Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Orange Box

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Oct 09, 2007

The Orange Box is a video game compilation that packages Half-Life 2 (including Episode 1 and Episode 2), Team Fortress 2, and Portal into one.

Are the PS3 Loading Times Really That Long?

Nets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Nets

I've been hearing the load times, plus some technical issues are preventing enjoyment of the game in the PS3 version (handled by  EA). I don't game on my PC, have no plans for another current gen console, so would someone who has the game for PS3, or alot of knowledge on it, fill me in if it's worth my cash? Thanks.

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By ahriman22

I didn't see any significant load times on my console. The game(s) is(are) great so it defenitally is worth it.

Guiltyspark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Guiltyspark

Load times will always be faster on 360

Even with ps3's installs , later this year EVERY 360 game in its library will have the option to be installed on the hardrive making the 360's loadtimes impossible to top by the ps3

Shinedown220

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Shinedown220
    Guiltyspark said:
    "

Even with ps3's installs , later this year EVERY 360 game in its library will have the option to be installed on the hardrive making the 360's loadtimes impossible to top by the ps3

"

The Orange Box loads slowly because of it being a poor port.
    Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Demilich
    Guiltyspark said:
    "

"
    Good sir don't lie.

I can say from experience it varies game to game. Usually it's about the same. The most notable example for me was GTAIV. PS3 was significantly faster and I only saw 3 or 4 pop-ins throughout the whole game. In my brief experience with the 360 version loading times were longer and there was a fair bit of pop-in. Nothing terrible though. Both versions are good to go, but PS3 has hotter prostitutes.
    MadExponent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MadExponent
    Demilich said:
    "Guiltyspark said:
    "

"
    Good sir don't lie.

I can say from experience it varies game to game. Usually it's about the same. The most notable example for me was GTAIV. PS3 was significantly faster and I only saw 3 or 4 pop-ins throughout the whole game. In my brief experience with the 360 version loading times were longer and there was a fair bit of pop-in. Nothing terrible though. Both versions are good to go, but PS3 has hotter prostitutes."
    The PS3 version is full of pop ins, both versions have them, but don't even try to say that the PS3 has less.  And, I have played and beaten both versions.  As far as load times, the PS3 has an install, so what do you expect?  Plus, it's not significantly faster. 
    TSchonbeck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TSchonbeck

I haven't noted any significant slower loading times compared to the 360.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Demilich
    MadExponent said:
    "Demilich said:
    "Guiltyspark said:
    "

"
    Good sir don't lie.

I can say from experience it varies game to game. Usually it's about the same. The most notable example for me was GTAIV. PS3 was significantly faster and I only saw 3 or 4 pop-ins throughout the whole game. In my brief experience with the 360 version loading times were longer and there was a fair bit of pop-in. Nothing terrible though. Both versions are good to go, but PS3 has hotter prostitutes."
    The PS3 version is full of pop ins, both versions have them, but don't even try to say that the PS3 has less.  And, I have played and beaten both versions.  As far as load times, the PS3 has an install, so what do you expect?  Plus, it's not significantly faster. "
    I'm saying it has less because I own the game and in the short while I played the 360 version I encountered more than in my entire time playing my copy. And I'm talking about close range pop-ins. Not the ultra-frequent and inevitable distant ones.
    MadExponent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MadExponent
    Demilich said:
    "MadExponent said:
    "Demilich said:
    "Guiltyspark said:
    "

"
    Good sir don't lie.

The PS3 version is full of pop ins, both versions have them, but don't even try to say that the PS3 has less.  And, I have played and beaten both versions.  As far as load times, the PS3 has an install, so what do you expect?  Plus, it's not significantly faster. "
    I'm saying it has less because I own the game and in the short while I played the 360 version I encountered more than in my entire time playing my copy. And I'm talking about close range pop-ins. Not the ultra-frequent and inevitable distant ones."

