Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Lord of the Rings: War in the North

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Nov 01, 2011

The game is an action RPG featuring cooperative multiplayer developed by Snowblind Studios under the Lord of the Rings license. The game draws on both literary and movie influences to tell the story of three warriors fighting in the North of Middle Earth concurrently with the events of the books/movies.

Got a chance to play a demo of this at PAX East

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Kyle

I hadn't even heard of this game, but I saw it on the show floor at PAX East and had to play it. Graphics look good, combat seems fun, online multiplayer... and loot! Seems pretty awesome to me. Also, it's apparently the first LotR game with an M rating which allows for a bit of blood and gore. Couldn't hurt, I suppose.  

Unless I hear some significantly negative things near its release date, I'm pretty much sold. 

I know it's being developed by Snowblind, but I haven't played any of their other games so I can't really say how it compares to Dark Alliance or Champions. 

edit: btw, the guy running the demo said the release date was Q4 2011.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By 014

Thanks for the comments. I liked Dark Alliance. I didn't know about this game until I browsed gamewallpapers.com today. It's on my watch list now.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Captain_Insano

Just saw the trailer on the site, can this be played single player or is it MMO style? (the 'multiplayer game' bit threw me off). I'm presuming it is probably more Borderlands-esque, where you can play it single player but it is better multi-player

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By AhmadMetallic

think im passing on this one

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Kyle
    @Captain_Insano: I think it's level-based. The demo I tried was pretty linear. And there is offline play.

But I gotta say, the trailers they've been putting out since I first saw the game have been pretty bad : /
    Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Captain_Insano
    @Kyle: yea it looks fairly mediocre. I would be happy though with a competent, if mediocre Lotr game. Seems like a good game to read reviews for, play demo (if there is one) or rent briefly before buying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By 014

As long as it's not poor, I would like to get this game. It has been a long time since the Return of the King hack 'n' slash.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By crusader8463

Sadly, I think this is going to be a great game that no one ever buys. Which is a shame, since LOTR deserves a good dam game given how much of an influence it has had on the industry.

LUMIN4RY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By LUMIN4RY

I'll be watching this, thanks for the opinions and comments. I think it looks great.

excido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By excido

Man I feel like I'm the only one that's excited about this game, no one ever talks about it but when it's mentioned nothing bad about it is ever said. I'm going to pick this up on day 1 probably.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@excido
    I am very excited for it, but I want to see some pure gameplay videos (not vignettes or dev run throughs) or play a demo.
    It looks very fun but...yeah...I need confirmation!
    excido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By excido

Yea I saw some class/gameplay trailers on rockpaper shotgun the other day; you can check them out at http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/10/21/do-you-remember-lotr-war-in-the-north/. Game looks great to me and I don't think it's getting enough exposure, they need a better marketing team. I'm tentatively going to buy it on OnLive for only 35 bucks since I leave my OnLive in my office with my gaming PC. I try not to play very violent games around my daughter in the living room(where my ps3 is). I'll might buy it on PC though...haven't decided yet. either way it looks like a great game that's not getting enough exposure. I hope they mention it on the bombcast more when it is out.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@excido: Those I meant.
    Seen those and while they look good (enough) for a hack n slasher, I'd like to see a quick look type of deal.
    Pure gameplay, some menu's, no dev telling me its awesome.

This probably won't be an insane sleeper hit, but its looking like good fun in a genre we need more co op in!
    kerse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By kerse

I'm really curious about this one, not too optimistic after The Cursed Crusade being really bad though.

Avatar image for wrinklydinosaur
    WrinklyDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By WrinklyDinosaur

I am truly cautiously optimistic

Teleri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Teleri

Looks like it picked a bad month for release, what with all the neat games commin' out soon.

Still_I_Cry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By Still_I_Cry

@kerse: I really like that game actually :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.