Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Here's Everything Nintendo Would Tell Me About Wii U

• 138 results
    patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek
    Battle Mii was just one of several conceptual demos shown at E3. It may not become a game.
    Battle Mii was just one of several conceptual demos shown at E3. It may not become a game.

Getting specifics about Nintendo's new console was like extracting teeth at E3. The company showed what it showed and had little interest in committing to more.

It didn't help the only person I was able to talk about the device was the head of Nintendo's public relations department.

Believe me, I'd requested a chance to speak with Reggie Fils-Aime or Satoru Iwata. They were busy, I was told. I don't doubt that.

In any other case, I wouldn't spend time at E3 speaking with a public relations person, but as Wii U was the biggest thing at E3, I wanted to extract as much information for you as I possibly could.

What follows is an edited conversation with Mark Franklin, where I tried to address concerns and questions about Wii U. I came away with plenty of vagueness, but some answers, too.

Are developers required to implement the screen transfer feature into every game?

Franklin: We're not making any prerequisites to any of the developers to say "you have to do this, you have to do that." What we're showing at this year's show is just the possibilities. That's just an example. Certainly, that's a possibility.

How easy is it for a developer to implement the screen transfer feature, if they choose to?

Franklin: I'm not going to get into the technical side, but it's certainly up to the developers to make that choices. We've shown what's possible and now it's up to the developers to come up with content.

What's the range of the Wii U controller? Can you take it out of the room?

== TEASER ==

Franklin: We're not talking about range, but the vision is that the controller resides in the living room. That's where the central entertainment is going to be anyway. You've got your TV and you've got your new controller. And just imagine the Chase Mii experience, where you've got four buddies on your Wii remotes and one guy on your new controller, but you're all gathered in the same room having that experience--two different experiences but sharing in the experience. That's the vision.

No Caption Provided

Can you have multiple Wii U controllers connected to the same console?

Franklin: At this year's E3, we're just showing this one experience and not really talking beyond that, which is just the one controller, plus up to four Wii remotes. We are showing specific experiences along those lines--you've got Chase Mii, Battle Mii. They all provide a different scenario. We've got a true, social multiplayer experience versus a single-player experience versus a multiplayer experience but two people getting two very different experiences in Battle Mii.

Again, showing off the possibilities of what the system can do, what the new controller can do, and seeing what developers can come up with.

Does the Wii U controller have its own specific name?

Franklin: Right now, we're just calling it the new controller. Don't have another name for it yet.

What about backwards compatibility with Wii? GameCube?

Franklin: Yes, backwards compatible. Just one generation. You can have Wii software and Wii devices, so your Wii Remotes, Wii Remote Plus, Classic Controllers. [...] No Wavebird. [laughs]

Could you theoretically control the Wii U interface with just a Wii Remote?

Franklin: It's so early in the process right now that, again, the thing that we're showing right now is having the new controller, the wireless new controller interface with the system, and having the Wii Remote interface with the sensor bar. There's also a sensor bar on the new controller, so your Wii remotes could read off of that.

All of the demos shown at E3 featured only on Wii U controller. Will it support more? Unknown.
    All of the demos shown at E3 featured only on Wii U controller. Will it support more? Unknown.

How would that work? Do you put the Wii U next to the TV?

Franklin: We haven't talked about any examples, but the capability is there, so that the Wii Remotes could read off of your new controller. What that means [is] there could maybe be a game that is just on that new controller, but we haven't discussed anything like that yet.

How long have third-parties know about the hardware?

Franklin: We don't talk about timing like that, but we did announce the system earlier than E3, and so development kits have been out there to all the major developers.

How does the 3DS interact with the Wii U?

Franklin: Mr. Iwata announced on stage something I'm really excited about. Mr. Sakurai [is] one, making a new Smash Bros. game and two, there's going to be cross-platform compatibility between the Nintendo 3DS and the new system. [...] There's no more details other than that, but the prospect of being able to have some experiences shared on two different devices with the same game is exciting. Smash is a huge game, so you can imagine what kind of possibilities could come up with having that on Nintendo 3DS and the new controller.

Have you had any conversations with Epic Games about Unreal Engine 3?

Franklin: Nothing to announce on that. We're not really talking about the technical specifications or the behind-the-scenes engines that are running the system or anything like that. What we want to focus on, and what consumers have continued to look at, especially with Nintendo products, is they want to see what the experience is like.

Is this the last we hear about the system until next E3?

Franklin: It's hard to say right now. We just announced it, so that's what we're focused on it. We want to make sure that people have time on the system, that they get a chance to experience the unique opportunity that the system offers, so that's what we're focused on right now. In terms of next steps, that'll come. We'll be figuring that out in the weeks and months ahead.

The Super Mario Bros. Mii game shown was little more than a polished up Super Maro Bros. Wii.
    The Super Mario Bros. Mii game shown was little more than a polished up Super Maro Bros. Wii.

What about the disc format?

Franklin: It's going to be a high-density disc that's a proprietary format. It'll be a high-density disc format, but we don't have anything to share besides that.

And storage?

