Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released May 17, 2011

The sequel to 2007's critically acclaimed role-playing game, The Witcher. Players again take control of Geralt of Rivia in this story-focused adventure.

Um...does this get better?

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By dtat

I'm not trying to troll, but I don't understand why people like the combat in this game. I must be doing something wrong, because this seems fucking awful. I've been playing for about 3 hours, and it still just feels like mashing buttons with absolutely no fun or strategy. enemies just surround me, and I have to roll mindlessly around like a dumbass, waiting for my block to recharge. Then I attack, but the sword swinging animations take so long that I've already been hit 5 times before I land a blow. I wish I had some AOE attacks to pick off the dozens of smaller monsters so I could focus on the bigger guys. I literally grown and facepalm every time I see an enemy, because I know I'm in for a frustrating, unsatisfying slog.

Please help. There is so much to like about this game, but...fuck me I really can't stand the fighting. Does it ever get better?

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ryanwho

Fighting doesn't get better. Play for the everything else. Later you can change your hair. Keep playing for that.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By NTM

I haven't played The Witcher 2, but from what I understand, the combat isn't the best thing the game has going for it so I don't know who you heard say it was good.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Giantstalker

Did they make the combat dramatically worse than it was in the first Witcher game? Because there it was okay, not the greatest but decent enough. Sounds like they fiddled with the formula a bit too much for the sequel.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I thought that most of the complainants came from the combat.

Statement.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Vodun

It's an acquired taste. I learned to like it, getting gang raped is an issue though, so I recommend going for skills that allow you to deal with that (like group fighting style).

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Dallas_Raines

Yep, the combat is mostly a cycle of roll, quen, slash. The potions and bombs help when fighting a large group of enemies, but you're still going to end up going through that cycle. People act like the combat is some complex, magical masterwork, but it's stupid simple when you got down to it.(And pretty silly to look at with all the rolling)

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By CaptainTightPants

The combat either clicks with you or it doesn't. I was finding it a bit difficult at first but after a bit of practice every single enemy in the game ( including the bosses) was a complete joke and really just all around fun to fight. Use Quen, and go in for an attack, since it shields you from a few attacks your animation wont be interrupted. Also roll in to an attack, you decimate groups with a simple strategy of roll, attack, roll, attack, and so on. Really though, I used Quen 99% of the time and rarely ever used any of the other spells.

If you still can't succeed in combat after some practice, sorry :( .

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By dtat

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't enjoying the combat. I'll keep at it though. I almost wish I could just turn on God mode haha.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Karkarov

@ryanwho said:

Fighting doesn't get better. Play for the everything else. Later you can change your hair. Keep playing for that.

I don't remember getting to change my hair. I would have been much more into the game if I could. Geralt needs to trim up a bit, a nice shave wouldn't hurt either.

Seriously though, OP I agree. I have seen a metric ton of praise heaped on this game it flat out is not deserving of. It is not the best RPG ever made, it isn't even in contention, yes it is really pretty to look at though.

newhaap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By newhaap

@Dtat: I agree with @ryanwho, the fighting doesn't get better. It takes a lot to get used to, but once you do get used to it then it's actually pretty enjoyable. The thing is you really can't be greedy and keep hacking at your opponent, you have to wait for them to attack you, dodge and then hit them two or three times and roll away. And then wait for the next opportunity and rinse and repeat...

... at least on the normal difficulty :p

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Dallas_Raines

@Karkarov:

The hair stuff got patched in.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By valrog

@Vodun said:

It's an acquired taste.

Hah, I was just about to post this. Much like the first game's combat, too.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Considering the fact that people criticized the combat of the first Witcher which i REALLY enjoyed, I'll just have faith in Witcher 2 and i'm sure it will grow on me. 

It's on its way in the mail so I must ;p

Crossroads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Crossroads

I'd say it does get better. The reason is that Geralt becomes stronger, while his enemies don't. So the first time you encounter a new type of enemy, it's going to fuck you silly. But once you gain a couple of levels on it, occasionally upgrading your equipment, it'll become much less of a problem. Of course, if you ever become sloppy or lazy during a fight, you'll definitely die. That doesn't change. I think it was somewhere during act 2 when combat became fun and cool.

valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By valrog
    @Crossroads: Not to mention Group Finishers. They make things a lot easier and are quite cool to look at. Though I have often found myself killing everyone before I even got the Adrenaline Bar to full. Might be different on higher difficulty levels.
    Piririn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Piririn

Every combat situation that i found difficult i just went for the riposte counters constantly.  
    They do not get interrupted and do alot more damage than a regular attack. 

Also dude, use those bombs!
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jimbo

I really enjoyed the combat, though it's definitely true that it is clumsy at times. Maybe try not relying on block / counter tactics so much? I hardly ever used block, and never felt like I needed to. I specced straight into spells as soon as I could, prioritising the talents which gave more stamina bars. There are only a few hard fights in the game, and only one which is really tricky (and that's optional).

