Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Technomancer

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Jun 28, 2016

A sci-fi RPG set during the 'War of Water' on Mars.

The Technomancer releases June 21st

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I can't really explain why I'm excited for this. It's probably going to be a bad-middling game. But there's something about it. It looks like it's janky in just the right ways. It also doesn't hurt that it has one of the best dumb names around.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I thought Mars: War Logs was alright, and these folks are the ones carrying the b-tier Euro-jank torch right now, so I'll pick this up at some point.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By Humanity

Isn't this some sort of follow up or continuation to that Mars: War Logs game? Parts of this looks interesting while other parts clunky - the combat especially seems a little stiff.

I can see the allure as it's a fresh IP with a lot of interesting new lore. It speaks to me personally because I vastly prefer sci-fi to fantasy but I'm not sure if this is anything I'll be especially looking forward to. It probably sucks for a developer that put a lot of time and effort into making the game to hear this, but it's something I might pick up down the road on a steep discount.

UncleBenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

My dream of a wizard who attacks you with heart thumping beats will never die.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By rethla

@humanity: It doesnt suck for a developer to hear that, their entire pricingstrategy is designed after people like you ;)

On topic it looks like these guys are getting more and more inspiration from The witcher which is good. Their previous games has also been medikoer to good but i need more Witcher type of games.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: It's set in the same continuity/universe of Mars: War Logs but I don't know if it's meant to be a direct sequel to it.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By whitegreyblack

@humanity: It's in the same universe.

Funny thing is, after playing Mars: War Logs last fall, Technomancer's combat looks incredibly fluid in comparison.

edit: Call me crazy, but I'd buy a Mars: War Logs/Technomancer double-pack disc release for current consoles.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@whitegreyblack: This combat looks incredible fluid compared to any RGP out there.

equality7221

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've only heard middling reviews so far. Has anyone been brave enough to pick it up for themselves? The reviews made the combat look really punishing and not very fun, e.g. very squishy protagonist.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Sterling

I'm curious also if anyone has picked this up and their thoughts on it. It looks okay, but I'm not sure I want to drop $60 on it. The combat looks pretty janky.

You know what, screw it. I'm going to buy it. Its probably better than this garbage that is Star Ocean (its so bad). I'll post my thoughts on it tomorrow night. Since it will take me 8 hours to download with my horrible internet.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@sterling: Oh man I dunno man, you already pulled the trigger on this but I haven't heard the best of things about any of it.

hellerphant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I haven't played it yet, but a guy at my work picked it up and is about 5 hours in. He describes it as "a sci-fi Sleeping Dogs, but with better combat." I'll put his thoughts into dot points:

• Really cool premise
    • World is a little barren
    • Combining combat skills and the Technomancer abilities is a really fun combat loop, better than the latest Dragon Age
    • Voice acting is good and the writing is solid. It's not amazing, but it's not horrendous either

When I asked him if it's worth the $60 AUD, he paused, tilted his head and said "not sure, but I really like it".

So conflicted, anyone here played it yet?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

Bound by Flame was probably one of the single worst RPGs I've ever played. If not for the unintentionally hilarious script and voice acting, I don't think I would've stuck through it as long as I did, and even then I didn't complete it. That game is amateur-hour RPG writing and design at its finest trying super hard to punch above its weight, so you might say I have a morbid interest in hearing what people think of The Technomancer.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm liking it so far. I like Bound by Flame, and I like this. I also really liked Arcania and Two Worlds 2, and Risen, and all that "Euro Jank". I usually like those kind of games. And this is that but with Sci-fi this time. And I'm really digging it. Combat is a little simple and easy so far. I might increase the difficulty. If you don't like those kind of games, I would recommend avoiding this. But if you liked any of those, I'd recommend checking it out. Maybe not risk $60 on it like I did. But check it out eventually.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Why does everyone in this game look like Dolph Lundgren?

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@sterling said:

I'm liking it so far. I like Bound by Flame, and I like this. I also really liked Arcania and Two Worlds 2, and Risen, and all that "Euro Jank". I usually like those kind of games. And this is that but with Sci-fi this time. And I'm really digging it. Combat is a little simple and easy so far. I might increase the difficulty. If you don't like those kind of games, I would recommend avoiding this. But if you liked any of those, I'd recommend checking it out. Maybe not risk $60 on it like I did. But check it out eventually.

