Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Warframe

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Mar 25, 2013

From the studio that co-created the Unreal series comes a free-to-play third-person Loot Shooter pitting a group of superhuman warriors (in advanced exo-armor systems known as "Warframes") against a hostile universe.

Looks like the GB crew and I are on the same page.

Panelhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

In my small group friends, I'm the one who has played the most Warframe. I love it, and enjoyed watching it change from procedurally generated hallways to space adventure. (Complete with Cliches like the "slightly werid ship's AI") I only stopped playing in September. (After you got your own ship, but before they did anything with it.) I've thinking about getting into it again for the last 2 weeks when, lo and behold, the GB set up a QL for the latest update. So, to my point. Are you guys planing to get back into Warframe?

Also, Warframe is better than Destiny. Just gonna put that out there..

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've played it off and on throughout the year. (I think I have like 400 hours in the game now, or something crazy like that.) It's a great game to come back to every few months and have a whole bunch of new stuff to do. Being free to play has been a huge boon for this game, as I can just pop in whenever I'm in the mood and see what cool new stuff has been added, I don't even have to worry about my PS+ subscription. I had fun with Destiny (more than most people apparently) but between the $20 expansion and the essentially reqired ps+ I'm much less inclined to jump back in on a whim.

The last update got me playing regularly again and I probably will continue to do so for the forseeable future. At least until the next big game release.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yeah but the fact that I have to grind the same boss for a chance of a helmet blueprint I need still rubs me the wrong way, especially if it's one of those annoying bosses like that flamethrower boss. Other than the grinding it's a great and fun game, they added a bunch of new stuff since I last played, your mission lady is now an animated lady instead of a static picture, your own ship, interface and everything.

quemador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't play much of it, kinda mess with the thing when it came out but i don't think i finished the tutorial. So whats the deal with this game?, is a free to play and in my book that means " welcome to grind" if you want to see some progress or buy a bunch of "packs". im not very familiar with free to play so excuse my ignorance but can you or someone give a hint of how much you need to "invest" to get the game going.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quemador: The game is "grindy", but in the sense that any loot game is grindy. It's not much different than your average MMO or Diablo. (Or Destiny.) It may not be immediately obvious, but Warframe is pretty much all about the loot grind.

The best thing about the game though is that you don't have to pay a single cent to access any of the features in the game. The vast majority of the stuff that requires their payed currency is only cosmetic. But even that stuff can be obtained with out actually having to pay any real money, since you can trade platinum with other players. You can make a lot of free platinum just trading stuff you find in the game with other players. I don't know of any other F2P game that lets you trade their payed currency with other players, and I have to respect them for that. They have one of the least scummy F2P business models I have encountered.

Panelhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quemador: Well, if I'm brutally honest, there is and always will be a certain amount of both grinding and pay to win in free to play games. Nothing in Warframe actual game is behind a pay wall, what you buy will simply upgrade how much of a badass you are. 80% of the game is co op focused so it's not like you'll be having your arse handed to you or anything.

Camelizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I might get back into it. I think I stopped at roughly the same time as you. The Kubrow thing was fairly new when I stopped playing and it was before the archangel thing came about. Probably will watch the Quick Look and see if grabs my attention again. I stopped because I didn't have the time to devote to grinding out materials and levels. Spending what time I do have for video games on the kind of game play that Warframe requires might not be currently worth it for me.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By zombie2011

I downloaded it on my Xbox but as soon as it got done updating i watched a couple videos of it and tought i wouldn't be into it so i deleted it before even playing. 2 days later GB is talking about it putting vids up, i guess i will have to re-download it tonight.