Close range it was quite uncommon to see on either platform.  The only thing I encountered funny enough was a popin where the ground hadn't rendered and that was on the PS3 version.  It looked like I was driving on an invisible road.  Only happened once though.  Thats never happened on 360.  Not saying that the PS3 is bad, I'm just saying that it definitely happens on both.  If you wanna talk bad pop in, look at Uncharted and Mass Effect.  Mass Effect has them commonly, but they pop in quick.  Uncharted has pop in all the time and it takes as long as ten full seconds for the correct texture to pop in.
    Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Demilich

I've only played the demo of Uncharted and it seemed fine. Never played Mass Effect.

I'll rent Uncharted next time it's in.

MatsSundin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By MatsSundin
    Nets said:
    "I've been hearing the load times, plus some technical issues are preventing enjoyment of the game in the PS3 version (handled by  EA). I don't game on my PC, have no plans for another current gen console, so would someone who has the game for PS3, or alot of knowledge on it, fill me in if it's worth my cash? Thanks."
    I have both a 360 and a ps3 and the loading times can not be generalized to the consoles. I've never felt that one of the consoles loads faster since it always varies from game to game.
    DualReaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By DualReaver

Get it for the PC, the console versions are terrible.

MatsSundin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By MatsSundin
    MadExponent said:
    "Demilich said:
    "MadExponent said:
    "Demilich said:
    "Guiltyspark said:
    "

"
    Good sir don't lie.

I'm saying it has less because I own the game and in the short while I played the 360 version I encountered more than in my entire time playing my copy. And I'm talking about close range pop-ins. Not the ultra-frequent and inevitable distant ones."

Close range it was quite uncommon to see on either platform.  The only thing I encountered funny enough was a popin where the ground hadn't rendered and that was on the PS3 version.  It looked like I was driving on an invisible road.  Only happened once though.  Thats never happened on 360.  Not saying that the PS3 is bad, I'm just saying that it definitely happens on both.  If you wanna talk bad pop in, look at Uncharted and Mass Effect.  Mass Effect has them commonly, but they pop in quick.  Uncharted has pop in all the time and it takes as long as ten full seconds for the correct texture to pop in."
    I'm sorry but Mass effect pop ins are much more longer and frequent then Uncharted. Only through my 3rd playthrough of uncharted did I notice them a bit from time to time. Mass effect textures pops in literally every other time you go from area to area since there are frequent loading screens.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pause422

Since the Orange Box honestly fails more on both consoles than Pc to begin with I really don't care...and it was definitely a poor port from EA. Almost every game I've played on PS3 has a fine loading time or faster than 360 if it has an install. Obviously when the install option happens with the 360 it can load a bit faster, its still not going to make it more lightning fast.. I played both version of GTAIV...they both loaded just as slow at the intro screen,every game varies with load times on both consoles, I tried SCIV on both as well, it loading at least 6-7 seconds faster on PS3 constantly than 360. Thats the truth here, don't listen to the fanboy, thats all he comes in to do constantly, has no truth in his trolling.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Demilich

I've played the Orange Box on PS3 and PC only, so i can't comment on the differences in load times between the two consoles. It's leagues ahead on PC of course.

Patchinko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Patchinko
    DualReaver said:
    "Get it for the PC, the console versions are terrible."
    This man speaks the truth. Orange Box is dumpy on consoles (Well, I've only played the 360 version, but compared to the PC version on my desktop, it was crap.)
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By OmegaPirate

Orange box =bad port

Much better on pc!

Back to original question i have heard horror stories about the loading times ON orange box for both consoles - never tried either im afraid so couldnt really tell you.
    However if they are as bad as they are rumoured to be - you could buy the game - try it and then easily take it back saying it appears to be broken (loading times - pop up  - disc slow etc)

Unfortunately any questions such as this are going to result in some kinda flame war ^_^  - you are gonna have to find this experiance out first hand tbh mate <3

Nets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Nets

Thanks for the input, guys. But if you are gonna get into a big arguement, please bring it elsewhere.

Nets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Nets

Haha yeah OmegaPirate, I never thought there would be a huge arguement in such little time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.