Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released May 19, 2015

CD Projekt RED's third Witcher combines the series' non-linear storytelling with a sprawling open world that concludes the saga of Geralt of Rivia.

Witcher 3 GTX 660 user here in for a report...

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MakoTitan

Hey guys, I just wanted you to know that after purchasing it, very timidly mind you, I was relieved to see that I can run it no problem. So if you have the same specs in the graphics card department, fear not! You do have to make some concessions though. I put the background characters in a mid range department, and kept the hair tech on, but I'm finding that you really save frame rate by turning the hair tech off. If you turn it off, you can bump up the background stuff. I locked mine at 30 frames a second, but that's only so my recording for my YouTube channel doesn't get impacted. It runs fine at 60. "No that wasn't a shameless plug because I'm not posting my link here!" Haha.

In conclusion, if you have the RAM, and the time to download this beast, do it, and enjoy the hunt!!!

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And a real quick side note, if you are still scared to get it, I will record a video tonight for the sole purposes of showing you the differences in what the sliders will do to a minimalistic rig. Though that video will come late late tonight because I don't get off of work until 11:00pm ET. I'll do it if you want though. :)

Later Duders!

poser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By poser

Now the real question, which you can't answer, is if it is better to get it on PC with an ageing rig or on the PS4?

I normally have a beefy PC, but I can still run most games on max with my 670 so I'm in rush.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

The background characters slider doesn't actually change shit, according to Nvidia, as it only limits how many characters per whatever it renders at once, and according to them they've never seen a place with over 75, which what low limits it to. This article goes into everything nicely.

aktivity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By aktivity

Same here, running on a 660TI. I've turned everything to ultra except for the hair stuff and foliage visibility. Runs at a steady 30fps with the cap on.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@poser said:

Now the real question, which you can't answer, is if it is better to get it on PC with an ageing rig or on the PS4?

I normally have a beefy PC, but I can still run most games on max with my 670 so I'm in rush.

I'd say it's down to preference at that point. Pretty sure PS4 version's at 30 (but runs at 1080p), and likely is similer to PC version medium-high settings....so get whichever unless you demand 60fps/mouse keyboard controls.

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d: On the contrary, I noticed a frame rate dip with it up and down. Not much, but something.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By me3639

i would imagine any card in the last 2-3 years should probably do 30fps@1080p at max settings with no AA.

bakumatsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

grtkbrandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@me3639: That's definitely not the case. Not maxed out. AA has no impact on my game's performance but hairworks alone is a 25-30 fps difference.

poser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@me3639 said:

i would imagine any card in the last 2-3 years should probably do 30fps@1080p at max settings with no AA.

I read somewhere, maybe just on a forum, that on mid-range PC that the FPS runs at about 24 but can sometimes drop to 18.

mulder000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am quite surprised that my old HD 6870 card runs this game in mid-high settings without a problem. I was planning on getting a new 970 card that included this game and the Batman game coming out next month but took a chance that I could still get by for another year with the card I have. The 970 class cards sell for over $400 here in Canada.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

I'm also playing with a 660 and it runs totally great. I don't need the hair stuff and the game looks better than I figured it would. I also locked myself to 30 fps.

roars5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By roars5000

I'm still new to the PC world and I'm running with a 760 on medium. Sounds like I should be able to kick up the settings based on what I've seen here.

Nadril

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good to hear it's running pretty well on mid-range cards.

I'm running a 970 and have everything on Ultra except for no hairworks and shadows on high. Getting a pretty smooth 60fps (closer to 50-60, but y'know). Game is fucking great looking.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This bodes well as someone with a GTX 750 Ti SC and a 768p display. Not that I'll be picking this up anytime soon since I still have to make some upgrades and play through the first two games (as well as the tens of relatively untouched games in my ever-growing Steam backlog). And looking at Tech of Tomorrow's video, call me crazy, but I can work with low settings until I have the cash for a GTX 900 something card.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I liked the bouncing hair stuff in The Witcher 2 and I like it here, too.

I have stuff on mostly high settings, 1920x1080, Vsync on, the hair stuff on, and it's been a smooth experience so far. If/when things get busy, I'm sure the game will chug a little more, but for now I'm doing pretty well.

970 / i5-3470 / 8GB RAM, if you were going to ask.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm running a Xeon E3-1230 V2 @3.3 GHz, 8 gigs of 1333Mhz DDR3 and a GTX 550Ti. RAM and CPU up to snuff. I imagine my video card would fart and die if I tried to run this game.

LocalOaf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By LocalOaf

Thanks for posting! I'm rockin' a GTX660 as well so it's a relief to hear that it's playable. Can you get the texture detail up to a decent level?

Skyrider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@localoaf: I've got the GTX660 as well and have texture detail set to high, which according to geforce's tweak guide is optimal for 2GB cards, although it looks like texture detail doesn't have a huge impact on frame rate.

Geralt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait...Nvidia experiences thingy had me set everything at low. What the hell!

