Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Are U excited about the Wii U

Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Twitchey
    Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Three0neFive

Not really.

I'm still not dismissing it entirely, but I don't see a reason to get it over the PSV.

Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Twitchey

Although I refused to buy a Wii because it felt like a Gamecube with a gimmick.
    I am excited about the Wii U because I loved Mario and the Wii U can play HD games like Metro, Assassin's Creed. and Dirt.

Add on: Turns out the Wii U can run 1080p..... Wait whaaa?

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By HandsomeDead

Does having this extra screen mean I still have to get the boomerang in the deku tree themed dungeon of the new Zelda?

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ninjakiller

I don't know, I'm kind of interested, but at this point if I get anything it'll be vita, the start saving for PS4.

Grumbel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 99

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Grumbel

WiiU is weird. There is sure some potential in having a second screen (even so I consider it rather tiny), but it seems such a waste to have a such a big screen on the controller. I much preferred it the way Sony did it with the PSP and PS3 remote play, where the PSP was actually a fully functional handheld on its own, instead of just a controller. Funny how Nintendo is essentially just copying Sony this time around (ok, not quite Nintendo's GBA/Gamecube link was already similar, but didn't allow streaming).

Another thing: I am rather disappointed that they seem to just recycle the Wiimote for the WiiU instead of providing the next generation of motion controllers, thus still no second analog stick :( on Wiimote. Thus motion gaming will stay into the casual realm for at least the next five years and dual analog is the way to go.

SteamPunkJin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By SteamPunkJin

At last we can welcome Nintendo to the current hardware generation?  It's nice to see they're at least embracing third-party support again but so far there's nothing to push the WiiU over the edge of 'At least they're even now', the iPad controller doesn't do anything for me (I was a big supported of the GBA<->GC cable but support was dropped SO quickly), and it looks pretty uncomfortable and expensive. Swing and a miss for Nintendo.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By Claude

Sure, I've enjoyed all my Nintendo home consoles. I'll probably get it day one just like I did for the Wii.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Sooty

I don't need another platform to play games available on other platforms. 

I have a 360 and PS3 for that.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#10  Edited By KowalskiManDown

The name of this thread made me sigh... pretty heavily. Congratulations.

As for being excited about the Wii U, I absolutely am! It looks really inventive, but also appealing to a person who plays predominantly core games.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By spankingaddict

Sure, I'm excited about the possibility's ,at least...

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#12  Edited By alistercat

Is the Nintendo conference thread not good enough? Is that no longer the place? We don't need so many Wii U threads.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

It looks like a neat device but they showed to many peripherals with it which really turned me off.

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Because of my general dislike of Nintendo, there is nothing appealing about it to me. I think the 3rd party games push is going to end up failing mainly because anyone who cares enough about all the games they're going to be bringing to the new Wii already owns another machine that can play those games. Its really strange to me that a company who normally sells consoles on the success of their first party games decided to tout irrelevant 3rd party support.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#15  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Is 3rd party support going to peter out HARD when the next generation of consoles drops and devs can no longer just port the Xbox 360 version? Probably. Are the 1st party titles going to be more updated versions of games we played on the N64? Probably. Is the technology going to be used well by anyone other than Nintendo? Probably not. I'm still willing to keep an open mind, mostly because the thing is more than a year away at this point and all they're showing is proof-of-concept stuff anyways, but I'm far more cynical than I was when the wii was announced. Mostly because I was like 12.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By wrighteous86

@President_Barackbar said:

No. Because of my general dislike of Nintendo, there is nothing appealing about it to me. I think the 3rd party games push is going to end up failing mainly because anyone who cares enough about all the games they're going to be bringing to the new Wii already owns another machine that can play those games. Its really strange to me that a company who normally sells consoles on the success of their first party games decided to tout irrelevant 3rd party support.

They are trying (and likely failing) to boost 3rd party interest so that it's not just a Nintendo player this time around. Like they've tried and failed every generation since the SNES. That's kind of what they get for shitting all over developers and ignoring their wishes for 10-15 years.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By onarum

I'm waiting till next E3 to decide, though what they showed did seem rather innovative, the uses for the controller screen are very interesting, but so did the Wiimote when they first announced it so....

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By captain_clayman

no.  i'm done with mario and zelda over and over, i'm ESPECIALLY done if that's the piece of shit controller i'm gonna be playing it on. 
    they didnt even announce a price which probably means its gonna be expensive as hell. 

plus, the wii u (WEEEYOUUUU) is the worst name imaginable.  it seems like when nintendo makes new consoles they just add a new letter onto it. 

nes -----> snes 
    gameboy -------> gameboy color -------> gameboy advance (honestly those are the only good names, gameboy is still a good name)  
    ds ------> 3ds 
    wii ------> wii u. 

WEEEYOUUUU WEEEYOUUUU it just sounds STUPID. like if you dont put a huge emphasis on the space in between wii and u, it just sounds like weeyou.  it reminds me of that show caillou. 

P.S. sorry for the poor grammar and lack of capitalization, i'm in rabid frothing fanboy mode right now.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By IBurningStar

Dude, I'm so excited I just ate a fucking door knob! 

Seriously, though. I'm sort of indifferent.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.