Franklin: We'll have SD cards, but we'll also have USB slots.

You'll be able to use a hard drive at personal storage?

Franklin: Yeah, theoretically.

If a developer wanted to, could they just leverage the Wii remotes and not the Wii U controller?

Franklin: It's going to be up to the developers to make those kinds of decisions. There's tons of possibilities. It's going to be up to them to figure out what those possibilities are going to be.

Should we expect an online experience on par with Xbox Live and PlayStation Network?

Franklin: We see Wii U as a flexible system. It's not a one-size-fits-fall. It's not a centralized system. What John [Riccitiello, Electronic Arts] was describing [at the press conference] was his vision. We'll work with third-parties to understand what the opportunities are, and I think what's going to drive maybe the best examples are individual approaches, the best of class individual approaches both from third-party and from Nintendo. John was just referring to what he thought might happen.

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By patrickklepek

Getting specifics about Nintendo's new console was like extracting teeth at E3. The company showed what it showed and had little interest in committing to more.

It didn't help the only person I was able to talk about the device was the head of Nintendo's public relations department.

Believe me, I'd requested a chance to speak with Reggie Fils-Aime or Satoru Iwata. They were busy, I was told. I don't doubt that.

In any other case, I wouldn't spend time at E3 speaking with a public relations person, but as Wii U was the biggest thing at E3, I wanted to extract as much information for you as I possibly could.

What follows is an edited conversation with Mark Franklin, where I tried to address concerns and questions about Wii U. I came away with plenty of vagueness, but some answers, too.

Are developers required to implement the screen transfer feature into every game?

Franklin: We're not making any prerequisites to any of the developers to say "you have to do this, you have to do that." What we're showing at this year's show is just the possibilities. That's just an example. Certainly, that's a possibility.

How easy is it for a developer to implement the screen transfer feature, if they choose to?

Franklin: I'm not going to get into the technical side, but it's certainly up to the developers to make that choices. We've shown what's possible and now it's up to the developers to come up with content.

What's the range of the Wii U controller? Can you take it out of the room?

== TEASER ==

Franklin: We're not talking about range, but the vision is that the controller resides in the living room. That's where the central entertainment is going to be anyway. You've got your TV and you've got your new controller. And just imagine the Chase Mii experience, where you've got four buddies on your Wii remotes and one guy on your new controller, but you're all gathered in the same room having that experience--two different experiences but sharing in the experience. That's the vision.

No Caption Provided

Franklin: At this year's E3, we're just showing this one experience and not really talking beyond that, which is just the one controller, plus up to four Wii remotes. We are showing specific experiences along those lines--you've got Chase Mii, Battle Mii. They all provide a different scenario. We've got a true, social multiplayer experience versus a single-player experience versus a multiplayer experience but two people getting two very different experiences in Battle Mii.

Again, showing off the possibilities of what the system can do, what the new controller can do, and seeing what developers can come up with.

Does the Wii U controller have its own specific name?

Franklin: Right now, we're just calling it the new controller. Don't have another name for it yet.

What about backwards compatibility with Wii? GameCube?

Franklin: Yes, backwards compatible. Just one generation. You can have Wii software and Wii devices, so your Wii Remotes, Wii Remote Plus, Classic Controllers. [...] No Wavebird. [laughs]

Could you theoretically control the Wii U interface with just a Wii Remote?

Franklin: It's so early in the process right now that, again, the thing that we're showing right now is having the new controller, the wireless new controller interface with the system, and having the Wii Remote interface with the sensor bar. There's also a sensor bar on the new controller, so your Wii remotes could read off of that.

How would that work? Do you put the Wii U next to the TV?

Franklin: We haven't talked about any examples, but the capability is there, so that the Wii Remotes could read off of your new controller. What that means [is] there could maybe be a game that is just on that new controller, but we haven't discussed anything like that yet.

How long have third-parties know about the hardware?

Franklin: We don't talk about timing like that, but we did announce the system earlier than E3, and so development kits have been out there to all the major developers.

How does the 3DS interact with the Wii U?

Franklin: Mr. Iwata announced on stage something I'm really excited about. Mr. Sakurai [is] one, making a new Smash Bros. game and two, there's going to be cross-platform compatibility between the Nintendo 3DS and the new system. [...] There's no more details other than that, but the prospect of being able to have some experiences shared on two different devices with the same game is exciting. Smash is a huge game, so you can imagine what kind of possibilities could come up with having that on Nintendo 3DS and the new controller.

Have you had any conversations with Epic Games about Unreal Engine 3?

Franklin: Nothing to announce on that. We're not really talking about the technical specifications or the behind-the-scenes engines that are running the system or anything like that. What we want to focus on, and what consumers have continued to look at, especially with Nintendo products, is they want to see what the experience is like.

Is this the last we hear about the system until next E3?

Franklin: It's hard to say right now. We just announced it, so that's what we're focused on it. We want to make sure that people have time on the system, that they get a chance to experience the unique opportunity that the system offers, so that's what we're focused on right now. In terms of next steps, that'll come. We'll be figuring that out in the weeks and months ahead.