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

I am quite surprised that my old HD 6870 card runs this game in mid-high settings without a problem. I was planning on getting a new 970 card that included this game and the Batman game coming out next month but took a chance that I could still get by for another year with the card I have. The 970 class cards sell for over $400 here in Canada.

That is quite surprising considering that the minimum specs list a HD 7870. What processor do you have?

NeoCalypso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kazona: I think the min requirements must just be super conservative because I'm running an i3-3220 and an HD 7850 2GB and can run the game on high with all post-processing on(obviously with the hairworks turned off) at a very steady 35 fps.

gutterkisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@vegetashonor: Appreciate you weighing in with this report. I've been on the fence over whether my PS4 or SLI 580s would be a better experience, but decided to give my four year old PC build its (possible) last rodeo.

Downloading now (on Australian internet, so it'll probably be a five year old PC by the time it's done).

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@neocalypso: Man, I might just buy it then. Although I never got really far in Witcher 2, so maybe I should get to finishing that first.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

@kazona: i have it sitting in my library and I'm like bombing through witcher 1 and 2 as fast as I can to get to 3 lol I'm one of those "gotta play through the old ones for the story," guys lol

justicejanitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm using a GTX 770 and played around with the settings a bunch and reached a point I'm happy with. I have a mix of High, Ultra and Medium settings with the framerate jumping between 30 and 50. I swallowed my pride and locked the framerate at 30 to keep it consistent. I'm happy with the result and the game looks pretty darn good. It's definitely the kind of game you go back to after an upgrade to see how it runs. The PC gaming world didn't get a game like that in quite a while and I'm happy about that in a weird way.

Also, the game is fucking amazing.

PoetryMiner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a GTX 650 Ti Boost (2GB), which is a little below the minimum requirement, and the game runs fine at 30 fps. Otherwise, I have an i7-4770 3.40GHz and 16 GB of RAM. The Nvidia experience thing recommends that I set the resolution to 1600x900 and everything else to Low or off. But I found these YouTube videos of someone who messed with the settings on this card and was able to turn a lot of the options to Ultra and a lot of the post processing settings on and the game still seems to run fine at 30 fps. I copied his settings and had good results at 1600x900 and it looks great to me. I seem to be able to run it at 1920x1080 with a lot of the options set at around medium at 30 fps. Here are the guy's videos if anyone has this card and would like to try out those settings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VwbUdiydnY&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm5IpcY5HTE

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#29  Edited By mike

@justicejanitor: Did you turn motion blur on? I find it helps with making 30 FPS a bit more playable.

@hypnotoadbrwowrowrow damn dude, my hat is off to you sir! I'm always that guy who tells myself I'm going to play through the previous games in a series before jumping in, but I never do. It'll be interesting to hear what your experience is like going 30 hours of Witcher 2 directly into Wild Hunt. Good luck!

gutterkisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By gutterkisser

Just played long enough to reach the open world, and my GTX 580s have done me proud. Every setting High except hairworks (off), all post-processing on (SSAO for ambient occlusion), 1080 and the framerate is remarkably smooth. 60 or close to it in most of what I saw.

I'll do some tweaking to see if I can get a more consistent framerate, but I'm so glad I didn't go PS4 in the end. Feels good knowing my PC still has legs! Bless the old girl.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@kazona: i have it sitting in my library and I'm like bombing through witcher 1 and 2 as fast as I can to get to 3 lol I'm one of those "gotta play through the old ones for the story," guys lol

I might play through 2 again. I was trying to look up which ending I had from my previous game and I remember absolutely 0 of the story other than stupid tentacle boss of act 1 and who I sided with.

sheira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By sheira

@gutterkisser said:

Just played long enough to reach the open world, and my GTX 580s have done me proud. Every setting High except hairworks (off), all post-processing on (SSAO for ambient occlusion), 1080 and the framerate is remarkably smooth. 60 or close to it in most of what I saw.

I'll do some tweaking to see if I can get a more consistent framerate, but I'm so glad I didn't go PS4 in the end. Feels good knowing my PC still has legs! Bless the old girl.

I was pleasantly surprised too, when I tried with my GTX 580. Its a really solid card and it definitely passed the test of time. I've done some recording too, but its locked to 30FPS (don't think I could get away with 60FPS while recording in respectable quality). Also, the details are lowered to medium, but I could probably go high on some.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrY7S0bT35k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXGpN_D--Nk

Forderz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@sinusoidal: I'm running a 570 with an ancient CPU (phenom 9550 black? I think? 3.2ghz quad core) and I can run everything on low with 25 fps. If you can take 20ish fps you can run it.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@forderz said:

@sinusoidal: I'm running a 570 with an ancient CPU (phenom 9550 black? I think? 3.2ghz quad core) and I can run everything on low with 25 fps. If you can take 20ish fps you can run it.

Thank for the info. Will likely sit on it until I either upgrade the PC or pick up a PS4. It's not like I don't have enough games to last me the next two to four years anyway. Need more gaming time!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.