Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

White Knight Chronicles: International Edition

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Feb 02, 2010

White Knight Chronicles is a mixture of traditional fantasy JRPG and good old fashioned mecha. The story features Leonard, a protagonist who can transform into the White Knight with the use of an ancient technology. The game also allows players to join forces over the internal multiplayer mode, Geonet.

Gamespot Review

essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By essaregee
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By vidiot

I gotta say, It's been a while since I visited Gamespot. Not to harp on this review, I haven't read it yet (reading it now) so I can't make a critical comment, although 6.0 seems pretty steep, then again the whole 10.0 scale thing annoys the crap out of me.
    Didn't this get mediocre reviews in Japan too?

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Snail

Well it is a one year old game.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By shadows_kill

Even tho it is a year old game + it didnt review well in japan (it sold well though) that review wasn't written well at all. Then in the video review was really boring cause he speaks in the same type of voice the whole entire time.. it was almost better watching the review muted..

EDIT: I'm buying this game no matter what reviews say anyway.

SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By SonicFire

I personally can't stand Tom McShea or his opinions. He's one of the main reasons I stopped visiting that site. I still remember him decrying Call of Duty because he thought war should be off limits in video games.  I can't remember though whether it was him or Brendan Sinclair who referred to the U.S. Military a "trained murder squad."  This was a couple years back now though, maybe it's changed.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By Jeust

Well the game seems to have some quirks... 

"The strangest aspect of the story is the manner in which your created character is utilized. Before your adventure begins, you enter a robust character creation screen in which you choose the gender, the physical attributes, and even the voice of your hero. However, when your quest begins, you will find out that your personalized avatar is not the protagonist but a silent companion along for the ride. Whereas everyone else in your party will mutter their desires, hint at their unrequited feelings of love, or pine for a far-away princess, your character will stand dumbly by only to observe the quest without ever being included in the camaraderie. It is a jarring, exclusionist feeling that makes it difficult to form any kind of connection to your created character. When you tackle side missions online, you control your created character, so you better get their skills in order and equip them with the finest weapons. But it feels really strange that they are never given any lines of dialogue or included in any substantial way during the main quest."    

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By Willy105

I remember 3 years ago we had a union on Gamespot hyping up this game.

That's right, 3 years.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By ch13696
    @Jeust said:
    " Well the game seems to have some quirks...  "The strangest aspect of the story is the manner in which your created character is utilized. Before your adventure begins, you enter a robust character creation screen in which you choose the gender, the physical attributes, and even the voice of your hero. However, when your quest begins, you will find out that your personalized avatar is not the protagonist but a silent companion along for the ride. Whereas everyone else in your party will mutter their desires, hint at their unrequited feelings of love, or pine for a far-away princess, your character will stand dumbly by only to observe the quest without ever being included in the camaraderie. It is a jarring, exclusionist feeling that makes it difficult to form any kind of connection to your created character. When you tackle side missions online, you control your created character, so you better get their skills in order and equip them with the finest weapons. But it feels really strange that they are never given any lines of dialogue or included in any substantial way during the main quest."     "
    Is this pulled from Gamespots review? Because that review does not make sense. Isn't that the way half of JRPG's work? You get a character with no dialogue? I'm really beginning to doubt this review. But if he doesn't like it then thats his opinion. It's not going to change mine.
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By handlas
    @ch13696 said:
    " @Jeust said:
    " Well the game seems to have some quirks...  "The strangest aspect of the story is the manner in which your created character is utilized. Before your adventure begins, you enter a robust character creation screen in which you choose the gender, the physical attributes, and even the voice of your hero. However, when your quest begins, you will find out that your personalized avatar is not the protagonist but a silent companion along for the ride. Whereas everyone else in your party will mutter their desires, hint at their unrequited feelings of love, or pine for a far-away princess, your character will stand dumbly by only to observe the quest without ever being included in the camaraderie. It is a jarring, exclusionist feeling that makes it difficult to form any kind of connection to your created character. When you tackle side missions online, you control your created character, so you better get their skills in order and equip them with the finest weapons. But it feels really strange that they are never given any lines of dialogue or included in any substantial way during the main quest."     "
    Is this pulled from Gamespots review? Because that review does not make sense. Isn't that the way half of JRPG's work? You get a character with no dialogue? I'm really beginning to doubt this review. But if he doesn't like it then thats his opinion. It's not going to change mine. "
    from the vids I've seen...you create a character and can swap between the main character (the guy that can turn into the White Knight) and your created character.  You can also take your created character online.

I see no problem with that, personally.   Game still looks good to me when I see vids of it.  Maybe I'll get around to buying it sometime.
    shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By shirogane

I didn't like Dark Cloud, or whatever it was that the guys made before. And from what i've seen of this, it feels like not something i'd like. Some part of it do interest me, but i guess we'll just see how it goes...
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jeust
    @handlas said:

" @ch13696 said:

" @Jeust said:
    Is this pulled from Gamespots review? Because that review does not make sense. Isn't that the way half of JRPG's work? You get a character with no dialogue? I'm really beginning to doubt this review. But if he doesn't like it then thats his opinion. It's not going to change mine. "
    from the vids I've seen...you create a character and can swap between the main character (the guy that can turn into the White Knight) and your created character.  You can also take your created character online.  I see no problem with that, personally.   Game still looks good to me when I see vids of it.  Maybe I'll get around to buying it sometime. "
    The problem is the integration. if you read that excerpt, you'll see that you're going to create a character that stays silently on the back without much reason to turn to, except to level up for online, being the "weird kid" on the team. 