Nvm, after reading some of the stuff in this thread it seems really gind focused and i don't have much time to play games so i don't want to spend it grinding the same levels.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By ajamafalous

Just to step on the throat of the discussion you mentioned and some people might try to bring up here: Destiny and Warframe are not even in the same genre god fucking damnit guys you can't just keep comparing Destiny to every game with loot. Warframe is closer to something like PSO or Diablo (but not equivalent because you aren't finding loot with random stats on it) in structure, in that you're running through discrete, procedurally-generated levels made up of stitched-together tilesets (like Diablo II) over and over. Destiny is an MMO because literally every system in the game is ripped from either one or multiple MMOs (static non-randomized world, instanced dungeons, rep grinds, weekly mark cap, daily/weekly lockouts, non-randomized loot (with a few exceptions), etc. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few). Destiny is not Diablo and Destiny is not Borderlands (which is Diablo With Guns). It's like saying Diablo and WoW are the same thing because they both have loot and skill trees.

That being said, I have 335 hours in Warframe (I've been playing since the closed beta, but I haven't played since last May) and 230 hours in Destiny. I absolutely love both games, but for different reasons. They certainly don't occupy the same genre space other than 'shooter' and 'grinding,' and if you were raising your pitchforks about Destiny not having a story, boy howdy, you might as well stop thinking about downloading Warframe because the story is all lore-based, Dark Souls-style, and it is essentially "You are a race of aliens, and there are other races of aliens and they are bad. Go kill them." Warframe is a very mechanics-heavy game, and if you didn't like Destiny for what it is, chances are you probably won't like Warframe.

But hey, maybe you will, and if you do, great, you should play more of it, because it's a great game! If you're playing on PC, be sure to check out the GB clan; lots of vets always willing to help new players.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik said:

@quemador: The game is "grindy", but in the sense that any loot game is grindy. It's not much different than your average MMO or Diablo. (Or Destiny.) It may not be immediately obvious, but Warframe is pretty much all about the loot grind.

The best thing about the game though is that you don't have to pay a single cent to access any of the features in the game. The vast majority of the stuff that requires their payed currency is only cosmetic. But even that stuff can be obtained with out actually having to pay any real money, since you can trade platinum with other players. You can make a lot of free platinum just trading stuff you find in the game with other players. I don't know of any other F2P game that lets you trade their payed currency with other players, and I have to respect them for that. They have one of the least scummy F2P business models I have encountered.

Just off the top of my head, Spiral Knights and Guild Wars 2 also let you trade for the paid currency :)

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@panelhopper: I played during the founding days of the GB guild. I was sorta addicted to it for a month or so and couldn't even explain it. Very quickly Steam showed me over 100 hours logged into the thing and most of my free time was spent thinking about Warframe and thinking about what upgrades I want and what frames will I craft next. Then just as suddenly as it flared up my interest in the game completely fell off. I had reached some weird outer body experience where I looked at all the time I was spending on basically running the same couple of missions and decided it's time to move on.

So it will be interesting to see where the game went after I left. Last I played they were adding those planet surface missions, mainly the red desert looking one, which in my opinion weren't very fun to play and at the time they had a ton of problems with falling through geometry etc.

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Loafsmooch

I started playing it a few months ago and got hooked instantly. Maxed out a few warframes and got all the weapons and mods I wanted simply by playing and trading. Then I got bored :/

While you do get major advantages with the paid currency, I was surprised by how easy it was to trade for it once you start running the high level stuff.

I had a lot of fun. I just wish there was more of an endgame and harder bosses. Will definitely be coming back to it at some point.

SumMexican75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You still have to buy Wraframe and weapon slots, but other than that everything else can be obtained without plat.

Panelhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Panelhopper

@ajamafalous: you're right, I was generalising a bit too much there. Call me crazy, but I really like the Warframe lore. It really grabs me. But, then again, I actually thought Dark Sector was ok, so maybe I'm a bit nuts. Same thing with Dark souls, love that lore as well. Destiny on the other hand, left me cold. I can't really explain it.

Panelhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Panelhopper

@humanity: yeah, I know that feeling, I was like that too when I first started. It was actually the first game I downloaded to my PS4 went I bought it in march 2014. I had to stop when I started considering some of the higher plat purchases.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

I've played a bunch on PC and PS4 since launch; its a pretty decent game, honestly. I liked it enough to throw them some money in support of it. I'll also be perfectly honest and say I enjoyed my total time with Warframe more than Destiny. Way more combat diversity in Warframe. They still need to improve enemy AI, but its getting there quick.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

You still have to buy Wraframe and weapon slots, but other than that everything else can be obtained without plat.

