Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Unreliable Narrator

Concept »

Don't believe anyone. There's more going on here than is immediately apparent.

Who in MGS4 is an unreliable narrator?

Psytek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Psytek

Naomi maybe? but I really wouldn't consider her a narrator. Can someone explain why MGS is linked to this concept?

suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By suneku

Otacon, if your going off of this paragraph from this page.

"A narrator found quite commonly in video games. It serves the purpose of teaching the player the controls, mechanics, and guiding them through an in-game tutorial. By doing so it touches briefly on the fourth wall.  Although rarely seen throughout the entire length of a game this narrator is often used for tutorial missions or as a guide for what to do next"

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By lordofultima

I wouldn't say that Otacon is "unreliable" by any sense of the word, though he's most definitely a narrator.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4  Edited By Suicrat

He does not fit the 'unreliable narrator' role, to be sure. An unreliable narrator is like GLaDOS or Atlas.

Also, we don't yet know that the RSPD narrator is unreliable either. Too early in the story to tell.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By TheGTAvaccine
    Suicrat said:
    "He does not fit the 'unreliable narrator' role, to be sure. An unreliable narrator is like GLaDOS or Atlas.

Also, we don't yet know that the RSPD narrator is unreliable either. Too early in the story to tell.
    "
    Except GLaDOS nor Atlas are narrators either. They're just characters.
    suneku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By suneku

Yeah I've been wondering if MGS4 really fits in here or not... Otacon is pretty reliable.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By lordofultima

GLaDOS is a narrator, she talks you through every level in the game. I think you're completely wrong on that one. She's also -- as you may know -- very unreliable.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8  Edited By Suicrat

A narrator can be a character. In fact, narrators often are characters. What they need to do is guide the player's actions, much like in a book how a narrator keeps the story tied together.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By chililili
    lordofultima said:
    "GLaDOS is a narrator, she talks you through every level in the game. I think you're completely wrong on that one. She's also -- as you may know -- very unreliable.
    "
    She is not a narrator there has laready been a long discussion on that, I just saw that someone added FFX to the page and that is a game with a narrator! At the beginning Tidus says "listen to my story. This may be our last chance." THAT IS A NARRATION, nowhere does GladOS, Atlas or anyother characters just says to the audience hey lsiten to this or let me tell you this story or this happened later on or I thought about this while he said this.

Having said that Tidus is not an unreliable narrator because he is completely honest to the audience.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lordofultima

Narrator is a very subjective concept on its own, and varies in definition according to where you're reading.

Chill Pill.
    Chill Pill.

I suggest a chill pill.

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By spacetrucking
    lordofultima said:
    "Narrator is a very subjective concept on its own, and varies in definition according to where you're reading.

Chill Pill.
    Chill Pill.

I suggest a chill pill.

"
    Mario is unreliable. Ditch the pill!

This is Mario's true nature:
    The unreliable narrator!
    The unreliable narrator!

Psytek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Psytek

I didn't mean to question who is/isn't a narrator. I'm just thinking, Otacon Is reliable, which is why I asked if, perhaps, Naomi was the character that was in mind when MGS4 was added to the list, since she does kind of push the story forward to a certain extent, but its never really clear if she's being unreliable/lying, or if she's just plain crazy.

ProxySoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By ProxySoldier

The difference between a Narrator and a character is that the character you play as is not aware of the narrator talking. He, she, or it is speaking directly to the player.Thus Glados is not a narrator. At least, that is, the way this page is using the term narrate, otherwise every character who speaks is technically a narrator.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By chililili
    ProxySoldier said:
    "The difference between a Narrator and a character is that the character you play as is not aware of the narrator talking. He, she, or it is speaking directly to the player.Thus Glados is not a narrator. At least, that is, the way this page is using the term narrate, otherwise every character who speaks is technically a narrator."
    Thank you for putting it in simple words.
    Hazeunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By Hazeunit

I think Jackie Estacado, Nariko and Kratos are three unreliable up narrators.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By chililili
    Hazeunit said:
    "I think Jackie Estacado, Nariko and Kratos are three unreliable up narrators."
    Kratos doesn't ever narrate. Its always the voice of Oracle/Gaia
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HandsomeDead

The only thing I could say about Otacon being unreliable is when he tells Sunny that Snake has to go away for a while when it's assumed that Snake is dead, but seeing as he doesn't kill himself, I doubt it would count and even if it did, that's petty reasoning.

Keeng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By Keeng

Yeah, Otacon doesn't count.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.