends up losing what looks like 30% of the vertical pixels. I was wondering if there was anyway to turn this off. The only solution I have found is going into the Wii System Settings and setting it to 16:9.

The image is squashed but at least the whole screen is filled up. Also, it actually increases your field of view in a jury rigged kind of way. The image squashing isn't noticeable really except if you've been playing the game long enough to know that "Things shouldn't look this way. This also doesn't work with component cables. It sends the screen into crazy diagonal lines.

mac_n_nina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By mac_n_nina

no

the game is native widescreen so there will be black vertical bars on the top and bottom

i have an hd crt sony trinton solely for my wii and there are a few games that are native widescreen

new super mario bros wii is one as well

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Hizang

Yea I noticed that too, I'm really considering getting an old style TV to play these old games.

mac_n_nina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By mac_n_nina

@Hizang said:

Yea I noticed that too, I'm really considering getting an old style TV to play these old games.

if u can find an hd crt tv for really cheap like i did then u should definitely get it for the wii and also some component cables

it will make the wii look really nice in 480p and u won't notice the jaggies or anything since it's a 480p tv

Avatar image for deactivated-5f90eabee6bba
    deactivated-5f90eabee6bba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@Hizang: Picture quality for non-HD consoles is always confusing. I had a crappy 1080i Polariod TV that made my Wii games look awful with component, but at my friend's house with his large HDTV with component of a different brand looked great. The TV I use is an EDTV. They were made for a short period of time I think, but support 480p. Other Wii games that I have played with component cables look much better. You can see all the pixels, but at least it's not blurry anymore. I like seeing all the pixels.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I must say, I'm downright shocked by how ugly the game looks. It's VERY rough and jagged. Most Zelda games look quite amazing, so far this game hasn't impressed me graphically at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.