Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Transformers: War For Cybertron

Game » consists of 20 releases. Released Jun 22, 2010

A depiction of the beginning of the infamous war between the noble Autobots and the nefarious Decepticons, set on the Transformers' homeworld, Cybertron, long before they had even heard of humans or the planet Earth.

Transformers: War For Cybertron getting great reviews.

cuzintheboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By cuzintheboss
    cuzintheboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cuzintheboss

looks like this is the Batman AA of 2010.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

I am sure everyone is excited for a Transfomers game that doesn't suck like the last two did. 

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By dbz1995
    @cuzintheboss said:
    " looks like this is the Batman AA of 2010. "
    It does indeed.
    billygoat117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By billygoat117

I downloaded the multiplayer demo last night pretty much on a whim, and I was blown away by how much fun it was. Everyone should seriously give it a shot if you're at all interested in the game. In fact, I think people should give it a shot if they're even just interested in a good third-person shooter. It may not have the most original concepts, but it executes them very well. And it's hard to discount the fun factor.

thegoldencat7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By thegoldencat7

Good good. I liked the look of it from the trailer.
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Rhaknar
    @billygoat117 said:

" I downloaded the multiplayer demo last night pretty much on a whim, and I was blown away by how much fun it was. Everyone should seriously give it a shot if you're at all interested in the game. In fact, I think people should give it a shot if they're even just interested in a good third-person shooter. It may not have the most original concepts, but it executes them very well. And it's hard to discount the fun factor. "

it's a multiplayer demo and i dont have gold... does it have bots so I can at least try the gameplay out?

edit: and please no "its a transformers game, yes it has bots" jokes :P
    Avatar image for fakeplastictree
    FakePlasticTree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FakePlasticTree
    @Rhaknar said:
    edit: and please no "its a transformers game, yes it has bots" jokes :P "
    Dammit! 

Rented this game. Only played a little bit of the campaign but it seems like a relatively competent third person shooter. I'm less than an hour in though, so I've hardly played enough to develop an informed opinion. 
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HandsomeDead

All I hope from this is that it's fun and has easy achievement points.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mazik765

Wow, I'm glad to see this game has got some real potential. I'm looking forward to it even more now :)

billygoat117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By billygoat117
    @Rhaknar:  I haven't had a chance to try the full game out yet because I'm still at work, but I doubt it has bots for multiplayer. I imagine that the gameplay is probably pretty similar in single player and by all accounts the single player campaign is worth playing. Although if you don't have Gold, you'd probably want to just rent it instead of buying it. Like Gears, Halo or MW2, the bigger draw here seems to be the multiplayer, given how much time and thought they appear to have put into it.
    71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By 71Ranchero

No bots in Multi, sorry.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jack268

I played the demo, it was fun. I won't be able to afford the full game for a while though :( I really hope it's Batman AA of 2010, because I really like transformers.

defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By defaulttag
    @Atramentous: whoah 777 posts. awesome
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Rhaknar
    @billygoat117 said:
    " @Rhaknar:  I haven't had a chance to try the full game out yet because I'm still at work, but I doubt it has bots for multiplayer. I imagine that the gameplay is probably pretty similar in single player and by all accounts the single player campaign is worth playing. Although if you don't have Gold, you'd probably want to just rent it instead of buying it. Like Gears, Halo or MW2, the bigger draw here seems to be the multiplayer, given how much time and thought they appear to have put into it. "
    cant rent games where I live. It's buy or not play. It's alright, I'm used to it. God bless the UK and their freakashly fast discount on new games, it should be cheaper in a month or so, depending on how well it sells there
    TylerKinkade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TylerKinkade

Played it at e3 and actually was surprised by its fun gameplay!

billygoat117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By billygoat117
    @Rhaknar:  Dang, dude, that sucks. Yeah, given your particular situation, I'd probably wait to see if you can get it on sale of something.
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Rhaknar
    @billygoat117 said:
    " @Rhaknar:  Dang, dude, that sucks. Yeah, given your particular situation, I'd probably wait to see if you can get it on sale of something. "
    aye, got a fuckton of games to play atm anyway, I can wait. I just want to play the single player anyway
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By dbz1995
    @Rhaknar said:
    " @billygoat117 said:
    " @Rhaknar:  I haven't had a chance to try the full game out yet because I'm still at work, but I doubt it has bots for multiplayer. I imagine that the gameplay is probably pretty similar in single player and by all accounts the single player campaign is worth playing. Although if you don't have Gold, you'd probably want to just rent it instead of buying it. Like Gears, Halo or MW2, the bigger draw here seems to be the multiplayer, given how much time and thought they appear to have put into it. "
    cant rent games where I live. It's buy or not play. It's alright, I'm used to it. God bless the UK and their freakashly fast discount on new games, it should be cheaper in a month or so, depending on how well it sells there "
    How much do you want it for? It's £30 at coolshop.
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Rhaknar

ill probably wait until its around 25quid, which seems to be the magical mark that every fucking game (except the uber popular ones like RDR) gets to after a few months. Hell, I just got PoP (the new one) for 24.99 from amazon, and the game came out less than a month ago

