Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Virtual Reality

Concept »

Games that have you going into a computer generated virtual universe.

Fried Flounder: Virtual Reality is Being Marketed Poorly

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By TheFlamingo352

Finals are done and extended family is yelling at me over the phone: the holidays are here, and this is Fried Flounder, my vaguely-scheduled attempts at critical writing.

If you die in the game....
    If you die in the game....

This past week my brother and I had our first foray into virtual reality, chipping in together on PSVR, wondering what all this virtual hullabaloo was about. I had originally intended this to be a write-up on my initial impressions of the system, and of VR as a whole, but as tends to happen, a more interesting subject revealed itself while writing.

After some hours in the headset, something among my impressions of VR, following the initial jitters and hyperbole, was unfortunately familiar: a lack of compelling software. Quality VR games at decent prices can be difficult to find, and while I suspect this problem is somewhat alleviated on more-open PC platforms like the Rift or Vive, low player counts in online multiplayer experiences like EVE: Valkyrie (2016) paint a worrying picture. For the record, I don’t think VR is going the way of the Kinect (i.e. extinction), but that doesn’t mean it’s bound for success, either. If hopes- corporate or otherwise- of world-changing sales are to be fulfilled, current marketing of virtual reality has to change.

As said marketing currently stands, “VR...has to be experienced to impress.” Oculus’ multiple demo stations at Best Buys across the US seem to agree, not to mention the similar deal Sony signed to showcase their own PSVR peripheral in those very same stores. Compare this push for demo headsets across the country with the relative dearth of advertising from all three major headset developers- HTC, Oculus, and Sony. Now, I understand the “VR...has to be experienced to impress” angle; we’re talking about a revolutionary technology, the kind whose software potential hasn’t nearly been met, and whose actual strengths are mired in a public perception of virtual reality that could be decades-old and far less impressive. The lack of traditional advertising of VR platforms astounds me, nonetheless, despite the above arguments by which VR headset retailers are presenting their product.

WELCOME TO THE FUTURE
    WELCOME TO THE FUTURE

Put plainly, VR isn’t being advertised enough to financially live up to the ambitions of its greatest champions, in part because it seems these champions, including Oculus CEO and political disappearing-act Palmer Luckey, seem to think “Virtual Reality is inevitable.” It’s a romantic notion, to say that your tech is so good that it won’t need advertisements, or broader marketing, to be successful. Really the only ones at fault for VR not changing the world are the ones who haven’t bothered to try a headset on. Yeah, I think VR is damn cool (I get rabidly excited every time Windlands (2016) boots up), but to think a platform will be invariably successful with enough time is awfully naive. VR isn’t above a television slot or Youtube ads.

The long game thankfully isn’t so dire, with Oculus’s efforts in wireless HMDs (Head-mounted displays), as well as their recent partnership with Insomniac, giving a glimpse of what the next generation of virtual reality might look like. Personally, I’d like to see greater exposure for VR through asynchronous cooperative play between VR and TV players; imagine something akin to Titanfall, TV players as pilots and VR players as titans. It’s reaching into fanciful conjecture, I know, but the possible breadth of exposure such a game could offer VR is compelling nonetheless.

What do you guys think, though? Will Rifts and Vives crash as a gimmick, or will virtual reality permeate lives in the ways we’ve been told to imagine? I’m taken to think the latter, but not without some course correction.

**This, for reference, is discussing high-grade VR headsets: HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, and PSVR. More affordable products like Google Daydream and Samsung’s Gear VR, made in partnership with Oculus, were deemed different enough from the above to be excluded.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Nice blog. I'm still in the VR looks cool but it's still nothing more than a novelty camp. I'd like to believe VR is the future but I'm not about to drop thousands of dollars on a new PC and headset if there is nothing that screams killer app yet. The sad thing is developers aren't going to sink the money into developing that killer app if there aren't enough headsets out there so it's a vicious cycle.

If VR does succeed it won't be because of the Vive, Oculus, or PSVR it will be because of the cheaper options like Gear VR and Google Daydream. It's easier to convince someone to try out a new technology if it's under a $100 and requires nothing more than owning a phone. That seems like the best way to convince your average consumer into eventually buying one of the more expensive headsets.

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@bartok: Gear VR is definitely the highest-profile setup outside tech circles, the one people seem to bring up if I ask about VR. I'd be interested to see what the conversion rates from Gear owners to higher-grade HMDs are, though; the lack of statistics is pretty excruciating.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.