That and the fact that you can't transform into the white knight online, because the character that can transform into it isn't your avatar. 

These points seems bad.
    ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ch13696
    @Jeust: If there's an online mode for this game then you don't want every character looking the same. 
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jeust
    @ch13696: yep... but one of the main interest points was the white knight, so forgetting it completely subtracts from the experience i think. 
    frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By frankxiv

seems generous from what i've heard about the japanese version

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By get2sammyb

It's certainly piqued my interest. I expected the low scores as, like someone else mentioned, it is a year old, and critics weren't too hot on it back then if I recall. I'm still curious to check it out though. 

Not out here in the UK for a couple of weeks.
    essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By essaregee

from what Ive seen on WK, I can tell that it's not perfect. Another thing that isn't perfect is the review. 
    After reading it, it sounded like the reviewer did not put any thoughts into writing it, basically two pages of bickering and complaining on how the story was crap, and the combat was crap - sounds like a biased opinion. 
    Watching the review is even worse; the reviewer is bland and boring and has nothing worthwhile to say. 

The biggest problem with the game is an engaging story to keep you playing - that and a truly 'open world' experience. 
    If the open world experience was done right, this game could have been so much more, along with the story. I can only think of one game that came close to it - Ultima IX: Asscencion, and FF12 in some manner. 

It sounds like gamespot just has a pole up their ass (they always sound like that, and that's the reason I don't go there). Below is a list of other reviews, and the game looks - okay, 

SiteDateTypeRating
    Game Informer02/02/10Review7.25 out of 10
    Game Revolution02/02/10Review B-
    GameSpot02/02/10Review 6 out of 10
    GameZone02/01/10Review 8 out of 10
    Playstation Official Magazine UK04/01/09Review8 out of 10
    Eurogamer02/18/09Review 8 out of 10
    Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Cerza

Ugh Tom Mc Shea... I can't stand him. The only reviewer from Game Spot I pay any attention to is Kevin and even his opinion I take with a grain of salt. Actually, make that a full salt shaker. The single player looked like it had issues, but online is what sold me on it. Playing online still looks hella fun to me and I am still picking up the game today.

Ashwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By Ashwyn

Game sorta reminds me of Infinite Undiscovery. The bland enviroments, the combat in a way and the predictable story, but hey i finished Infinite Undiscovery and thought it was ok, so i may try this game when it drops in price to around £15 (after it's eventually released in Europe).

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#19  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

I can't put much stock into these reviews considering the fact that the online servers just opened up. I don't want to sound like I'm rationalizing (what with my support for the game and my blue username), but most of these reviews mention the online aspects in passing; and lord only knows how the hell Game Informer got the game online. Even the reviewer for Gamespy admitted they weren't going to have a day one review because the servers weren't up.

essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By essaregee

IGN Review 

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/106/1066138p1.html  

Brutal.... I don't thnk I can say much more than that, a 5.1, that's even worse than gamespot, and IGN is usually soft. 
    There is quickly becoming a rift between the reviews... 

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By ttocs
    @essaregee said:

" IGN Review 

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/106/1066138p1.html   Brutal.... I don't thnk I can say much more than that, a 5.1, that's even worse than gamespot, and IGN is usually soft. There is quickly becoming a rift between the reviews...  "

No offense, but judging by your comments in this thread, it's almost like your trying to convince yourself that the game is good.  I'm sorry to say it, but the overwhelming poor reviews have to be onto something.  When the best review is an 8 and the worst, at the moment, a 51, I don't think you're going to get much of a game with this one.  

I'm a little disappointed myself because I was looking forward to it.  I thought it was going to be good.  Oh well though, guess I'll save my money and pick up BioShock and Dante's Inferno instead.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PureRok

The game's probably pretty good. This is why I don't read reviews or look at scores. Most reviews effect my opinion negatively, possibly causing me to miss out on a game I would have enjoyed.

Only read reviews retroactively and you may find that you have/play more games that you enjoy.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Demyx

I might rent it or something to see how it is. I don't know. I was looking forward to it.

essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By essaregee
    @ttocs: You are very right. 
    I am mostly convincing myself that the game is good, but was just looking for opinions. 
    When I get back, I will try out the game - I hope it will be good.... 

Then again, reviews are all biased in some way or another. I bet if they made a game about watering plants, someone would love it.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jeust
    @essaregee said:

" @ttocs: You are very right. I am mostly convincing myself that the game is good, but was just looking for opinions. When I get back, I will try out the game - I hope it will be good.... "

Good luck! And share your thoughts about the game afterwards. :) 
    Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#26  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
    @essaregee: Yo, if you're looking to do some online quests, add me!
    essaregee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By essaregee
    @Jeust: I will post my review on the game probably tomorrow or Thursday. 
    I have high hopes for it lol.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jeust

And it probably will live up to them in some part... :)

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By louiedog
    @PureRok said:
    " The game's probably pretty good. This is why I don't read reviews or look at scores. Most reviews effect my opinion negatively, possibly causing me to miss out on a game I would have enjoyed.  Only read reviews retroactively and you may find that you have/play more games that you enjoy. "
    Isn't the point of a review to give you an idea of whether or not you should sink your time and money into something?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.