Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Buying a Wii U, need some help getting audio from VGA/DVI.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Hey Duders,

As the thread title suggests, I've decided to buy a Wii U, but I need a little bit of help connecting it to my setup while also getting audio to work correctly.

My setup isn't fancy at all. I've got two monitors, each with a single VGA connection, with my main one also having a DVI connection that my PC is hooked up to, though I could use VGA for my PC if need be. The thing is, the only HDMI connections I have are the two on my video card, which I don't think is going to help me at all here, but I've read some things about HDMI passing through the PC to solve some issues, so that's why I mentioned it. My speakers are currently connected straight to the PC with the regular jack, but I've got all the stuff necessary to hook them up through analog RCA cables without issue.

In the research I've done, I know that there are plenty of HDMI to VGA/DVI converters out there, but I've also seen a lot of people having trouble getting audio to come out of those, especially when connected specifically to the Wii U. Some solutions I've seen involve HDMI splitters alongside converters, which is something I could definitely do, but I don't want to buy a bunch of equipment from reading a random forum post from Google when it might not work right, or if there might be an easier way with my specific setup.

And yes, I do realize that buying an HDTV is the easiest solution, but also the most expensive. I might be willing to buy a new monitor with HDMI, but I don't think that would easily solve the audio issue, though I really have no idea.

Thanks in advance for both reading this and any advice that could be given. If all else fails, my backup plan is to just get a PS4, which people have had no problems using some of those converters for.

Peace!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike

I think I remember reading that there was an update at some point late last year that allowed the Wii U to output audio from the A/V port while using video from HDMI. That means you'll need both the Wii U / Wii A/V adapter to run analog audio, and also an HDMI to DVI adapter for video. Stay away from HDMI to VGA, the digital to analog conversion can introduce enough latency to make games unplayable.

The two HDMI ports on your PC are most likely both outputs and aren't going to function as an HDMI passthrough unless you have a specialized capture card.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@mb: Sweet, you're right. I didn't even know the Wii U had a separate port besides HDMI, and knowing that, I was able to verify what you said. An update allows it to output video through HDMI and audio through the AV Multi-Out. That makes it so much easier, and all that info was on Nintendo's own website - so I know I'm good to go.

Also, thanks for steering me away from HDMI to VGA. I would have gone that route simply because my PC is already hooked up to the DVI port, never even considering something like latency to be an issue. That would have been a pain in the ass to find out after hooking it all up.

Thanks!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.