Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tomb Raider

Franchise »

Created with the release of Tomb Raider on PlayStation in 1996, the Tomb Raider franchise with its iconic heroine adventurer Lara Croft quickly grew into a cross-media pop-culture phenomenon.

New Tomb Raider Details

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Contro

No Caption Provided
    New details have emerged for the upcoming Tomb Raider game which is due later this year. This information comes via the French version of PlayStation magazine. 

A New Lara 

The Lara in this episode is more human and vulnerable, she will suffer much, her tenacity will be put to the test. The facial expressions were worked to reflect this, using motion capture. Young and inexperienced, this Lara has doubts.

The Beginning of the Adventure 

Barely out of her studies, Lara embarks on his first expedition aboard a ship called Endurance, which sank near an island ...(off Japan). She is the only survivor of the sinking ship, and wakes up tied up and hanging in a dark cave. Some scenes are handled by Quick Time Event, such as the extraction of a metal bar which has pierced into her ribs after a fall...The games interface and contextual help will be as minimal as possible to enhance the level of immersion. 

There is someone else on the island, and Lara seems destined to be part of a ritual. Lara discovers allies - expedition leader and mentor Conrad Roth found alive several days after the scene of the cave.

Gameplay 

It appears that the puzzles are just as important as ever. The puzzles will be more complex than in previous games. It will not just be a case of observing the environment, but also reflecting on the interactions between objects & elements.

The heart of the island will serve as a hub, however, It will not, strictly speaking, take a similar approach to GTA or Assassin's Creed, says Karl Stewart responsible for the license, but "we want to suggest the idea that Lara is in an open environment." 

The explorable areas increase as Lara acquires new capabilities that enable it to reach new areas. Players can use a new view: "survival instinct" which will highlights in yellow important elements of the environment to Lara, while the rest will be in shades of grey. For example, the footprints of wolves, which lead to their lair. 

The camera will use innovative framing to accentuate sensations such as claustrophobia or anxiety. Transition between cut-scenes and phases of the game will be invisible. There are several save points scattered throughout the island, these are represented by statues of Buddha. 

The jumping mechanics have been revised, they will now include the ability to ammend trajectory. The action will be more "visceral" and "dirty" and more realistic. 

The confirmed weapons: Bow and arrow, gun, axe (which serve as a melee weapon and as a tool for climbing). 

Influences

The physics of Half-Life 2: use of fluids flowing, gravity, etc..The atmosphere of Uncharted. The Eagle Vision Assassin's Creed. The origins of the film Batman Begins for the initiation quest. The pain described by the film 127 hours. The mysteries of the series Lost.

Thanks to Gameblog.fr
    N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By N7

Young and inexperienced, this Lara has doubts.

God yes...
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By eroticfishcake

It's really breaking off from the traditional Tomb Raider approach but that's a great thing since the past TB games have been fair. It's probably the only TB game I'm looking forward to in a long, long time.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By benjaebe

Really looking forward to this. Keeps looking better and better.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Contro

New jumping mechanics should have a significant role on the feel of the game. AC could do with "after-touch", I've always hated how there's a lack of mid air control.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By TwoOneFive

sounds verrrrrrrry cool. i hope they pull it off man. this could be something else. 

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Contro

Crystal Dynamics D Gallagher  (Edge Magazine)

“A reboot for us felt like the necessary thing to do,”. “Lara had hit her apex in how she was before, and we didn’t really feel we could take that any farther. It was a chance to look at everything again, bring new people in who had been interested in the franchise before but didn’t feel like Lara was modern enough." 

"We left no stones unturned as we were going through the concept, and then kept the right stones. The crucial thing is that it feels like her, even though it’s completely different.”

No Caption Provided

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

How big will her boobs be?

Ellis7x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ellis7x

Hope they dont balls it up

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
    deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Ellis7x said:
    " Hope they dont balls it up "
    Same. 

Also hope they remake TRII at some point. 
    Come on, please? Just for me?
    Dogma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Dogma

I have never been a big Tomb Raider fan BUT this has got me intrigued. As soon asI started to hear about this in 2009 it sounded cool and when it got confirmed through Gameinformer I really REALLY got high hopes for this reboot of th franchise. More dark and gritty, new focus and a Lara that seems interesting and not a game icon of the 90s.

This game is high on top of my most anticipated games this year. I dying to see some video from it.
    SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By SSully
    @Contro: When they say she is young they must mean it, because her boobs in those pics compared to underworld make it look like she hasnt even hit puberty yet.

In all seriousness this sounds like it could be cool, I look forward to hearing more about this. 
    1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By 1337W422102

Right on.  I'm interested to see where they go with this.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Contro

Here are two stills from a live action teaser that'll be released next week: 

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.