Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii Fit

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released May 19, 2008

Hop on the Balance Board for some low-impact physical exercises in this fitness-based collection of minigames for the Nintendo Wii.

Getting Wii Fit

AndrewG009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 3

Edited By AndrewG009
    Wii Fit has been out for a while and I've been pondering as to how viable it actually is as a fitness utility. I'm aware that it exists for fun as well as healthy activity, however, I wonder if it is possible for someone who is a bit heavier to use it and actually become somewhat heartier and stronger as a person as a result. I have seen variousnewsoutlets and websites have their shot at it, but after reading through everything and not seeing it remotely taken from the perspective of a gamer, I became dissatisfied and decided to give it my own go. 

So, starting Monday, August 17, I'm going to give it a 3 month go on my own Wii Fit program. I will be documenting my weight daily as well as what I eat and when. I will also be documenting any outside exercise to keep things fair and honest. Every Friday I will post a cumulative update of the activity from the week prior as well as what games I unlocked, duration of the games played previously, and anticipations for the following week. 

I'm not saying this will work and I'm not saying this is the brightest idea I have ever had, but I best give it my shot because so far, every other attempt I have seen really hasn't done anything to make me believe it would work. Also, I don't believe that anyone else should try this. I consider this an experiment and have no problem exposing myself to it, but have extreme issues with media figureheads who say this worked for me, so it'll work for you. This is going to be an experiment. I want to emphasize that specifically in the same way Frankenstein resurrected a dead man. I don't know what is going to happen. I can only document things as best as I can and publish them in an open forum for any interested. 

In the meantime, if anyone has any suggestions or thoughts on the topic matter, feel free to drop me a message or a comment. 

--Andrew 
    stand back, trying science.
    AndrewG009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By AndrewG009
    Wii Fit has been out for a while and I've been pondering as to how viable it actually is as a fitness utility. I'm aware that it exists for fun as well as healthy activity, however, I wonder if it is possible for someone who is a bit heavier to use it and actually become somewhat heartier and stronger as a person as a result. I have seen variousnewsoutlets and websites have their shot at it, but after reading through everything and not seeing it remotely taken from the perspective of a gamer, I became dissatisfied and decided to give it my own go. 

So, starting Monday, August 17, I'm going to give it a 3 month go on my own Wii Fit program. I will be documenting my weight daily as well as what I eat and when. I will also be documenting any outside exercise to keep things fair and honest. Every Friday I will post a cumulative update of the activity from the week prior as well as what games I unlocked, duration of the games played previously, and anticipations for the following week. 

I'm not saying this will work and I'm not saying this is the brightest idea I have ever had, but I best give it my shot because so far, every other attempt I have seen really hasn't done anything to make me believe it would work. Also, I don't believe that anyone else should try this. I consider this an experiment and have no problem exposing myself to it, but have extreme issues with media figureheads who say this worked for me, so it'll work for you. This is going to be an experiment. I want to emphasize that specifically in the same way Frankenstein resurrected a dead man. I don't know what is going to happen. I can only document things as best as I can and publish them in an open forum for any interested. 

In the meantime, if anyone has any suggestions or thoughts on the topic matter, feel free to drop me a message or a comment. 

--Andrew 
    stand back, trying science.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

Wii Fit Plus is just around the corner and will offer many options the first lacked, like setting up exercise "playlists" so that you don't have to choose each and every one individually every single time, and other such stuff that will make it a better tool. Perhaps you'll find bundles and what not with it that are better deals than buying Wii Fit + balance board now and needing Wii Fit Plus down the line...

This guy did it twice, apparently.

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By super_machine
    @Al3xand3r: The wii fit+ can still be used with the current balance board. So you could buy wii fit now and by just the game disc for fit+ when it comes out.

I just bought a wii fit yesterday for my wife and I. I like to jog, and lift weights, my wife not so much. But I'll still use it to track my workout progress as I am trying to drop a few pounds. So far, my wife really likes it and I hope she too will stick to a 3 month routine we set up. 

Well, I hope you stick with it and try and eat better. Add more fruit and veggies to your diet as well as lean protien such as chicken, beans, tuna/chunk salmon (packed in water), low fat cottage cheese...etc. Also switch to whole wheat and take vitamins, cut down on the soda pop. Along with a regular workout schedule you can easily loose ten or more pounds in a few months.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Al3xand3r

I never said it can't be used with it, but there could be say $100 bundles of balance board + Wii Fit Plus or something close to that, which is better than $100 now for balance board + Wii Fit and $30 more later for Wii Fit Plus, or whatever. That's the kind of thing I was talking about.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Meowayne

With the exception of the minigames, EA Sports Active does everything Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus do, but better, and more. Got very good reviews, too. If you're serious about it, you should consider getting that instead of Wii Fit.

NA Box Art Front
    NA Box Art Front

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.