SpicyRichter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SpicyRichter

Steam is selling this badboy for $39 on the PC and I think walmart has it for consoles today (only) for $39 as well
    It's incomming on steam right now, I'm pretty pumped! Big transformers fan here

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Rhaknar
    SugarRay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23  Edited By SugarRay

I think the Walmart for 39.99 is only for Canada (and elsewhere? not US) as I checked local area and online and it's at regular price. 

Surprised by the very good reviews, and almost had an impulse buy but didn't pull the trigger. The TNT might change that though, but I really, really need to probably wait until a price drop.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By jakob187

I didn't enjoy the time I spent with the multiplayer demo.  The map seemed incredibly generic, and the gameplay felt like "been there, done that" type of stuff. 

Seeing reviews that are this positive, it has me really wanting to check it out.  Between X-Men Origins: Wolverine and Batman: Arkham Asylum, I've learned that you've gotta give the underdog licensed game a chance nowadays.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By zero_

I'm getting a free copy of this from Activision (cuz I suck Kotick's balls) so I can't wait after hearing all these reviews

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Burns098356GX

I wasn't really impressed with the multiplayer, so  I didn't think the reviews would be that good. But its getting good numbers, I think i saw something saying it was 40$ at walmart, i might pick it up.

JMartNWA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By JMartNWA

I gave it a rent this afternoon when the reviews hit... and so far, I must say I'm quite impressed with how entertaining the game is... I'm just playing the single player campaign for right now, but graphically it's strong, the audio is good, the gameplay is fluid and a lot of fun, and it is hitting all those -- I love Transformers and clearly so do the developer -- nerd highlight moments.  Loving it so far, probably pick it up down the road to keep. 

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

really happy hearing this game is solid, i loved the demo and can't wait to check it out.

skunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By skunk

This game is Tits McGee. I'm not that far into the single player but there's already tons of fan-service. If you grew up on Transformers G1, you should really play this. I spent the bulk of my time playing the multiplayer and it is fantastic! Each class plays different enough to keep things interesting. So far i'm really liking "King of The Hill" and, when people communicate, "Plant The Bomb". King of The Hill is awesome amounts of mayhem and is guaranteed to get you jacked like the killstreak music in MAG. Already had a couple insane comebacks where we were losing 90% of the match and it was money.

Oh and the best part is, in Canada anyways, it's going for $40 at a buncha places like Bestbuy/Futureshop.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By 71Ranchero

Just finished up the Decepticon story......damn. I have been waiting for this game for over 20 years. No rose tinted goggles here, they did an amazing job. 

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By Milkman

Eh, I'll remain skeptical.

sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#32  Edited By sagesebas

Question: 

In the commercial for this game do they use that song from Boogie Nights?

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#33  Edited By project343
    @Rhaknar: If you don't plan on playing CO-OP, Escalation (horde-mode) or the multiplayer, I'd suggest you walk the other way. It doesn't support split-screen, and those 3 modes are the highlight. Playing the singleplayer alone, well, it simply isn't worth it. And no, I don't believe it supports anything outside of matchmade online competitive multiplayer. Escalation has 'bots' I guess. Like any horde-mode.
    RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RVonE
    @Milkman said:
    "Eh, I'll remain skeptical. "

Untill when? It already received favorable reviews.
    71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By 71Ranchero
    @project343: To me, story mode is great. The story plays out well and the pacing is good. I can see the game being a bit thin on replay if you dont like multiplayer though. For me its a great mix, I will play the story mode more then just once. Actually this may become my go to game for burning through a story mode every few months.
    simian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#36  Edited By simian

I heard the single player campaign is really short ( < 7 hours for both Autobots & Decepticons ) which has me hesitant.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#37  Edited By project343
    @Atramentous: Really? I mean, I've only finished 2 missions. But honestly, I'm still on the fence as to whether the writing is laughably bad, or purposefully laughably bad. It feels like a well designed third-person shooter. And unless you really enjoy those, there's very little you can take away from that. They're goofy combat rooms separated by either a pseudo-puzzle (what item do I shoot in the environment now?) or a string of hallways to vary the gameplay. The first time I heard "dark energon," I laughed out loud. 

