Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Saboteur

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Dec 08, 2009

The Saboteur is a action-packed, free-roaming sandbox game that takes place in Nazi-occupied France during World War II. Drive the Nazis out of Paris through whatever means necessary as Irish mechanic-turned-race-car-driver-turned-soldier-of-fortune Sean Devlin.

Missed a spot: The Saboteur missing a sledgehammer?

Ghil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By Ghil

I am late, as always. The saboteur, last year underdog that went to die in an already lost fight against Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed II, passed me by as it did many of us. Sales where lackluster, reviews where not that good, and Pandemic already being dismantled, the game quickly got shoved into the bin section, where it was forgotten and lost. 

A friend of mine comes by my apartment to gift me the game, saying it was in the bargain bin, and he knew I loved open world games. I pop it in that very evening, and quickly grows fond of it. It's not earth shattering by any means, but what it does, it does it well. Most of the mechanics present in the game are borrowed from other open-world games, like Assassin's creed, the Grand Theft Auto series, and a little of Red Faction Guerilla. I will write an in-dept review when I'm finished with the game, but I had to share this little detail with you all:

The only thing missing from this game to truly be greatness incarnate is the Red Faction physics engine, along with a sledgehammer, for good measure. There are so many things to destroy in this game (taking the form of freeplay targets like nazis sniper towers, ligthing and comm equipments, tanks, bridges and so on), that it seems a bit underwhelming to know that I'll have to destroy them all using two things, dynamite and rockets. if every building was collapsible, if every tower was breakable, you could do so much with Paris. You could have so much fun in The Saboteur

Alas, the game did not get the funding or the time necessary to polish the game, so it would have been a stretch to ask for a physics enabled destruction simulator in Paris. Such shame.

P.s: When you put topless girls in your game, at least try to make them move like the real thing. Ugh, those animations...

Ghil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Ghil

I am late, as always. The saboteur, last year underdog that went to die in an already lost fight against Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed II, passed me by as it did many of us. Sales where lackluster, reviews where not that good, and Pandemic already being dismantled, the game quickly got shoved into the bin section, where it was forgotten and lost. 

A friend of mine comes by my apartment to gift me the game, saying it was in the bargain bin, and he knew I loved open world games. I pop it in that very evening, and quickly grows fond of it. It's not earth shattering by any means, but what it does, it does it well. Most of the mechanics present in the game are borrowed from other open-world games, like Assassin's creed, the Grand Theft Auto series, and a little of Red Faction Guerilla. I will write an in-dept review when I'm finished with the game, but I had to share this little detail with you all:

The only thing missing from this game to truly be greatness incarnate is the Red Faction physics engine, along with a sledgehammer, for good measure. There are so many things to destroy in this game (taking the form of freeplay targets like nazis sniper towers, ligthing and comm equipments, tanks, bridges and so on), that it seems a bit underwhelming to know that I'll have to destroy them all using two things, dynamite and rockets. if every building was collapsible, if every tower was breakable, you could do so much with Paris. You could have so much fun in The Saboteur

Alas, the game did not get the funding or the time necessary to polish the game, so it would have been a stretch to ask for a physics enabled destruction simulator in Paris. Such shame.

P.s: When you put topless girls in your game, at least try to make them move like the real thing. Ugh, those animations...

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By AhmadMetallic
    @Ghil:  
    i disagree.. this isnt a destruction game, it's in Nazi-occupied France and those scary military equipment and sites around the map (all the things you can destroy) are not supposed to be smashed in a fun way, they're supposed to be blown up stealthily and while you're holding your breath 
    it's fuck up the atmosphere if i was able to run around nazi-occupied france with a sledgehammer, smashing everything in my path

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.