Yeah, other than the slots I haven't spent money on anything (373 hours logged on steam fyi). Frankly I like the process of farming for the parts and building it, it's more satisfying at the end when you get it. And I'm also not a gamer that's in a rush to get things so I don't really have a problem with waiting x days that many people seem to have.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Between Warframe and Destiny I found out this particular style of game design is totally not for me.

I like my games to have a structure, good story and substance.

None of that can be found in these games.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By veektarius

I don't love Warframe, but it's got more mechanics than your average paid third person shooter and the developer does not skimp on investing their revenue in further improvements. Every time I come back they've overhauled it in some way. I personally think it's an ideal model for a free to pay game. If I had a specific objection to it it's that the skill levels, i.e. the gates used to allow access to better weapons, come too slow. Still, i'll be playing it again for a bit since GB brought it back to my attention.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started again (played it when it first came out) a few weeks ago. Had that same "this is totally just third-person ninja Destiny" revelation. Been messing around here and there. Might see about joining the GB clan if I decide to put more time into it.

Refactored

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played a tonne when it was first released on PS4 and fully upgraded a few frames but dropped off ages ago.

Jeff mentioning going back to your "ship" (the Dojo? The main screen? Something else entirely?) for stores confused me and then when he mentioned space combat I was blown away. Think I'll drop back in this evening and see how it is.

warpchy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By warpchy

@ajamafalous: GW2 has no player to player trading system. What you can do is exchange in game currency with the money currency via their market, which is used to buy stuff from the money store, or sell gems to the market for in game gold, which you can use to buy stuff from the trading post from other players.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@warpchy said:

@ajamafalous: GW2 has no player to player trading system. What you can do is exchange in game currency with the money currency via their market, which is used to buy stuff from the money store, or sell gems to the market for in game gold, which you can use to buy stuff from the trading post from other players.

You can still obtain the paid currency without paying anything, which was the point of his comment.

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#24  Edited By Mnemoidian

Destiny is an MMO because literally every system in the game is ripped from either one or multiple MMOs (static non-randomized world, instanced dungeons, rep grinds, weekly mark cap, daily/weekly lockouts, non-randomized loot (with a few exceptions), etc. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few).

It's worth noting that Warframe is increasingly encroaching on those things - and loot is not entirely "random" in Warframe - every enemy has a specific loot table (mods and blueprints). And Factions were recently added to the game with the associated reputation grinds (with a daily cap, to top it off!) :)

Haven't played Destiny, so I won't compare them, but from what I've seen of it, I can imagine a lot of people feeling that the games scratch the same/similar itch.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That QL made me interested. I'm downloading the game right now.

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

You are revived by a computer, chased by bad guys, have to find a ship, and repair that ship. You then go on missions in the solar system, level up weapons, fight different enemy factions, and collect crafting materials.

There are some similarities to Destiny.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried playing it last night and it didn't feel good to play.

Shame.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I might give this a shot again since the update. The small amount of it I played when I got my PS4 it seemed barren but it looks like once you get passed the beginning areas it seems to ramp up fairly quickly. Too much stuff to catch up on!

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know about this... played for about 4 hours between yesterday and today and I'm not really felling it...

First I read in many places people saying that this was no p2win, that everything you could get with real money was mostly cosmetic etc, but this is absolutely not true at all, basically you can buy anything you want with the paid currency, namely ridiculously powerful weapons (which are all better in many ways in comparison with the stuff you can get with in game currency), so yeah this game is the definition of pay 2 win pretty much.

second the movement really feels horrible, janky as shit and unresponsive, 3 out of 4 times the idiot will do the complete opposite what I wanted him to do, the shooting feels alright but nothing great really, playing with kbm so maybe it's better with a gamepad? I'll try it later...

and third WTF is up with the ridiculous ramp in difficulty? I mean right after you complete the initial "campaign" you can do these assorted missions like capture some dudes, defend some control points etc, but they are hard as shit pretty early on, I tried one of the early missions on earth something about defending excavation sites(recommended levels 1-6) and holy shit... 5 minutes in and the things get swarmed by absurdly powerful enemies that take each a full clip of that initial pea shooter you get to bring down, to me it's clear that they do this so you'll go like "well I guess I need some better equipment" and then proceed to spend some cash...

