Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

The Last Wish

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Contro

No Caption Provided
    It seems clear that some are intrigued by The Witcher 2 and are eager to get immersed in the world. In my eyes there's no better way than to indulge in the source material. If you haven't already, you should do yourselves a favour and read Andrzej Sapkowski's books, especially if you have an interest in Tolkien's work and the Viking Sagas, Sapkowski's work is clearly inspired by both, but it also has unique nuances which originate from ancient Slavic folklore & mythology. 

The books are cheap and there are e-Book versions floating around.     

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By phrosnite

I'm from Bulgaria... so unique Slavic nuances are known to me and I hate it all. This is one of the reasons why I didn't like the Witcher. But for those who haven't grown up in that stuff might find it interesting and unique... Enjoy.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Scooper

Thanks man, I'll check them out just after I finish reading The Last Continent, Terry Pratchett.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By armaan8014

Well ive read The Blood of the Elves (the first translated part) and am currently reading The Last Wish and I can;t tell you how immensely I'm enjoying it. It's a great book, all fans of the game should try it!

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By unchained

Excellent. 

While I own both The Last Wish and Blood of Elves, I haven't gotten around to reading either yet. I just wrapped up Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series (Malazan is uttterly incredible. Erikson has usurped George R. R. Martin as my favorite fantasy author - something I never thought would happen).  I'll probably dive into the books in the summer. It should make replaying The Witcher and Witcher 2 even more enjoyable - always a good thing. 

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
    @Contro said:

No Caption Provided

but it also has it's own unique Slavic nuances which are cool.   
    Sold. 
    unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By unclejohnny79
    @CaLe said:
    @armaan8014 said:
    Well ive read The Blood of the Elves (the first translated part) and am currently reading The Last Wish and I can;t tell you how immensely I'm enjoying it. It's a great book, all fans of the game should try it!
    What? Blood of Elves is the first one? So I'm reading them in the wrong order?
    Blood of Elves is the first one, The last wish is a collection of short stories
    armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By armaan8014
    @CaLe said:

Dammit, I've had it backwards all along. I will never forgive myself for this until the day I die. This is a complete travesty.

Wait no you might have misunderstood my post. The last wish is a collection of short stories which came out before the Novels started. Here, this should help you out:

Short story collections

• (The Sword of Destiny) (1992)
    • (The Last Wish) (1993, English edition: 2008)
    •  (Something Ends, Something Begins) (2000) (this collection contains various stories by Sapkowski, including two from the Witcher saga).

Novels

• (Blood of Elves) (1994, English edition: 2008)
    • (Times of Contempt) (1995, English edition: Planned 2011)
    • (Baptism of Fire) (1996)
    • (The Swallow's Tower) (1997)
    • (Lady of the Lake) (1999)

So only two of those have been translated, and of the novels, only one (Thats the Blood of Elves) is in English. So unless you were reading the Polish version, there's no way you could have read it backwards since only first of the five novels are in english.
    Or if you mean you read Blood of Elves before The last Wish, then thats no problem as even I did just that. (albeit purposely) Those stories are not related directly :)
    Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Subjugation

When we are talking unique Slavic nuances, what exactly does that mean?

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Contro
    @weeman105 said: 

When we are talking unique Slavic nuances, what exactly does that mean?

I was referring to the writers mirroring of ancient customs, beliefs and mythology from the Slavic region, before Christianity came along, Beliefs concerning amulets, circles, spoiling, potions, divination, and an array of gods & monsters.     
    Jangowuzhere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Jangowuzhere

I started the Last WIsh a long time ago, I still need to finish it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.