Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released May 19, 2015

CD Projekt RED's third Witcher combines the series' non-linear storytelling with a sprawling open world that concludes the saga of Geralt of Rivia.

Should I start now or wait for patch 1.08?

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Castiel

So I got this game as a birthday present (PS4 version) but since the latest update apparently messed a few things up including the framerate on the consoles versions my qustion is should I start playing it now or wait for the new patch that will be released on an unknown date?

On one hand I really want to play this game but on other hand it sucks that the latest update made the framerate worse on PS4. For any of you playing this game on PS4 how bad is it? Is the game completely unplayable as of now or would I be ok starting the game now?

It kinda sucks if I have to wait for more than a week before the new patch is released since I still have a little vacation left and I was planning on playing this game before my vacation is over because by then I won't really have a lot of time left for games.

So I ask you mighty community: What should I do?

Getting ready for the obligatory "You should have bought it for PC" answers.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Mcfart

Get a refund and buy it for $2.50 2 years down the line.

You either gotta jump in, or you'll be asking why you spent $60 on a game you never will play.

ps: why didn't you buy it for PC?

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The latest patch messed up xbox one performance, as far as I know ps4 is the same. It drops down to 20 - 25 in the bog area and when there is rain, fire and stuff . Maybe also in specific Novigrad areas. Also there is an option to turn off motion blur. And it helps to improve performance. I advise not to get hopes up with 1.08 patch for ps4 performance.

My advice just to try for yourself and see if you can stand the performance.

bavelb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game plays fine. And since the patch I only noticed improvements, no degredation. I don't get why digital foundry saw worse performance. Then again I turned of postproceasing as I hate motionblur.

Even before it was fine. Only the swamparea was a tad choppy, bit thats quite a few hours in and not that long an area. Itd be silly to postpone playing

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Duuude, you totally should have bought it on... Oh wait, you covered that.

Well, I don't know. How bad are the problems with 1.07? It is occasional frame-drop bad, or Skyrim-on-PS3-after saving-too-much unplayable? You'll just have to decide how big the problems are, and if they ruing your enjoyment. I'd strive to get it in during the time you have off. It benefits from an extended session or two.

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd give it a try and see how you feel about it. If you feel like the performance isn't good enough then come back later. I wouldn't just keep writing it off as "i'll play next patch" without trying it. That is a never-ending cycle that will lead to you not playing for another year.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'd at least play the White Orchard segment of the game. That'll give you a sense of what the performance is like, and it's a good stopping point once you're done with it. Once the patch comes out you'll be able to dig into the meat of the game.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
    ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The game is 100% playable on PS4. I haven't noticed any framerate problems at all.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

No amount of patches will ever make it perfect. I played it when it first came out, and loved it; I'm still playing it now, and still love it. Are you afraid of experiencing game bugs? Don't play video games then!

Avatar image for deactivated-636514d3175a5
    deactivated-636514d3175a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

THIS: I don't understand the need to wait for patches. I started day one and it was an amazing game.

No amount of patches will ever make it perfect. I played it when it first came out, and loved it; I'm still playing it now, and still love it. Are you afraid of experiencing game bugs? Don't play video games then!

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

@rongalaxy: I'm not afraid of bugs. I know every single video game has them. My only concern was that the latest update actually had made the PS4 version worse in some regards, particularly the framerate according to Digital Foundry. But it sounds like it really isn't that big of an issue so I will start the game tonight.

Thanks for the answers/help guys!

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hatking

I've been playing lots of it on Xbox One on the 1.07 patch. There's definitely some occasional frame drop in the bog area, but it is still totally playable. I wouldn't bother waiting, unless you're extremely sensitive to bad framerates. And I'm not even sure that the PS4 has those issues.

bceagles128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By bceagles128

The PS4 version was fine at launch and it's still fine now.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Witcher 1 and 2 are patched to perfection by now.

fleabeard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I need to wait for the 1.08 patch to play. One of my main story quests is bugged and I can't continue. I'm stuck doing every sidequest I have access to.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Fredchuckdave

You totally should have spent someone else's money for your birthday present on the PC version, what were you thinking?

On a serious note I haven't noticed any major issues on my end, the game has its moments visually but it is far from a technical marvel as of yet.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#17 FinalDasa  Moderator

Especially after the 1.07 update, that "fixes" walking, there is no reason to wait. Even before I personally didn't notice the walking to be bothersome and didn't wait.

Maedhros925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I've been playing patch 1.07 on PS4, and this is literally the first I've heard of any framerate issues. Play the game, you have nothing to worry about.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@castiel: Play it now. I personally didn't notice any change in frame rate with the latest patch on the PS4, and it's a big improvement from when the game was first released.

Make sure you look in the options menu for the alternate movement setting, try both types, and see what works best for you.

bassguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Ehhhh.... The frame rate drops in a few spots, but it's never impacted gameplay for me on the PS4. As for bugs, I've had scripting break a few times, but reloading has always fixed it.

It's far from perfect on the technical side, but none of the issues I've run into have been serious showstoppers.

jackburtonme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Naw man 1.1 is gonna be where it's at.

Sorry, but I had to. I would just go ahead and play it now, it's really a special game. I think it is always going to have an appropriate level of jank for how massive it is.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

It is totally fine, you'll get framerate drops every now and then. Brad says it's unplayable but anything under 30fps is unplayable to Brad.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.