I suppose I expect too much from my narrative. Shooting robots with the intention of destroying the other faction of robots is all most people really need.  But again, this is just robuts shootin' robuts. You can only make Transformers' fiction so mentally stimulating.

With that said, the core mechanics are very well polished, and I would throw down $60 on this game if I had the money. It all comes together fantastically in the multiplayer.
    71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By 71Ranchero
    @project343 said:
    " @Atramentous: Really? I mean, I've only finished 2 missions. But honestly, I'm still on the fence as to whether the writing is laughably bad, or purposefully laughably bad. It feels like a well designed third-person shooter. And unless you really enjoy those, there's very little you can take away from that. They're goofy combat rooms separated by either a pseudo-puzzle (what item do I shoot in the environment now?) or a string of hallways to vary the gameplay. The first time I heard "dark energon," I laughed out loud.  I suppose I expect too much from my narrative. Shooting robots with the intention of destroying the other faction of robots is all most people really need.  But again, this is just robuts shootin' robuts. You can only make Transformers' fiction so mentally stimulating. With that said, the core mechanics are very well polished, and I would throw down $60 on this game if I had the money. It all comes together fantastically in the multiplayer. "
    I think you over think things. 
    Avatar image for marcusravenheart
    marcusravenheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By marcusravenheart
    @Atramentous:  

I think you may not have been around the G1 series a whole lot.  The plot really does circle around basically everything that the first gen cartoons covered.  Dark Energon was actually something that they covered in the G1 series.  The story is great, and the characters are on target.  Dialog's are often dead on for the characters and this made the Decepticon story rather entertaining.  I admit, the lack of  cinematic placement and some story gaps did hinder things, however these were often very minor and explained  afterwards with the sliding text.  If you are a transformers fan, then defiantly play the single player otherwise you will be missing a great homage.  To those who aren't really fans of the series, mechanically it is still a highly enjoyable experience.   

@simian:

Average play time per campaign is 7 hours give or take based on player skill. (14 Hours in all.)

Multiplayer 3 player co-op can be very rewarding or frustrating depending on the communication of the group.  After all, if one person dies, you restart at the check point.  Luckily checkpoints are rather generously placed throughout levels, so you won't find yourself groaning to often.  However, a non communicating group may have a very hard time completing boss fights, so if you don't have a mic, you may want to do yourself a favor and get one before going online with the co-op stages. 

I am not really an online pvp junky, so I haven't fully tested out the multiplayer pvp.  From what i have gotten from it, it is rather enjoyable, even though the scientist class feels slightly gimped more than it needs to be.  The unlock system appears to be rather awarding.  The customization system does not really hold up to what they claimed on the box, and more represents the choosing of skins for a soldier than actually customizing and making your own Transformer.  If you are going in assuming the system is comparable to something like Halo reach, you are mistaken.  Customization is based on abilities, payloads, and skin choices.  So compare it more to the payload screen of modern call of duties. 

- Marc
    Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#40  Edited By Tordah

This was unexpected. Good to hear!

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#41  Edited By sjschmidt93

I rented it. Seems pretty good, nothing extraordinary or anything, but not bad by any means.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By 71Ranchero
    @marcusravenheart: Im not sure that was supposed to be directed at me or not. I think the story is great. Hell, I want this team to do a game following the story of the animated movie next.  

Im very versed in Transformers of old, I used to belong to various Transformers community's before I became an adult :P
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Rhaknar

joystiq 4/5 (yeah they give scores now)

LINK

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found the demo pretty damn fun.

Avatar image for marcusravenheart
    marcusravenheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By marcusravenheart
    @Atramentous:  Sorry hit the wrong "reply" that was actually meant for   project343  . my apologies for the confusion. 

- Marc
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By ravensword

Good lord, I finally lived to see the day that I get a great Batman and Transfomers game. in the same console generation too.
    demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#47  Edited By demonbear
    @Raven_Sword said:
    " Good lord, I finally lived to see the day that I get a great Batman and Transfomers game. in the same console generation too. "
    There's never been a greater time to be a gamer I tell ya.
    CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#48  Edited By CenturionCajun

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/transformerswarforcybertron/review.html  (I can't seem to make a link to save my life)

Apparently McShea was much less forgiving of the games faults.
    Master_Funk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Master_Funk

The game is solid sure, but come on,  people are seriously comparing this to Batman:AA? Really?

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I find the game clunky and visual uninteresting. I'd stake $60 on making that claim legitimately, but the demo made me really doubt that this game is worth the money. 

From what I've played of it I have to agree with Jeff's review whole heartedly.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.