Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

ToeJam & Earl in Panic on Funkotron

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Apr 01, 1993

This side-scrolling sequel takes place on planet Funkotron where it is your job to trap Earthlings that have infested the planet and send them back to Earth.

Am I Alone in Liking This Game?

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By ArtisanBreads

And dare I say it, more than the first game?

I listened to the Giantbomb guys really trash this game in recent coverage of the collection.

I understand the first game was very unique in its gameplay on a console and that's part of it's appeal but I actually preferred playing the second game. It had a faster pace and seemed a bit more actually cooperative when playing two player. It maintained the odd style of the series and added in all the ridiculous humans. The graphics were bright and pretty detailed and I enjoyed the animations.

I know there were a lot of 2D side-scrollers at the time but even then I found the game's style and it's mechanic of hunting the humans a bit different. I liked the shaking trees, the bouncing pads, all of the different mechanics. There was a sort of freestyle dancing if I remember correctly. It had the great music...

Watching the Quick Look I was seeing if I really didn't recall and it was bad but it looked like how I remembered it and looked fine, the guys were just dumping on it because it wasn't like the first. I get them saying it's disappointing they turned it into a side-scroller but the game is not poorly made.

Am I alone here? Does everyone hate this game?

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Ravenlight

Yes. You are the statistical anomaly.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@Ravenlight said:

Dude I get it. I meant to start a discussion to hear what other people thought. Thanks for the post though.

EDIT: WOW SO MANY WITTY RESPONSES THANKS GUYS

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@Ravenlight said:

He's Neo?

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By morningstar

Probably not.

Bumpton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Bumpton

@ArtisanBreads: High five, duder. I think it's great, too! I skew toward the first one a little more just because I have amazing co-op memories with it though. Hell, a couple of my friends and I will still sit down with it from time to time. But yeah, I really do think the second is great. I loved the art in it a ton. It was rad getting to see those ridiculous characters up close, and I think they took enough aspects of the first to not make the perspective change a total wash. I don't go back to it as often as I do with the first, but like you said, still a well made game in my opinion.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By shiftymagician

@ArtisanBreads said:

@Ravenlight said:

Dude I get it. I meant to start a discussion to hear what other people thought. Thanks for the post though.

EDIT: WOW SO MANY WITTY RESPONSES THANKS GUYS

You apparently didn't get it when you wrote the title. You also apparently didn't read the comments of the quick look where some users have already voiced their liking of the second game, making your thread title a bit silly in retrospect. That's my non-witty response to your poor choice of words for the thread title.

Back on topic though, honestly I have never played any of the Toe Jam and Earl games. Watching the quick look though and seeing the first game then second game for the first time, I can already tell I would enjoy the first more than the second as it had more interesting ideas and felt more original than the second game. If I was ever to buy this collection I would probably only try the first game after seeing the quick look.

Bumpton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Bumpton

@ShiftyMagician said:

If I was ever to buy this collection I would probably only try the first game after seeing the quick look.

After spending 10 bucks, you wouldn't even try the second game?

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By shiftymagician

@Bumpton said:

@ShiftyMagician said:

If I was ever to buy this collection I would probably only try the first game after seeing the quick look.

That's why there's an 'if' in my sentence there mate. Due to the price being $10 and the possibility that I may only want to play the first game, I'm probably not going to buy the collection for that price. I'd have to see if that PS3 seperate sale thing is true and that the first game is sold for $5. If so then I might get it there if I'm interested enough.

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By artgarcrunkle

HA HA HA IT'S PRETTY UNLIKELY YOU'RE THE ONLY ONE BRO THERE ARE MONDO PEEPS ON THIS PLANET L O L

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11  Edited By buft

When i think of toejam and earl i think about the platformer, it wasn't until i went back and played one later in life i realized the error i had made. one is good, certainly its a more unique game but i prefer the platforming and coop in two.

Bumpton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bumpton

@ShiftyMagician said:

@Bumpton said:

@ShiftyMagician said:

That's why there's an 'if' in my sentence there mate. Due to the price being $10 and the possibility that I may only want to play the first game, I'm probably not going to buy the collection for that price. I'd have to see if that PS3 seperate sale thing is true and that the first game is sold for $5. If so then I might get it there if I'm interested enough.

Ooooh, I gotcha. Forgot that buying them separately was even an option, being a 360 duder. Muh bad, brah! I was just confused.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By BrittonPeele

You're probably not alone, but you're totally crazy.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By kagato

I really liked the second game way more than the first, i guess a lot of people loved the first one but it passed me by, didnt play it until after id played the second one and by then i kinda wondered what all the fuss was about.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By cornbredx

If it helps, I never got into any of them.  
    When I was a kid I couldn't figure out what you were supposed to do in the first one and I never played the sequels. 
    At the time the concept of just exploring like that was kind of vague, to be honest. You didn't see that a lot. It wasn't until the quicklook today that I realized that was the point of the game haha

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By shiftymagician

@Bumpton said:

@ShiftyMagician said:

@Bumpton said:

@ShiftyMagician said:

Ooooh, I gotcha. Forgot that buying them separately was even an option, being a 360 duder. Muh bad, brah! I was just confused.

Hehe it's okay dude. I understand where you were coming from as well and wanted to clarify my sentence.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Milkman

As someone who has never played either game, my reaction to the Quick Look was that the original Toejam & Earl seemed completely boring and I didn't understand what the point was besides wandering around doing nothing. From the little they played of the second game, it at least seemed a little more focused.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By audiosnow
    71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By 71Ranchero

They trash allot of games. I would say dont worry about it. You already know they have bad taste anyways if you have seen the music they listen too.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By JasonR86

@Ravenlight said:

Yep.

But there is probably at least one other person who likes it too.

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By Bwast
    Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Sinusoidal

You're not alone. There are plenty of woefully misguided people in the world.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By ShaggE

There are even people who like TJ&E 3, if that tells you anything.

ahgunsillyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By ahgunsillyo

I love Toejam & Earl: Panic on Funkatron. One of my favorite games for the Genesis.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#25  Edited By StarvingGamer

Euuuugh, really?

Euuuuuuuuuuuugh.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I actually liked this game a fair bit. As a kid I preferred it to the original just because I knew what the hell was going on. Sidescrollers are an easy concept to grasp. But I'll admit that the last time I played it a couple years ago, I was kind of underwhelmed.

You know who else likes it? God damn Riff Raff.

Loading Video...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.