Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3

Game » consists of 17 releases. Released Nov 15, 2011

A standalone update to Marvel vs Capcom 3 featuring new modes, characters, stages, an enhanced online experience, and large-scale rebalancing of core systems and the existing roster.

I just bought Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 and need help

JRizzo101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By JRizzo101

So I just bought Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (UMVC 3 for short) and need some help getting started. I have never played a versus game before, the only fighting games I've ever owned are MK 9 and Super Street Fighter IV AE and the latter is the one I put the most time into. I have only been playing fighting games seriously for about 5 months and am still very new to the genre. So any tips on where to get started with UMVC 3 would be great. Feel free to use any fighting game jargon you want (Mix ups, resets, option selects, etc...) I picked up a lot playing street fighter.

(note I don't actually have the game yet I ordered it on Amazon and it should arrive this week on the 27th.)

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Aetheldod

Learn to use Wesker :( he is way OP and his OTG is easy to pull off ... also type "assist me MVC 3"in youtube , there a guy who does a good breakdown of the different characters. Do the characters missions as those teach you a good amount of tactics. Also be prepared to face the cheapest , cheesiest tactics all the time ;) But I think the most important thing is to find your team that you like to use.... after all having fun is the point (if you wanna go pro then look for the better synergy between character). Remember to use the assists. Practice , practice , practice.

JRizzo101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JRizzo101

@Aetheldod: Thanks, I actually am subscribed to Maximilian on you tube his videos are very informative and from watching them Wesker does seem like a good starting character. By the way, can you give some examples of cheap tactics that I should watch out for?

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Aetheldod

Lately I´ve encountered that a lot of folks does a high jump (or whatever is called) then doing a downward attack (with characters that have those like Frank West) and since you cant see your charaters direction , it tends to hit you , best thing is to move away from there .... or Ghost Rider´s jumping X paired with Sentinel´s assist , the best way to counter is is to do an advance guard ( when blocking press 2 buttons) ... You should hone the advance guard manuver .... it helps you a lot. Wesker´s teleport (or any teleporting character) , specialy Strider´s mid teleport , it hones on your character and it attacks you. Hulks smashing ground has armour on it so even if you hit it , the animation continues. Watch out for Amateratsu normal combo (you do it on the missions) it builds up a lot of meter. Dont worry a few matches on line and you will see the bulk of it :/ Its part of the process but it is rare to see someone who kicks your ass with technique and not cheap manuvers over and over. (But it is a crux of the fighting genre)

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By TechHits

Despite the amount of online tutorials and walk through videos the best way to get better that these games is just to play them. Ideally you would have someone you know who is around your level that you can play with, but if not go online and grind out matches. If you stick to it you will get better.

JRizzo101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JRizzo101

Finally got my hands on the game (early too!) and took 5+ hours to figure out my team and train with them before i went online. Today, I finally tried some online fights I did a fight request and won twice in a row (same guy) and then tried one ranked match in which I won but the guy lost connection before I could deliver the final blow... very suspicious.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By TechHits

good stuff, who are you using?

JRizzo101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JRizzo101

For the moment Vergil on point and Wesker as the anchor, but I haven't found the final piece yet. Right now I'm trying dead pool.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#9  Edited By StarvingGamer

Are you on PSN? If yes then feel free to add catbond if you want to get some matches in.

JRizzo101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JRizzo101

@StarvingGamer: Sorry I'm on X box Live, but thanks for the offer.

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

I use Spencer Nemesis and Wesker, add me and I'll play you whenever I play, though that isn't that often unfortunately

OwnlyUzinWonHan

JRizzo101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JRizzo101

@OwnlyUzinWonHan: Sure I'll add you, but I can't promise I'll put up the best fight I'm still learning the game.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Doctorchimp

@JRizzo101:

You just need practice. But don't just play matches. Doing something over and over won't help, unless you just want to get familiar with a character. Think about what you want to do and see if you can do them.

From a BnB to a set-up to get a hit landed.

JRizzo101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JRizzo101

For future reference my X box live gamer tag is J Rizzo 101. If anyone wants to play me send me an invite, but I can't promise I'll give you the best match.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By Lukeweizer

I'm in a similar situation. Just picked up the game because it was super cheap and didn't have the greatest introduction. I don't know if I'm blind or what but I was doing some Spencer missions and there was a move that had a button that I could not find on the button config. I think it's the Action button. And I really can't stand how the Missions are set up. I hate having to pause the game to look at move inputs. I know they had the inputs easier to see in Vanilla SF4, but changed it in Super. Just really kills the flow of learning for me. Can anyone recommend me some good beginner teams? - Sorry for the block of text. I'm at work on IE 7 and am stuck with the simple text box.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.