Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

Ridiculous Accents...

Jaize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Jaize

I'm curious, does the American release of The Witcher 2 feature the same ridiculously hilarious accents as the one released in the UK?  

Being a Brit myself I'm oft exposed to similar accents, but I find the ones in both releases of the Witcher to be so obscenely silly that they render some of the most sombre scenes and situations ludicrously funny. Just as the Russel Crowe portrayal of Robin Hood was so badly accented that it rendered the entire movie into a comedy, I'm not really sure that using Liverpudlian accents and faux Irish and Scottish accents was the best choice. 

Often when games are assessed their graphics and functionality are reviewed, and rarely the calibre of the acting involved is scrutinised.  

I'm just wondering if the ridiculousness of the accents is evident in the US releases and if it sounds as silly to Americans as it does to me. >>

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Subjugation

I'm not a huge fan of whoever did the VO for Dandelion. The rest of them sound alright to me. Maybe CDPR just sucks at finding appropriate UK voice actors. 

Edit: I have the US version. I'm not sure if the VO is different for the UK.

emergency

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By emergency

I have only played up to and around the kayran part, so perhaps i'm not in a position to adequately comment. I've had no problems with the accents thus far, I think the british accents are a solid choice for a game like this. They fit well in my opinion into the backdrop. It's a little strange, when one person is scottish and the next welsh but sure. I'm 99% sure there is one english version, I don't see why there'd be multiple.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By AlexW00d

The overly Rural accents are awesome man. I think they are all fine.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By valrog

I have rather low standards when it comes to voice acting, but I quite enjoy it here. I'm a little sad that they changed Letho's voice (He sounded so awesome in the trailers), but I guess I got used to it by now and overall it's pretty satisfying. Then again, unless they pull a Bethesda I'm happy.

The important characters all have great voices, if you ask me.

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Adamsons
    @AlexW00d said:

The overly Rural accents are awesome man. I think they are all fine.

This!

Some of the incidental voice acting is genuinely hilarious also - Pig eye story in Act 2, "Give us a kiss!" dwarf. The high pitched father / son duel quest in act 2 was awesome too.

Edit - Of the main characters I felt Iorveth, Roche and Zoltan were the best.
    Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By Animasta

which ones specifically?

VoshiNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By VoshiNova

Wit-cha!

Hardgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#9  Edited By Hardgamer

I rarely use that.

Jaize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jaize

The main actors, I must admit, aren't that bad. But the plethora of rural accents can become a little silly. Its a good job there are no fire farms in the Witcher world, lest there be background NPCs wandering around shouting, "'ere, he's got a shoota" 

Iorveth... not sure who voiced him but he sounds a lot like David Thewlis who played Professor Lupis in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkhaban. Maybe its just me though >>

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By awe_stuck

American version is fine for me.

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Adamsons
    @Jaize said:
    The main actors, I must admit, aren't that bad. But the plethora of rural accents can become a little silly. Its a good job there are no fire farms in the Witcher world, lest there be background NPCs wandering around shouting, "'ere, he's got a shoota"  Iorveth... not sure who voiced him but he sounds a lot like David Thewlis who played Professor Lupis in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkhaban. Maybe its just me though >>
    I felt he had kind of an Alan Rickman /Snape/ vibe, I think its just the immense disdain that comes from the character.
    JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13  Edited By JasonR86

You xenophobic mother-fucker!!!

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By valrog
    amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By amir90

I have the european version, I don't mind the voicework.

Vlaphor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Vlaphor

My only real problem with the accents is that Geralt seems to lose his mid sentence sometimes. Makes him sound like a totally different character.

Avatar image for celegorm_menegroth
    celegorm_menegroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought Dandelion was ... not great. But, compared to his VO in Witcher 1, he's freakishly awesome!

The others? Outstanding. I thought the overall quality of the voice work was much better than other games I've seen/played recently ... especially those coming from companies which brag about the number of books their games contain in voice work. I didn't think Saskia put a lot of ... power? ... into her "motivational speech," though. Letho is one of my favorites.

And, from a "fictional rationalization" to use so many types of accents standpoint ... we are talking about a region with multiple kingdoms with their own cultures and backgrounds. So, it makes sense that you'd hear people who talk with a variety of accents in the areas visited in-game. You were at a trading post, after all.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Cirdain

Really... I couldn't give a shit. It isn't anything as jarring asjust cause 2, so that's cool.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Dandelions voice is ridicules, every time I here his American accent it just pulls me out of the game 

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By Seppli
    jmood88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jmood88

I just don't understand why Dandelion and Triss are the only ones who sound American.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bell_End

my biggest grip was how many times the lines got repeated. so annoying

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.