Seriously I Saw some comments of people saying that this is better than Destiny and the only thing I can say is that either those people never played Destiny in the first place or they are completely insane, this plays nowhere near as good os is nowhere near as balanced.

I'll keep trying to get into it I guess, I hope they send my an invite for the official GB PC clan so maybe i'll get some pointers, but it's not looking too good to be honest...

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onarum said:
    First I read in many places people saying that this was no p2win, that everything you could get with real money was mostly cosmetic etc, but this is absolutely not true at all, basically you can buy anything you want with the paid currency, namely ridiculously powerful weapons (which are all better in many ways in comparison with the stuff you can get with in game currency), so yeah this game is the definition of pay 2 win pretty much.

I think you're a bit confused about what people mean when they talk about Warframe not being pay to win - Cosmetic items and inventory slotsare the only things that are ONLY available for platinum ("real money"). That's not to say that you could not go into the shop and buy yourself a shortcut to a specific weapon. However, those weapons can all be obtained by playing the game. Adding to that, a large portion of the most powerful weapons and Warframes in the game are not available for real world currency at all (some are for limited periods).

Feel free to mention specific weapons or Warframes if you think I'm wrong, and I'll let you know where you can find them. (Fair warning: most will probably be out of your reach as a new player.)

Most who stick with Warframe agree that this is a pretty good business model, as grinding for weapons and warframes are a very large part of the game, and if you don't enjoy that, Warframe probably isn't the game for you. Having most items available for purchase in this manner gives you an alternative method of obtaining specific items that may be elusive. But if that's not your thing, you do not need to spend platinum on weapons in the marketplace. (There are a handful of weapons sold for credits (in-game currency) in the marketplace as well, though, as well as blueprints (again, for credits) for most of the platinum-sold items to be used with the forge to craft said items.)

In regards to movement - there are certainly inconsistencies (which the developers acknowledge and are planning on improving), but largely it's about getting a feel for the movement system. Playing with veterans, you'll notice that the movement system works quite well once you get used to it.

Difficulty is a difficult matter in Warframe, and I can understand that the developers are struggling to get it quite right. New players struggle and Veterans who have figured out mechanics destroy everything (don't get me wrong, there is challenging content for us...). You may need to replay earlier missions a few times to rank up your items and find some mods to put in your items before you move on. You'll want some damage mods in your weapons and probably Redirection (shield strength) in your warframe at the least. (preferably after Fusing the mod to a higher rank)

Err... Yeah, details. Feel free to ask if you have any specific questions ;)

Panelhopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally got in to the update today: really like it, not much change since I last played, (apart from the arching stuff, which I can't access yet because god damn it those rank challenges are hard) but was is there is great. They've over hauled the hacking mini game, which is great because I really struggled with the original. And they've got rid of using the ps4 pad for powers, thank god! Also, the art team continue to do great work. Love the Mesa design!

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mnemoidian: umm yeah I guess that's reasonable.

As for difficulty I'm just having a tough time figuring out which are on my lvl and which aren't, actually I ended up buying a bow and it helped a great deal in some mission types, being all sneaky and avoiding conflict... because man I go down FAST, got some mods in for higher health and faster shield regen but it didn't helped much.

And yes I do have a question that has been bugging me for a while, do any of the weapons or warframes actually drop from enemies and stuff? because as off now the only "drops" I got were mods, if all you can get from enemy drops are mods then imo this is not much of a loot game at all.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ajamafalous said:

Destiny is an MMO because literally every system in the game is ripped from either one or multiple MMOs (static non-randomized world, instanced dungeons, rep grinds, weekly mark cap, daily/weekly lockouts, non-randomized loot (with a few exceptions), etc. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few).

