Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Torchlight II

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Sep 20, 2012

The sequel to Runic Games' Torchlight, it features four new classes, a much bigger world, online co-op play, and a host of other new features.

What do you want in Torchlight 2?

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Fallen189

So, I played the shit out of Torclight, because it's just a brilliant game. I really enjoyed the dog/cat and sheer diversity of weapons.

What would you want in the next game though?

For me, the co-op is obviously a big thing which I'm very excited about. The only other thing I could really think is more TYPES of weapons. I'd love to have more dynamic and "weapon specific" attack animations. Whatever weapon you had, you seemed to just bonk them with it. I'd love some spear stabbing and some other shit like that.

What about you guys?

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I have yet to play the first Torchlight, but the main complaint I always hear about is the lack of co-op. 

More weapon types could be cool, but another class or two to compliment could also add to the replay value, and the variability of possible co-op play. I like your idea of a spear, so a Lancer could be cool, and maybe a monk, or another type of magic user.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Fallen189
    @MasterOfPenguins_Zell said:
    " I have yet to play the first Torchlight, but the main complaint I always hear about is the lack of co-op. 

More weapon types could be cool, but another class or two to compliment could also add to the replay value, and the variability of possible co-op play. I like your idea of a spear, so a Lancer could be cool, and maybe a monk, or another type of magic user. "
    Actually, that's KIND OF in the game already. Because it's such a mod focused game, in that they released their entire SDK along with it, there's a lot of custom characters/spells/trees already in the game. Nothing like what I'm on about, naturally, but there's still a lot more out there then the bog standard "Warrior/Rogue/Wizard" archetypes that launched with the game. Also, I'm gay for lancers :<
    overbyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By overbyte

I'd love more starting pets rather than cats or dogs though, it seems Travis Baldree just copy/pasted the pet system from Fate into Torchlight. 
    A lot of buyable AI companions will be the top pick for me, I want a small army!

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#5  Edited By Jazz

I'd like more classes...as in about 8, and make them more varied as well as the weapons.
    Mac version doesn't support class mods, so this is something i'd like to see. Oh and a mac version that supports more mods would be nice. 
    Co-Op is rather unnecessary, as its a Diablo type game. Why you'd want co-op in that, i.e. dividing up the loot..I don't quite understand how that would be fun. 
    oh and they need to fix the sale prices on items..wtf is that shit?

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Fallen189
    @overbyte said:
    " I'd love more starting pets rather than cats or dogs though, it seems Travis Baldree just copy/pasted the pet system from Fate into Torchlight. A lot of buyable AI companions will be the top pick for me, I want a small army! "
    I'd really like that actually. A wider variety of pets would be really cool. Like how you could just change your pet into some other shit. Would be cool if that would be more persistent.
    Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Cincaid

A console release would be grand, but will probably sadly never happen. :( 

I could play it on my PC of course, I just prefer these type of games on a console, lazy as I am.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

More classes and customization for your character.

Vafthrutnir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Vafthrutnir

The main thing I wanted out of the first was co-op, and since this is getting it everything else is just a plus.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By BabyChooChoo

They added multiplayer so they already have my money. Other than that, a longer campaign would be nice and more 'side-dungeons' and stuff like that.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
    MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@Fallen189 said:
    " @MasterOfPenguins_Zell said:
    " I have yet to play the first Torchlight, but the main complaint I always hear about is the lack of co-op. 

More weapon types could be cool, but another class or two to compliment could also add to the replay value, and the variability of possible co-op play. I like your idea of a spear, so a Lancer could be cool, and maybe a monk, or another type of magic user. "
    Actually, that's KIND OF in the game already. Because it's such a mod focused game, in that they released their entire SDK along with it, there's a lot of custom characters/spells/trees already in the game. Nothing like what I'm on about, naturally, but there's still a lot more out there then the bog standard "Warrior/Rogue/Wizard" archetypes that launched with the game. Also, I'm gay for lancers :< "
    Oh, awesome.
    @overbyte said:
    " I'd love more starting pets rather than cats or dogs though, it seems Travis Baldree just copy/pasted the pet system from Fate into Torchlight. A lot of buyable AI companions will be the top pick for me, I want a small army! "

Get some flying pets in there, like a Hawk or something.

I would love a Penguin. =]
    Avatar image for siroptimusprime
    SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

I have a small bullet point list...

- Separate the Alchemist into a DPS and Pet class. (Ember Lance and Pets?! Geez...), though generally more classes.
    - Make the game's general difficulty harder without resorting to Hardcore mode. Hard mode is still too easy, and Hardest/Extreme/Impossible/whatever it's called was only kind of hard. 
    - Expand the universe. Do what Diablo 2 did for Diablo 1. Split the game into multiple acts and multiple cities...sure, the game's called Torchlight, but that "Estherian Steppes" or whatever it's called is exactly what needs to happen. 

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13  Edited By Geno

- Faster leveling.
    - Better difficulty balance (the game's sections range from extremely easy to almost impossible).
    - More bug fixes; I can name at least 3 crash bugs that I experienced. 

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By JoelTGM

They're doing a multiplayer game.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By mracoon

Co-op was the main addition I wanted in a sequel so it's great to see that it's there.

