Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Watch Dogs

Game » consists of 24 releases. Released May 27, 2014

A third-person open-world game from Ubisoft, set in an alternate version of Chicago where the entire city is connected under a single network, and a vigilante named Aiden Pearce uses it to fight back against a conspiracy.

What Do I Do? (Corrupted Save File)

Avatar image for omniscientcajun
    omniscientcajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

So I was loading into the very beginning of the Act II mission, "Collateral" when my PS4 locked up and shut down automatically. It rebooted in safe mode and told me to not unplug my power cord (...OK). Upon relaunching the game, I hit continue on the main menu and the game told me that my save file had been corrupted and could not be accessed. Now the "continue" option is grayed out.

What do I do? Do I restart the game? I had put considerable time into it, bringing the entire city online, all the ctOS towers accessed, a bunch of the side content completed. All of it gone. Even my pallet swapped purchased clothing. Poof.

Do I put it down for a while until some more patches roll through? My save file is gone, I know that. But if I do attempt to play it again, I'd like the same problem to not occur.

Do I just forget about it until a later date? My wallet cries at the thought, but I really wasn't loving it to begin with. I really like some of the mechanics and I've found the city to be pretty engaging (which surprised me, after reading Jeff's review). But so many of the "game" elements (core missions, side content) - along with the story and the characters - have struck me as uninteresting and lacking. I mean, right there should be my answer to stopping, regardless of a corrupted save file.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
    Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Do you have cloud saves on your PS4? It may have uploaded to the cloud and you can just download the files. You need to have PS+ though I believe.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Seems like you got no choice, but to restart it. On top of that your ps4 may be on the verge of breaking down like mine. There were times were my console would randomly freeze, and the last time it froze it wouldn't cut off so I pull the plug. It stop working afterwards and now its been shipped to Sony, and I can only hope I get a new one.

IIGrayFoxII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By IIGrayFoxII

@omniscientcajun: I am not too familiar with the PS4 interface, but is it possible the file may have been saved to the cloud?

I had this happen to me twice, once with Okami and the other with Assassins Creed 2. I had more time on my hands at the time and ended up replaying both. If I was you, I wouldn't force myself to do it all again. Fate just doesn't want you to play the game.

VannaDwight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By VannaDwight

This happened to my with Borderlands 2, right near end of game and power went out on 360 while saving was happening. After talking to Gearbox for a while the answer was clear. Sorry, play through it all over again.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Burn the disc and pretend you never played it.

Never look back.

MisTaH_T

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a perfect example of why multiple saves work. You have an auto-save that saves at checkpoints and a manual save. I hate to say it, but kind of like GTA.

I agree with waiting for a while before you play again man.

Avatar image for omniscientcajun
    omniscientcajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Thanks for the help, duders. I completely forgot about auto-uploads to the cloud through PS+!

Unfortunately, PS+ only allows 1 gig of uploaded save data, and for some reason NBA2K14 had a gig by itself. Since I've never had to download from the cloud before, this was the first time I noticed that monstrous cloud file. So my tale of woe continues, having none of my saves for the past few months uploaded. I've decided to take a break for a good while. I've got other stuff to play. Thanks again!

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I don't know why games that autosave don't use two saves to overwrite alternatively so that if one gets corrupted the other is a full back. I can't imagine that's hard to implement.

porjos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I feel your pain, and it sucks as I am int he same boat. There's a supposed work-around, but it didn't work for me (as well as many others).

At this point I am just watching for any updates on the issue...before I attempt a third time to play a new game.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn Ubisoft. This happened to me with Child of Light and Assassin's Creed.

YoussufAmr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It happened to me on my ps3

betterley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By betterley

@rowr said:

Burn the disc and pretend you never played it.

Never look back.

What he said.

You're PS4 did you a favor, it's almost like it knew you were wasting your time with a terrible game.

Move on with a smile.

EDIT:
    I just realized this is an old post...
    I'm guessing he has moved on by now. (hopefully)

justausername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By justausername

look thats the least of your problem MY WHOLE GAME IS CORRUPTED IT SAYS game data is corrupt exit the game then restart once you have deleted the game data 1. the game data isnt corrupt its not corrupted 2. i reinstalled it 3-4 TIMES

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.