It's worth noting that Warframe is increasingly encroaching on those things - and loot is not entirely "random" in Warframe - every enemy has a specific loot table (mods and blueprints). And Factions were recently added to the game with the associated reputation grinds (with a daily cap, to top it off!) :)

Haven't played Destiny, so I won't compare them, but from what I've seen of it, I can imagine a lot of people feeling that the games scratch the same/similar itch.

When I said non-randomized loot, I meant that you aren't finding a shotgun with +3 damage and comparing it to your shotgun with -4 spread. A Sobek is a Sobek and a Hek is a Hek, for example. You're right about the factions having different loot tables for mods (MMOs do the same thing: Cruel Barb was always Cruel Barb, but it only droped from the last boss of Deadmines).

I haven't played since they added rep grinds, though, so thanks for the heads-up!

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Mnemoidian

@onarum: Normal enemies only drop mods (don't underestimate mods though, you'll end up wishing you got more of these). For weapons and Warframes, you'll want to find bosses.

The first boss you'll come across is likely to be Captain Vor on Mercury, he drops the blueprints for the Chronus sword and Seer pistol. Typically, each planet has a boss, which drops a number of blueprints and/or components. The second boss you'll come drops the components to a very tanky Warframe (Rhino, which a lot of players favor).

Worth noting is also that there's a concept known as "Supercharging", which doubles the amount of "power" per level that is available for you to power mods with (so you'd have 2 power at Rank 1, 10 power at Rank 5, 60 power at rank 30). The Orokin Catalysts (for weapons) and Orokin Reactors (for Warframes) are very rare however.

@ajamafalous: Fair enough. But that +3 damage vs -4 spread is part of the mod system. In many ways, one could draw similarities between Warframe's mod system how World of Warcraft's reforging system used to work, letting you decide which statistics to focus on. But maybe I'm misreading you on how Destiny handles loot, so never mind :)

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Zeik

@onarum: Keep in mind that this is a multiplayer co-op focused game and thus there are modes (like interception, defense, excavation) that are designed with multiple players in mind. They do balance around the number of players to an extent, but with starting gear soloing some of those early modes are going to be significantly harder than they need to be. You can absolutely make it through the first planet or two with just the starting gear, but having other players with you does make a difference.

The most significant loot grinding comes from void missions. It's the only place to find Prime weapon and warframe blueprints. Most of the end game revolves around doing void missions for Prime gear.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: @mnemoidian:

Thanks for the answers, I've been enjoying that bow, it's slow but piercing 3 enemies at once and pinning them to a wall is very satisfying.

Good to know that bosses drop actual stuff, imma try and grind Vor for a bit since it's doable, I did try playing with other people but the matchmaking was taking a very long time, and there was this one time that it took like 10 minutes and then finally I was put together with 1 other guy in an excavation mission, but we got destroyed anyway.

PrivodOtmenit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Destiny is not an MMO. Where is the massively part? PlanetSide 2 is more of an MMO.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onarum: You might conisder adjusting your region settings. Sometimes that can help with matchmaking. After a certain point some of those missions are pretty barren though, because there's not much incentive for veteran players to go back and do them again. You could always hit up recruitment chat and see if any other newbies want to roll with you.

To be clear, bosses dropping weapon blueprints is rare. The majority of them drop bps for new warframes. (Or rather, bps for parts of a warframe.) Until you start doing void missions most of your new weapons are going to come from using blueprints you buy from the market or a clan dojo and then building them in the foundry. It's definitely not a Destiny style loot system.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I maxed out my initial frame and a few weapons. Thinking of throwing a few bucks at them to avoid farming parts and waiting for the foundry. Dammit, they've got me!

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I love that my dude is all orange now and has a sick ninja bow and staff, but everytime I try a free to play game, i immediately think "TRAP!" and get out while I still can.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.