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Dingofighter
    @Jazz said:
    " I'd like more classes...as in about 8, and make them more varied as well as the weapons.Mac version doesn't support class mods, so this is something i'd like to see. Oh and a mac version that supports more mods would be nice. Co-Op is rather unnecessary, as its a Diablo type game. Why you'd want co-op in that, i.e. dividing up the loot..I don't quite understand how that would be fun. oh and they need to fix the sale prices on items..wtf is that shit? "
    From what I hear, A ton of people played Diablo 2 online, so... yeah, Co-op isn't really unnecessary.
    Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#17  Edited By Tordah
    • Co-op and multiplayer, for sure. Already confirmed, so that is awesome.
    • More variety in the level design and enemies.
    • A more meaningful and unique skill tree system. I didn't like the fact that after you reached a certain level you could practically have all the best skills maxed out already.  There were no meaningful "builds", so to speak. Also didn't care much for the generic skills that every character had (block, adventurer, etc).
    • Balance the game better for when you reach higher levels. Level 40 and onwards starts to get kinda dull when all you do is spam your best attack (like Ember Strike for the Alchemist) and chug mana potions to keep up the pace. The game never really gets harder, it just takes longer and longer to kill your foes.
    • An actual story
    Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#18  Edited By Jazz
    @MaFoLu said:
    " @Jazz said:
    " I'd like more classes...as in about 8, and make them more varied as well as the weapons.Mac version doesn't support class mods, so this is something i'd like to see. Oh and a mac version that supports more mods would be nice. Co-Op is rather unnecessary, as its a Diablo type game. Why you'd want co-op in that, i.e. dividing up the loot..I don't quite understand how that would be fun. oh and they need to fix the sale prices on items..wtf is that shit? "
    From what I hear, A ton of people played Diablo 2 online, so... yeah, Co-op isn't really unnecessary. "  
    Fair enough, however from a personal perspective it is totally unnecessary.
    Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Demyx

I downloaded a mod for some new classes, a shaman, a witch etc. Also for a ferret as a new pet. Definitelly did weird things to my game htough. Hopefully Torchlight 2 adds some depth and stuff.

JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JP_Russell

A lot of things.  I'm playing through Torchlight right now, and the game's got issues.  It's an okay CRPG for me that doesn't match up to Titan Quest and especially Diablo 2 at all.  It has nothing to do with the lack of multiplayer, I should note - I don't like MP in these kinds of games at all.

1. Fix the AI's aggro behavior.  Playing as a dedicated pet summoner kind of sucks in this game (a real bummer for me, as that's my favorite playstyle for CRPG's).  Enemy AI has a very, very strong tendency to prioritize you over your pets if you're within their aggression radius (sometimes even if you're not), even if you haven't attacked them.   

Meanwhile, your pets have awful prioritization, as well - they don't prioritize targets by their proximity to you at all, and they won't switch targets unless the one they are currently after is killed or another enemy attacks the pet enough to gain the highest aggro.  I've run up to a scattered group of enemies and had all my pets go after one enemy, totally ignoring the 10 others in the group that run right past them and come to clusterfuck me.  Your pets will focus on one target to the extent that even if it's in a bottleneck so only, say, two of the pets can get close enough to attack him, all the others will just stand there behind those two in "trying to get to enemy to attack him" mode, ignoring everything else going on around them unless their aggro is forced onto something else. 

To make all that worse, the lengthy delay between when an attack animation starts and when the attack connects in this game means that any enemy that doesn't move at a snail's pace will still usually be able to run right by your pets whenever it's after you even if your pets are targeting it, as by the time they get to the point in their animation that their attack would normally connect, the enemy has already run several strides past them and they're swinging at thin air. 

2. Better loot.  I don't really know how to elaborate on this other than to say both Titan Quest and Diablo 2 had loot that had more interesting and satisfying effects.  My "loot craze" is always rather mild whenever I play Torchlight.

3. Better skills.  I've not encountered a single spell in the game that had a unique and interesting effect.  The passive skills are all very mundane "this makes this better" skills, and I always feel like they're making my character less weak and boring, not more powerful and diversified.  The active skills are usually always mild variations on other skills of the same type.  For instance, all the vanquishers attack skills (except for the volley of arrows one) is the same idea - a direct fire projectile attack that behaves slightly different from the others.

4. A respec system.  A modern CRPG has no business not having one, regardless. 

5. Less samey and more well-designed environments.  The entirety of Torchlight is a confined dungeon with repeating assets.  There is no variation in the kinds of places you go through, just small variations in the tilesets of each dungeon theme.  Diablo 2 had far more variation by comparison.  In each act, you had large, outside environments broken up constantly by varying dungeon types, every zone and dungeon within an act having different enemies to fight, every act having its own unique sets of zones and dungeons and enemies. 

Diablo 2 is a game in which everything you do is incredibly repetitive, but it gives you many of those things to do, frequently varying places in which to do them, constantly varying enemies against which to do them, and tons of varying, fantastic loot with which to improve your ability to do them in varying and interesting ways.  Torchlight does comparatively very little about its repetition. 

There's more, but I'm tired of thinking about Torchlight now.  :P

Cogzwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By Cogzwell

I would like them to add some pacing to the game, leave things to be discovered not just throw out all their enemies at once.

I would like an update to the death system to be more penalizing, easier flowing, and more.... sense making

I'd like more interesting talent  trees

that's pretty much it, but making the unique weapons cooler and more... unique looking

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.