Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Nov 16, 2004

Bloodlines is a first person action-RPG built on Source engine and based on the World of Darkness setting from White Wolf.

Any Good Texture Mods?

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By flaminghobo

As much as I love this game already I can't help but notice there are a number of glaringly bad textures. So I was wondering if any veteran Vamp players could recommend a good, or a few good, texture mods.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Origina1Penguin

High memory settings can cause blurry (or even missing) textures. The latest bug patches should fix other problems with them not loading all the way. As far as I know, there is only one large texture mod (forgot it's name), but it caused me problems. I may try it again when I start a fourth character, then I'll let you know. All I'm using right now is the True Patch Gold, NPC Resolution Pack (comes as an extra with True Gold), Uprez Patcher (comes as a utility with True Gold), and an Eye Replacement Mod.

You can read about True Patch Gold from here (site is NOT Safe For Work) or directly download it here (safe).

You can find the Eye Replacement Mod here.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Subjugation

The patches that I used were the Wesp patches. I think it may have some very minor effect on texture clarity, but much like you I also looked for an HD texture pack when I got the game since it shows that this is one of the first (if not the first) games to use the source engine. I just bit the bullet and completed the game regardless because I enjoyed the ambience so much. I've said it a dozen times before and I'll say it again: I would kill for a modern version of this game.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By gike987

I don't know any texture pack. But I use the resolution patch (you can find it in the extra folder in the unofficial patch), 4x4 supersampling, 16xAF and -3.00 load bias. I don't find the graphics too bad.

No Caption Provided
    Hi-res
    No Caption Provided
    Hi-res
    EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By EvilDingo

I must admit after playing this yesterday for quite a few hours, It certainly does show it's age. I does look rough. Also with that Hi-res patch.

I still find the Oblivion-engine to be more than tolerable to look at, which in itself also i quite old - but I guess you forget that that engine pushed the envelope back in 2006... and this game is 2 years older than that. 
    ...But I really had no problems making the game work with the community patch, so I probably shouldn't jinx it by trying out additional patches to improve the graphics though. 

I will say there certainly is something captivating about this game.
    I wasn't even supposed to begin playing a game really, since I'm currently playing through Fallout New Vegas. I just booted it up to get it working, but apparently couldn't stop. Ended up playing 7 hours.

The pace of the game FEELS faster than a game like Oblivion/Fallout. After being somewhat overwhelmed by character-creation screen, I just eventually dived in. 
    The missions seem quick - and unlike how I usually play, I tend to stick with my... stupid stupid... choices. Instead of reloading and doing it "right". It will probably bite me in the ass at some point. 

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MeierTheRed

Any good ones? no. I only found one, and it wasn't a complete texture mod. Your best bet is probably just to goto to moddb and get some of the character re-skins and the eye replacer mod. 

And of course if you haven't already, there is a slew of unofficial patches out there. Take your pick. Plus the widescreen hack, which if it works you need to do this step. (Source

Section #2

The resolution has been changed. Now go in game and the resolution will be listed in the dropdown menu. Select the resolution and then exit and the game. Now right-click on the shortcut that launches the Vampire game executable and select properties. Look in the "Documents and Settings" folder if you cannot locate the shortcut.

In the target box we are going to add the "-console" option to the end of the target location. We will need the in game console later. Load up the game.

You should now have a working widescreen resolution in game. But you may have noticed some problems. Everything is stretched. Things are transparent on the edges of the screen. We can fix these problems. Do this when you have control of your character so you can see what is happening. Press the tilde key to bring up the console. We are going to type "r_anamorphic 1" to enable anamorphic display mode. Now type "FOV 69" to offset the anamorphic zoom.

The anamorphic switch is global and needs to be changed only once. The FOV switch needs to be changed with every new game. Once you have saved a game with the FOV switch you can load it up and the FOV will remained changed. Congrats.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By flaminghobo

Thanks for all the recommendations! Some have definitely improved my experience with the game.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Marz

It's kinda tough to replace textures, you have to mess around with the VPK tool.  Thus why there are only a few reskins here and there and not a total texture package available.

countstex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By countstex

Ah, a widescreen hack! Will have to try that tonight. Using the community patch I found the visuals as I would expect from such an age of game, but being limited to 1600x1200 was annoying. Thanks for the links.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Venatio
    @gike987: Can you link me to the patch that was used in those pictures? Possibly with instructions?
    gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By gike987

@Venatio said:

@gike987: Can you link me to the patch that was used in those pictures? Possibly with instructions?

It came packed with the Unofficial Patch. You can find it in a folder called extras in the game directory. I don't know if the widescreen hack is available without using the unofficial patch as I always install that mod before I play this game. The basic version of the unofficial patch mostly fix bugs anyway so you should be safe to use it even if you are playing the game for the first time.

UnrealDP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By UnrealDP

I can see why you would want your game to look better, but dude that game is screwed up enough with that crazy unofficial patch nonsense, i wouldn't chance it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.