Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Trials Frontier

Game » consists of 0 releases. Released Apr 10, 2014

A free-to-play mobile adaptation of the popular physics-driven bike racer on iOS and Android.

So I guess no one has tried it?

dOm_CaTz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It is definitely worth a download to check out since it's free.

chubbs21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dom_catz: I'm getting past level 10 and the difficulty is just now starting to pick up. I was a little scared that they would try to shove a bunch of micro transactions into the game but so far there hasn't been a single reason to pay money yet. I did put in $3 for a bike skin and bunch of coins just to give something to the devs and that has been more than enough to keep going for the last few days and not get close to running out of money.

Even without the trigger controls of a controller to throttle up hills, I've been having a great time with the game. Never felt like I was losing from the game being bad. It's all just me not being good at it. Like Trials should be.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Just started playing yesterday... and it's awesome. I love the world, the characters, the mission types, the upgrades, and the controls it's all great. And it's a really interesting and unique take on the Trials formula. Unfortunately, F2P has killed it.

I've just got to the point where your bike is simply is too slow to win in competitive races or to get silver medals, and the upgrade cost even with items is crazy, forcing you to pay for coins or diamonds(or whatever they're called). And since there's (of course) no way to just pay one amount to actually buy the game and bypass the bullshit, I'm gonna have to put it down having payed $0.

I hope, soon, devs and publishers will at least try to give those of us an option to just buy good games again, instead of trying to manipulate us into unwittingly spending money exponentially until interest is lost. It's a huge, constant shame to see a really great game like this just completely sabotaged by a disgusting business structure.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Edge said this game is shit. I think if it wasn't called Trails it would've been less offensive to the reviewer.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does it use touch controls to lean forward and back, or do you have to tilt your device back and forth?

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Does it use touch controls to lean forward and back, or do you have to tilt your device back and forth?

It's two "buttons" on the bottom left for leaning and two others on the bottom right for gas/reverse. The controls are nice and responsive. I don't even think tilt controls are an option, which is good for a game like this where even a slight lean can make you miss a jump or flip out of control.

chubbs21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikey87144: after readin that review, I don't know what the dude was expecting from a free to play mobile game. his main gripes are that its not as good as the console version and there are micro transactions. I suppose for someone wanting to write a review in a weekend, that sucks and is keeping you from getting done with the article, but for anyone who has this as one of the 10 or so games on their iPhone or iPad, its much better than other grinds on the App Store.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joshwent: Good to hear. I've played a few Trials clones that used gyroscope controls and they were garbage.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Noooooooooooo thanks.

The one that isn't free to play comes out soon right?

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By mosespippy

@spraynardtatum: It came out today on PS4 but strangely the embargos on reviews are tomorrow.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By strainedeyes

I downloaded this today to try and play enough to unlock the outfit in Fusion. I can already see the f2p walls closing around me, hopefully I'll push through long enough to get the unlock.

kylenalepa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Trials Frontier is totally fine. I'm level 18, have Gold on nearly every track I've unlocked (20-ish tracks), and have only put $2.99 into it, which I mostly did to support the developers. I easily got several hours of fun out of it before I put any money down and anticipate continuing to play at least until Fusion comes out on PC.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By Humanity

I'm also having fun with it. Maybe it's because I treat it like a phone game instead of a full fledged release to really sit down and play. I play when I have to go to the bathroom, or when I'm watching a movie and commercials are on. Very quite, sporadic bursts of one or two tracks. Thus far it has been fun and I don't mind any of it. I guess if I were to really roll up my sleeves and play it for realsies, like spend an hour or two on it then I'd see the microtransaction stuff a lot more.

AngriGhandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AngriGhandi

I'm enjoying it, for the most part. It controls well, and is essentially more Trials. But it can be very frustrating.

The biggest issue I have with it isn't even the energy system (which is fairly generous), or having to wait a dozen hours for a bike upgrade to complete (at least you can keep using the bike during that time)-- no, it's the part where the upgrade part "drop" you get from a race is randomly determined based on a goddamn wheel of fortune that seems programmed to screw you over and enrage you. You feel like you should be able to spin it just right to get the part you need... but you really can't.

And then they eventually start giving you missions where you have to basically get nine of the same rare part, which only drops from a single track, and that's the only mission you have available for some stupid reason, and every time you finish the track you only have about a 1/4 chance of getting the part, and even paying money wouldn't save you, because spending the "second currency" gems only lets you re-spin the wheel for another 1/4 chance. And it costs more gems every time.

All this starts happening between level 10 and 20, and by the time you get above 20, you start hitting walls that make you hate all games.

So be aware of that.

FidusLingura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The trials formula in the game works. After playing it for about 3 weeks and getting to the best part of 200 missions done (without paying a penny) I can say this game is a great F2P game. I don't see where the bad reviews get their perspective from. It's a game on a mobile phone. If it's a mobile game you shouldn't be playing it 24 hours a day like a normal game. It's designed for that down time in a busy day, toilet breaks and lunch breaks. Played in 5 minute bursts then put down til later and when played like that it works well. the game feels right at home on the iOS platform and I'm slowly playing my way through it and enjoying every minute!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.