Make sure to get and read the journal entries for the different enemy types too, because they'll often tell you the best way to go about fighting something.

Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Zithe

@Dtat: Just wait until you fight...uhh...trying to to spoil anything here, but there is a certain boss fight where things began to click for me. When I first encountered it, I thought it was fucking impossible. I died after barely scratching the boss. It took several tries, but I slowly learned how the combat works and got better at it until I beat him and then I was much better off for the rest of the game. Maybe this will happen for you as well.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20  Edited By Marz

It's a fairly easy combat system to get used to, i think the mistake in the early moments of the game  i see most people making is relying on block and them not realizing it takes a block/pip of vigor away which takes away your abilitiy to cast spells and think that their buttons aren't responsive due to them not having any more vigor.  it's the only flaw in the combat that I can see frustrating people the most.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Binman88

You have to take your time and learn the mechanics of the combat. It can take a little work getting your head around it at first, and can be quite unforgiving, but it just takes getting used to. I loved it once I got used to it, but if you're really hating it I can't say you'll end up loving it too.

jetsetwillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jetsetwillie

im at chapter 2 and i've been really enjoying the combat so far.

found playing with a controller is way better than with KB/M.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By Tennmuerti

Combat didn't get better.

I got better.

And it became very enjoyable especially when you can just keep the flow going and effortlessly school everyone.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Use your bombs and signs, don't just rely on your sword and dodging.

Potions become mandatory pretty quickly as well.

dyong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dyong

You can't hoard items in this game. If you have bombs, traps and throwing daggers, use them. You can have a nice game of rolling bomberman by rolling around the room with slowing and damaging traps. It's a bit different coming from the first game where it was go into Gryphon stance and I.W.I.N.

laugurinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By laugurinn

Try some of the mods that are out there.

These made the game playable for me.

These two almost fix the combat for me. The boss fights are still too much though.

Weight Watchers

Since there are no chests but your pockets to store stuff like Iron Ore this is very helpful and not "cheating" in any way in my book.

Non-essential mods but good:

Panel Tweaks

Intro Logo Removal

For the boss fights I just install a god mode mod and uninstall it when finished. Life's too short.

Hope this helps.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@laugurinn said:

For the boss fights I just install a god mode mod and uninstall it when finished. Life's too short.

hahaha

Adamsons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Adamsons

Use light attacks and lead into heavy ones when the light connects (for things like warrior Nekkers.) Also - pretty sure the lead attack you end up doing is also due to the direction you are facing / holding. For huge groups a few bombs will annihilate them, especially Nekkers.

Also be aware that getting hit from behind does huge damage, during most of Flotsam a warrior Nekker comboing you from behind will wipe you out.

Edit - You could always just drop the difficulty to easy, as nothing ever blocks, its pretty trivial.

For me the early enemies boiled down to..

Endraga - Light attack to lead and then just tunnel heavy strikes into them, the only thing to be careful of with Endragas is when there is a bizarrely large amount of them (had a few freak occasions during my 2 playthroughs where 8 - 12 of them would appear at one time.) In huge groups try to separate them and use line of sight so they cant spam charge at you.

Nekkers - Prioritize warriors - use light attacks to lead into them, hitting them with heavy straight away usually just results in them dodging, for the few times you fight obscene groups of them (Malena), just use bombs.

Wraiths / Scoia'tael - Easiest way imo is just to pop mind control on one of them, avoid strikes and tunnel them from behind.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Ravenlight

@Dtat said:

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who isn't enjoying the combat. I'll keep at it though. I almost wish I could just turn on God mode haha.

Unless they patched this mod functionality out, you CAN do this. I ran through my third playthrough with godmode on, was good times.

http://modsreloaded.com/god-mode

Juicebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Juicebox

No it does not.

laugurinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By laugurinn

Hmm my post somehow got mangled. Link thing bugged? Anyway....

Essential mods (again):

CEO Complete overhaul

Better Combat

DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DAFTPUNK

I don't mind the combat, I actually like it.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By GaspoweR

I don't really approach it like I would in most character action games though the game does seem to look like it does initially. It has a lot more to do with being more smart about the battle preparation (alchemy, potion drinking, etc.), enemies, vigor management, and lastly sign/trap use. I actually use the Axii sign to mind control at least one enemy then I have a better chance at backstabbing enemies that are distracted by their mind-controlled comrade early on. That's what makes the combat fun for me. Combat in this game is different compared to something like Assassin's Creed or Dragon Age. It's not as fast paced or counter/chain combo heavy as Assassin's Creed or as limiting as in Dragon Age, which you can directly control characters and assign commands but you can't do specific actions such as dodge, parry, or counter/riposte, and besides your controlling an entire party in this game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.