Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Torchlight II

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Sep 20, 2012

The sequel to Runic Games' Torchlight, it features four new classes, a much bigger world, online co-op play, and a host of other new features.

The Worst Part of ARPGs

• 62 results
    xshinobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By xshinobi

That is what I loved about D3. I love that stats were tied to weapons and armor. I also loved the way the skill system worked in that game.

GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#52  Edited By GuyIncognito

Stat allocation is what makes an RPG an RPG. If you don't like stat allocation in Torchlight 2, you probably won't like Demon/Dark Souls, Mount and Blade and any activity that requires higher cognitive abilities. Stick to games for dumb people.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By bwheeeler

Great topic. It's nice that we can come together as a community to discuss these sorts of issues in an even, level-headed manner.

LikeaSsur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By LikeaSsur

@GuyIncognito said:

Stat allocation is what makes an RPG an RPG. If you don't like stat allocation in Torchlight 2, you probably won't like Demon/Dark Souls, Mount and Blade and any activity that requires higher cognitive abilities. Stick to games for dumb people.

If we're talking about cognitively stimulating actions, playing an FPS (especially a team based/objective mode) requires a lot more cognitive ability than allocating stats in an RPG. FPS, of course, being stereotyped as a pretty watered down, "simple" genre.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By Jrinswand

@GuyIncognito said:

@bwheeeler said:

Great topic. It's nice that we can come together as a community to discuss these sorts of issues in an even, level-headed manner.

The fact that these two statements appeared in quick succession is hysterical. To I have to say thanks, but to I'd have to say that that's just unnecessary. Also, I don't see how the Souls games or Mount & Blade are "games for smart people." The Souls games are just for those who are persistent and I don't understand what Mount & Blade has to do with anything at all. That game is filled with just as many jackasses as any other game. Also, I don't understand how having a slight problem with the stat allocation in Torchlight 2 (the fact that I can't respec stats) makes me a "dumb person."

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Nottle

@LikeaSsur said:

@GuyIncognito said:

If we're talking about cognitively stimulating actions, playing an FPS (especially a team based/objective mode) requires a lot more cognitive ability than allocating stats in an RPG. FPS, of course, being stereotyped as a pretty watered down, "simple" genre.

Yeah, I agree. Dumping stats and seeing which number is bigger between 2 weapons is like grade school math. In Torchlight 1 most of my fights were won with throwing down a trap then shooting arrows until i needed to drink a potion. Something like Left 4 Dead where assessing a situation, making very quick decisions, and being able to act on those decisions efficiently takes a lot more cognitive power.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#57  Edited By phrosnite

There is nothing complicated about them. You must be pretty "retarded" to mess them up.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#58  Edited By veektarius

I ruined my torchlight 1 character by misallocating stats. I made her a jack of all trades and apparently that wasn't viable with loot in the last act.

Tyrrael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Tyrrael

Stat point allocation is something that always bugged me in these types of games. What I do is just hoard them until there is a particular weapon, armor piece or accessory that I want to equip, then I just allocate the stat points according to the requirements of the item. I hate it when I try to pre-allocate the points according to what the assumed archetype of the character is. Then I find an item that I can't equip, because I have already spent the points preemptively and will have to wait a few levels to get the points needed or to just meet the level requirement if that comes sooner. I may not have the bonuses to stats the points provide all the time, but it basically guarantees that I can equip any item I want as early as possible.

cid798

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By cid798

The stat point system in TL2 is so literally upfront with exactly what you get for investing in each stat I don't see a problem with not being able to reallocate points later on. Especially with the way they handle requirements for equipping items with either a level requirement or stat requirement.

DBrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#61  Edited By DBrim

@cid798 said:

The stat point system in TL2 is so literally upfront with exactly what you get for investing in each stat I don't see a problem with not being able to reallocate points later on. Especially with the way they handle requirements for equipping items with either a level requirement or stat requirement.

Yeah. Because they have an either/or system going on (either this level or these points), you'll be able to use any piece of loot eventually. This makes your stat point choices a lot less important than they were in the original game.

I did my play-through with a Berserker, and invested in Dexterity, Strength, and Vitality in more-or-less equal parts. I beat the game last night, and it seemed to work for me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@wemibelec90 said:

I agree. I hate stat allocation in any game, especially those games where you are fucked if you put them in the wrong places. The removal of this in D3 was not a change that I minded.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.