There was a time when I didn't mind those games. I remember liking Risen well enough, and Two Worlds 2(not the first one, though). I also played Bound by Flame, but by the time I finished that I started to think that I can't tolerate this stuff anymore, so I'm not sure if I want to ever check this game out or not.

I say that after just finishing all the side quests in the new Star Ocean, a game that I don't really like, yet have played 36 hours of. I gotta stop doing this.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never played a Spiders game because they always looked super janky and the voice acting seemed terrible. But I'm actually really enjoying this game. The combat with the different stances is pretty fun. Maybe having low expectations helps. I would say it would be a really good $30 purchase... $60 on consoles seems steep. At least it was only $38 or something on PC right now.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By frymillstrum

I thought this was a sci-fi sequel/spin off to Crypt of the Necrodancer. I guess it would have been called Technodancer though.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@metalbaofu: Does SO get better than the first few hours? I played about 2 hours and turned it off. Haven't been able to turn it on again.

aktivity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bound by Flame was probably one of the single worst RPGs I've ever played. If not for the unintentionally hilarious script and voice acting, I don't think I would've stuck through it as long as I did, and even then I didn't complete it. That game is amateur-hour RPG writing and design at its finest trying super hard to punch above its weight, so you might say I have a morbid interest in hearing what people think of The Technomancer.

This is why I keep buying these Spiders games. My curiosity too see if they'll someday put out a game on their budget that can compete with the "big boys" gets the better of me.
    The combat is jank again, but this is the most OK any of their stories has ever been (huge plus for me). I hope it stays decent/good.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Lost_Remnant

@sterling: Did you ever play any of Mars: War Logs? If you did how does it stack up compared to that game?

As someone who played through and beat Mars: War Logs and actually ended up enjoying that game, I have a vested interest in Technomancer being good. Everything I've heard about it makes it sound like it's in the spirit of that game but with a steep sixty dollar asking price. I only paid five dollars for the previous game so I imagine I'll wait a bit on this one as well.

I appreciate that Spiders keeps trying, despite their budget never seeming to match their ambition. At the very least, not a whole lot of RPG's take place on Mars, I love the red planet as a setting and War Logs and this game seem to hit Sci-Fi beats that I enjoy so I'm definitely picking it up at some point.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lost_remnant: I have not played Mars: War Logs. I don't play a lot of PC only games. And the ones I do are usually strategy, 4x or the like. But after watching some videos of the game play just now, I can clearly see its the evolution of that game. Very similar. But they have added more depth to the rpg elements, and improved on the combat.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By MetalBaofu

@sterling said:

@metalbaofu: Does SO get better than the first few hours? I played about 2 hours and turned it off. Haven't been able to turn it on again.

Nope, not really. Main dudes starting attack, Double Slash, is his strongest/best attack it seems. You can just set it to the strong attack button and use it over and over to win pretty much every fight. Story is poop. The quests I mentioned are terrible, and I have come to firmly believe the majority of them were put in just to pad the game's length. One example, I got a quest to go somewhere and kill some enemy. I go do that and run back to turn it in, then a new quest pops up to go back to the exact same place and kill something else. I do so, and go back. Another quest pops up to go back again. It did that four times in a row in that instance. The place I had to go fight wasn't far away, but still. That also happened more than once at different locations.

While there was a few times when I feel you can see where there was potential for a good game, it all just vanishes pretty quickly to me. Overall, everything just feels pretty bland and uninspired. Now, keep in mind that's me after 34 hours, and 100 or so stupid side quests. If someone played it only doing a handful of quests, and focusing on the main missions I could see them not having a completely terrible experience, but I have not got much enjoyment at all.

Ok...that said, now I gotta go finish the story, so I can send it back to Gamefly.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Humm.. I went back and watched some of the Bound by Flame QL and it looks almost identical to this game. Like they just re-skinned it with some of Mars War Logs assets. I guess I shouldnt care since I never played their past games but it seems a bit lazy. Anynoe play both games? I've gotten a couple of hours in and am starting to get a bit tired of the way they structure the areas... it's like a maze for the sake of being confusing and nothing else.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.