Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released May 19, 2015

CD Projekt RED's third Witcher combines the series' non-linear storytelling with a sprawling open world that concludes the saga of Geralt of Rivia.

Hearts of Stone discussion *Spoilers*

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

So I finally got around to finishing up Hearts of Stone tonight and really loved it (as I've enjoyed most of TW3 so far) but noted that there was no thread on here for really discussing our thoughts on it.

They really tried to make some of the combat encounters a bit more thinky this time around. I thought the expansion stuff was really difficult

The wedding stuff with Vlodomir is some of my favourite content from the entire game - up there with The Bloody Baron questline in terms of the writing.

Iris von Everec and that whole sequence was creepy and atmospheric. though seriously fuck those specter spiders and that big arse one or two hit kill giant spider.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The Caretaker was straight up from Bloodborne or Dark Souls games. I really enjoyed the expansion, I can't wait for Blood and Wine next year.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Teddie

It was pretty good, yeah. Like, it makes me wish even more that the main game was more focused narrative-wise even if it was only half the length. This short story felt more fulfilling and complete than that padded/wonky main quest. They even had a compelling, and more importantly present, antagonist(s), which the main game sorely lacked (seriously, can you name a single guy from the Wild hunt anymore?).

I like that they tried to change up the boss battles, but the combat is still kinda bad and unresponsive and so stuff like the Caretaker was no fun for me. I think overall this expansion was a nice reminder of the things I did or didn't enjoy about the main game.

Also I was too lazy to trek back out of the dungeon it leaves you at post-game, so that'll be a nice "goddammit" moment when I load the game up for the next expansion.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

I've really enjoyed it from the quest/story perspective.

Aside from that the fact that they made a high level version set that looks like the set you start the game with (with some visual upgrades) is awesome for me because that was my favorite look for Geralt by far, and now that you can make sets whatever type you want it's even better.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
    militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By militantfreudian

I haven't gotten around to finishing it yet, but I think I only have one major quest left. I personally loved the main game including its story structure -- as a matter of fact, I think it's one of the finest games I played all year. That said, I think all the expansion quests I've completed so far have been generally better than anything from the main game.

The story in Heart of Stone is more focused and briskly paced, and as a result, the expansion manages to string together standout moments at a much higher rate. I think the tonal shifts in quests are handled much more deftly in the expansion. It also helps that the quests are diverse and each has a unique narrative twist to it. Also thankfully, the cinematics aren't segmented like they were in the main game, and in terms of quality, they're on par with the best cutscenes in the main story quests (e.g. the battle of Kaer Morhen).

As far as the gameplay goes, I thought the combat was serviceable in the main game -- in fact, I really enjoyed it in the early goings when it was necessary to consider the weaknesses and resistances of each foe you encounter. The expansion brings that back with tougher boss fights that not only force you to use every tool at your disposal, but also require you to figure out their "gimmick" for lack of a better word.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was really good. Made even better by the fact that I hadn't played the game in like three months so the music and everything was kind of nostalgic actually.

MoonrakerB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I almost walked away from it with the Caretaker fight, but that was me rushing it being impatient. Overall really like it, especially the Heist and Iris section.

chrispaul92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By chrispaul92

I know they've said that they said that they're done with Geralt's story, but I hope they go back to this world at some point and go to places like where the Olfieri are from. I would be fascinated to see what the places outside the Northern Realms are like. I also loved that they were pretty ambiguous with Walter O'Dim. The most we got on him is that he is basically darkness incarnate. I can't imagine that he would turn up again in the next expansion, but I wouldn't complain seeing him show up again.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree that the Shani love plot didn't work as well for me. One thing I really like about Geralt as a character (some people seem to hate on Geralt) is that he is pretty well defined as to who he is, but you can still tailor him just enough in your own game. For me, Geralt loves Yennefer, in my main game he was okay to hook up with Keira, because he wasn't emotionally attached, but I avoided the love side stuff with Triss because there was too much emotionally tied there for him. At the end of the main game, it had worked pretty well for him and Yennefer. This DLC basically forces Shani onto you. Vlodomir was cracking on to her, but I tried to keep Geralt as maintaining a just friendship stance. Some of the later dialogue options though were either: hook up with Shani, or be a dick to her, so in my game they still ended up bumping uglies in the middle of the lake. I don't know if that sat well with my version of Geralt.

Busto1299

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tennmuerti: How do you make sets do whatever you want?

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@busto1299: Through the new rune craftsman guy, he can insert a runeword into the sockets that will make the armor into a different type, light/medium/heavy. You get one of them straight away others unlock as you upgrade his shop more.

Busto1299

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tennmuerti: Wow I never saw that stuff because I never had the coin to help him. What else does he offer?

