Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii Fit

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released May 19, 2008

Hop on the Balance Board for some low-impact physical exercises in this fitness-based collection of minigames for the Nintendo Wii.

American Council on Exercise Charts 'Underwhelming' for Wii Fit

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Godwind
    http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=26016

The American Council on Exercise (ACE), a leading fitness authority and training organization, has released the results of a study that tested the effectiveness of Nintendo's exercise tool and balance trainer Wii Fit.

The study, conducted in cooperation with the University of Wisconsin La Crosse Exercise and Health Program, found that
    Wii Fit

Researchers at the University of Wisconsin tested the Free Run, Island Run, Free Step, Advanced Step, Super Hula Hoop and Rhythm Boxing portions of
    produced "underwhelming results," in terms of exercise intensity. Wii Fit, which were determined to be the game's most aerobically challenging activities.

The Free Run and Island Run gameplay portions yielded the highest energy expenditures, with players burning an average of 165 calories after 30 minutes of play. Rhythm Boxing, Super Hula Hoop, Advanced Step, and Free Step produced average calorie burning rates of 114, 111, 108 and 99 calories, respectively.

Researchers found that in all cases, performing an actual exercise activity rather than Wii Fit's virtual approximation resulted in "significantly higher" caloric expenditure. The Rhythm Boxing activity, in particular, burned one-third of the calories expended per minute of traditional boxing.

"While we found that playing the
    Wii Fit burns twice as many calories as a sedentary video game," said ACE's chief science officer Cedric X. Bryant, "the outcome of the study suggests that Wii Sports, the Wii's suite of exergames that includes tennis, boxing, golf and bowling, is a better option and more capable of helping consumers meet minimum intensity guidelines for exercise."

ACE's
    Wii Fit study tested men and women between the ages of 20-24 years old, and was led by John Porcari, Ph.D.; Carl Foster, Ph.D.; and Alexa Carroll, M.S. Wii Fit's various balance exercises were not tested during ACE's research. 

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Nictel

Yeah but what about Wii Fit PLUS? :-P That has all kind of new exercises!

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Scooper
    @Godwind said:
    "While we found that playing the Wii Fit burns twice as many calories as a sedentary video game,"
    That was pretty funny when I read that. Playing Wii Fit is only twice as energy consuming as sitting on your ass playing Borderlands or something. Since people play hours of MW2 or SFIV and like 30mins of Wii Sports it probably evens out somewhere.
    super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By super_machine

I think the wii fit is good on paper, but not in reality. The one positive affect is that it gets people thinking about being active, but as a work out tool it fails. I'm 5'8" tall and weigh 172lbs, yet my wii fit tells me I'm over weight. At 29 years old I can run a 23minute 5k and I have a wash board stomach, how the fuck am I over weight? Some weight = muscle mass nintendo. Duh! Wii fit fail.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No shit.. anyone who thought Wii Fit was actually a decent way to work out/keep in shape/lose weight is a bit of a dick..

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By rallier
    @Nictel said:

" Yeah but what about Wii Fit PLUS? :-P That has all kind of new exercises! "

Actually I'm pretty sure that all the activities listed are Wii Fit Plus games so i suppose that this "study" is based on that. 

Anyway this study only points out the obvious. Of course actual boxing is more demanding then Wii Fit's Rythem Boxing and thus burns more calories but will someone who is kind of out of shape and is not all that motivated to get back in shape enjoy actual boxing let alone do it again? Wii Fit is a great exercise tool not in how fast it helps people lose weight but how it keeps people motivated to carry on.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I knew that thing was just a gimmick, how the hell are you going to lose weight with a white piece of shit on the floor, just go for a jog or use a speed bag, there are tons of things you could do that would burn way way more calories.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#8  Edited By Meowayne

Researchers found that in all cases, performing an actual exercise activity rather than Wii Fit's virtual approximation resulted in "significantly higher" caloric expenditure.

Er... duh?
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#9  Edited By Meowayne

"Wii Fit is a great exercise tool not in how fast it helps people lose weight but how it keeps people motivated to carry on. "

Exactly.
    MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By MKHavoc

Why is this news to anyone?  Wii Fit is meant to be a game first and exercise second.  If you're actually trying to lose weight and pick up Wii Fit thinking that's all you need then you're doing it wrong.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.