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey guys, I'm currently playing through The Witcher 3 and loving it. If I decide to buy the DLC where does it fit into the game? Is it to be played after the main game is done or fit somewhere in between? I'm currently level 13 and have just reached Novigrad.

Thanks.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You need to be at least level 30 (the game recommends) to do the content. I found it tough even at level 30 (that's where I was at when I finished the main game)

This stuff can really fit any where in to the story, it doesn't hinge on any of the main story beats. For me it felt perfectly fine taking place after the main story. From a story perspective I think it would be more impactful if you at least see Skellige first (to see a bit of the game's diversity) before doing the DLC stuff. In any case, the difficulty means you need to have done a fair bit. The expansion is around 10 hours long.

The cool thing about the content is that I don't 100% know how many of the towns and stuff it happened in are 'new', or if they're locations I simply hadn't bothered visiting in the regular campaign.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@busto1299:There are some neat runewords, some quite useful, some less so, it depends a bit on your playstyle and build too. (i think sign builds would find more options to their liking)

Here is a list: http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Runewords tho it does not appear to be quite complete.

Some of what people found usefull for them: http://www.giantbomb.com/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt/3030-41484/forums/is-the-runewright-stuff-worth-it-1784766/#8

@frodobaggins: It's late-to-post game content, level 30ish. Tho some of the stuff in it you can do straight away (like unlocking the runesmith, he is super expensive however) You can play it either towards the end or even afterwards.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@dudeglove: Master Mirror actually is not just any kind of shade by the way like the Hym...he's way more than that. He (or rather it) is actually evil incarnate. There was something that the scholar in Oxenfurt mentions when you meet him, like a line of dialogue that somewhat confirms this.

Avatar image for tavistavistavis
    tavistavistavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed this dlc. As I did the whole game. My feelings for this game only get stronger as time passes.

BrunoFFS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really liked the DLC, some pretty good writing and it felt like a solid sidestory.

Am i the only person that actually likes the combat in The Witcher 3? Never felt unresponsive or anything like that.

Busto1299

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tennmuerti: So theoretically I could make my medium armor wolf gear act like light armor to give me increased stamina regeneration and I still have all of the protection and abilities of the default set? If so, thats awesome

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brunoffs said:

Really liked the DLC, some pretty good writing and it felt like a solid sidestory.

Am i the only person that actually likes the combat in The Witcher 3? Never felt unresponsive or anything like that.

It depends. For people going from Bloodborne to Witcher 3 I can see the complaints. And for console owners 30 fps is not constant and steady so that accentuates the floatiness of movement. If you have PC and can hit 60 fps 90% of the time it is a non-issue.

Personally myself never had that problem, I was surprised by complaints about movement when Witcher 3 released, I just adjusted in 30 minutes or so, it felt to me less gamey because it had animation priority over tight controls. To be fair I never had that problem with GTA games also.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: I thought the fact that you're actually facing evil fucking incarnate is really neat. I also thought that it was a great design decision when it came to beating an entity who is essentially unkillable didn't involve a boss fight with life bars but by essentially outsmarting him at his own game.

BrunoFFS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brunoffs said:

It depends. For people going from Bloodborne to Witcher 3 I can see the complaints. And for console owners 30 fps is not constant and steady so that accentuates the floatiness of movement. If you have PC and can hit 60 fps 90% of the time it is a non-issue.

Personally myself never had that problem, I was surprised by complaints about movement when Witcher 3 released, I just adjusted in 30 minutes or so, it felt to me less gamey because it had animation priority over tight controls. To be fair I never had that problem with GTA games also.

Yeah, same.

Personally i had WAY more problems with Bloodborne's camera being fucked than i had with The Witcher in any aspect.

Went back to The Witcher 2 though and BOY, what a janky game. Couldn't continue because of the combat being so unresponsive.

Busto1299

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotta say, Gaunter O' Dimm is my favorite character in this DLC. His mysterious nature is very intriguing and I wonder if he will return for the next one.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaspower said:

@dudeglove: Master Mirror actually is not just any kind of shade by the way like the Hym...he's way more than that. He (or rather it) is actually evil incarnate. There was something that the scholar in Oxenfurt mentions when you meet him, like a line of dialogue that somewhat confirms this.

Yeah, he's basically the Devil. The fact that, after he 'saves' you from the Ofieri ship, you have to meet him at the crossroads at midnight is the first real big clue.

DigDoug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gaspower said:

Yeah, he's basically the Devil. The fact that, after he 'saves' you from the Ofieri ship, you have to meet him at the crossroads at midnight is the first real big clue.

i'm gonna blow you guys' minds. you ready?

remember how Uma was also called the Ugliest Man Alive? maybe Gaunter O'Dimm is...GOD?? *heads explode*

mak_wikus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@digdoug said:
    @captain_insano said:
    @gaspower said:

i'm gonna blow you guys' minds. you ready?

remember how Uma was also called the Ugliest Man Alive? maybe Gaunter O'Dimm is...GOD?? *heads explode*

Holy shit o_O

thom_hill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

just wanted to say that spoon moment freaked me out from how out of nowhere it is loved it all

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know this is older and not the most recent DLC, but I am catching up and just finished HoS and holy shit it was amazing.

Gaunter O'Dimm was fucking terrifying. They showed off just enough of his abilities to not make him overblown, and his dialog and VA delivered such a devious act...everything about it was awesome and extremely disturbing...and his music...good lord it's chilling.

I'm also now viewing the entirety of the original game in new light, seeing as what happens at the beginning of that game and what I know now. I hope Blood and Wine is just as good.

Rahf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Rahf

@takayamasama: B&W is not as focused and narrowly constricted (HoS is really just that one tremendous story). Few can measure up to Gaunter O'Dimm in the character department, but it is absolutely spectacular in its own right. You'll love the quiet stoicness of Regis, and the other main characters of that story. You'll get no more words beyond that. Have fun discovering that fantastic DLC on your own.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vampires are deadly mofos in Blood and wine. Can't remember last time they were portrayed in games with such force.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Finished Heart of Stone today and I loved it. Still have issues with the gameplay cycles of Witcher 3 but I'm always blown away by how good the writing and characters are in this universe. As soon as Gaunter O'Dimm starts showing up I was getting a real Q from Star Trek vibe and I was thoroughly entertained by that character from start to finish. Not sure what the pay off to trying to save Olgeird at the end is but I was not about to fuck with a deity on the level of Master Mirror.

Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
    RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mezmero said:

Finished Heart of Stone today and I loved it. Still have issues with the gameplay cycles of Witcher 3 but I'm always blown away by how good the writing and characters are in this universe. As soon as Gaunter O'Dimm starts showing up I was getting a real Q from Star Trek vibe and I was thoroughly entertained by that character from start to finish. Not sure what the pay off to trying to save Olgeird at the end is but I was not about to fuck with a deity on the level of Master Mirror.

The payoff is his gratitude and his neat Ofiri sword that allows you to do that red dash shit. Personally, I think having access to a bottle of bottomless strong alcohol is the better reward.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Been really enjoying this expansion so far but the boss fight against Iris' Nightmare has really sucked the momentum out of my playthrough. I've died so many times and learned the attack patterns so well that it's starting to feel like Dark Souls.

firecracker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah that nightmare boss fight kicked the shit out of me for quite sometime. Just got my ass handed to me over and over. I wound up swallowing my pride, and lowering the difficulty and managed to get the trophy (which must be fucking impossible on death march) for fighting all of them at once.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

All at once? Sounds nightmarish. I finally wrapped up the expansion and am excited about taking a trip into Toussaint.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah that nightmare boss fight kicked the shit out of me for quite sometime. Just got my ass handed to me over and over. I wound up swallowing my pride, and lowering the difficulty and managed to get the trophy (which must be fucking impossible on death march) for fighting all of them at once.

Just wait until you get to the tourney melees in Blood and Wine if your playing deathmarch :)

Basicly its the same thing but you cant use any potions or signs since it isnt honorable in a toruney to do so.

firecracker22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dgtlty said:

All at once? Sounds nightmarish. I finally wrapped up the expansion and am excited about taking a trip into Toussaint.

Yeah, must be. I mean, one or two of them coming at me once on Blood and Bones was a nightmare. All of them? With the one hit kill moves they've got? And the loading screen waiting for you once they sliced through me in seconds made it even worse.

At least the trophy isn't locked to a difficulty. Knocking the difficulty down to easy, and stopping the abuse, was what I did. No regrets on that.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Fredchuckdave

Played through this over the past few days, might write a larger blog post about it or wait until the end of the year when I christen the Witcher 3 GoTY again. Gaunter O'Dimm is great of course but not literally top shelf amongst motiveless villains, he falls more in line with Anton Chigurh and Daniel Plainview than with Iago and the Joker. There's not much wrong with the character or his voice acting or anything really so hard to criticize on that front but they did take a too direct approach with the description of his lore (granted the dude having to sit in a circle for all eternity is great) since there's always at least some amount of nebulousness when it comes to the devil being the devil. There's a lot of "best character ever" talk from very intelligent people but I'd say he's "only" top 5, Delita is still significantly better at doing similar things (though I think doing it without voice acting is a shitload easier so there's definitely an argument to be had), and lastly I wish he showed up in Blood in Wine in person for like a sidequest just to add some more nuance to the character in a different situation. The theme is too fucking good.

Edit: Also Geralt should not have a win condition no matter what, even one that implies he'll return.

After 10-15 years we finally have a decent comparison for Albedo from Xenosaga as far as superb villains go, since I think that's roughly the caliber of the character, though ma belle peche is still the best scene ever.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.