What about the disc format?

Franklin: It's going to be a high-density disc that's a proprietary format. It'll be a high-density disc format, but we don't have anything to share besides that.

And storage?

Franklin: We'll have SD cards, but we'll also have USB slots.

You'll be able to use a hard drive at personal storage?

Franklin: Yeah, theoretically.

If a developer wanted to, could they just leverage the Wii remotes and not the Wii U controller?

Franklin: It's going to be up to the developers to make those kinds of decisions. There's tons of possibilities. It's going to be up to them to figure out what those possibilities are going to be.

Should we expect an online experience on par with Xbox Live and PlayStation Network?

Franklin: We see Wii U as a flexible system. It's not a one-size-fits-fall. It's not a centralized system. What John [Riccitiello, Electronic Arts] was describing [at the press conference] was his vision. We'll work with third-parties to understand what the opportunities are, and I think what's going to drive maybe the best examples are individual approaches, the best of class individual approaches both from third-party and from Nintendo. John was just referring to what he thought might happen.

gunharp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By gunharp

Wow, first attempt at being first and I am. Wicked!

enune77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By enune77

This is all well and good but whats the price for this magical piece of kit?

Gre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Gre

Kudos to Martin Franklin for not actually answering any of the questions.  That's some good public relations work.

superjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By superjoe

@enune77 said:

They have nothing to say about that at this time.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By tourgen

wow, pretty evasive answers to most of the questions. That or the thing is just some plastic mockups and the real work hasnt really started?

CarpetRemnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CarpetRemnant

Hmmm, seems like that must have been a frustrating interview. I won't be sold on it until they answer some of those questions properly, particularly concerning the online service. They really need to sort their online business out this generation or they're really going to get left behind.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By FreakAche

I'm a bit bummed out to specifically hear the words, "No Wavebird". For the first time since Melee I'm going to have to relearn how to play Smash Bros.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By august

We're not talking about that right now.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By ajamafalous

I didn't know somebody could use 'experience' so many times.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By AuthenticM

Jesus Christ, talk about media training.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By BaneFireLord

"We're not talking about that just yet"...the News Story!!!

Avatar image for speaker4thedead
    Speaker4TheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Speaker4TheDead

lots of typos. Seems very interesting but I won't get it unless it gets stellar hands-on reports and justifiably cool games.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Doctorchimp

Patrick did you chuckle when the PR man told you to imagine playing Chase Mii with your buddies in the living room?

JTHomeslice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#16  Edited By JTHomeslice

@enune77 said:

This is still a year off. Did you honestly expect them to announce price?

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By paulunga

That sure is the head of Nintendo's public relations department. Jesus.

MindOST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MindOST
    @tourgen said:

wow, pretty evasive answers to most of the questions. That or the thing is just some plastic mockups and the real work hasnt really started?

Pretty much everything about what they showed at E3 screams "prototype" to me. I'm not sure even Nintendo have nailed down the exact specs of the machine yet.
    Cold_Wolven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Cold_Wolven

How vague could that interview get but one interesting note is potential hard drives and whether we can use external like say a 2 terabyte.

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Renahzor

This is actually kind of hilarious.  The more bullshit I read about "The experience" the less I give 2 shits what this actually turns out to be.  Im now 100% more interested to see if the Vita becomes a PS3 controller, or if MS/Sony jump on board with the tablet/controller idea and make something I might actually care about.  How do you make half your fans not give a shit about what you're making?  We're not discussing that at this time.  

valiantgoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By valiantgoat

Should have asked him if Nintendo was looking forward to putting effort into getting ports of games on the 360 and PS3 and then being left out come the rest of the next gen systems. Currently with all the vagueness surrounding the Wii U it looks like I'll be passing on another Nintendo home console.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#22  Edited By ImperiousRix

Hrrrm, I understand they can't talk about a lot of stuff and that they are "trained", but this guy seemed a tad dickish. 

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#23  Edited By jacksukeru

I hope they end up enabling the use of more than one controller for this thing.

...I guess.

I also hope it ends up with with some decent range so I can at least bring it into, say a nearby bathroom (Mario in the bath, Yeeaah!)

No Caption Provided
    rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#26  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

I HAS THE HDS!

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#27  Edited By LegalBagel

There's some media relations jujitsu right there. You'd almost have been better off just asking for a list of questions they're authorized to answer and going from there.

rtroock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By rtroock

@tourgen: they have general ideas on the hardware up on the Nintendo site, but it is pretty vague (mostly just what brand). I think they are waiting right up until manufacturing so they can get the "best value" (highest power, lowest price).

I really think Nintendo is aiming this console at Families who already own Wii's, but also have kids who might want "hardcore" games. You can upgrade to the WiiU, keep your Wiimotes, and have family games + hardcore games.

onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#29  Edited By onan

Patrick, you've got the best typos.

Frankin: At this year's E3, we're just showing this one experience and not really talking beyond that, which is just the one controller, plus up to one Wii remote. We are showing specific experiences along those lines (their promo photos beg to differ)

How long third-parties know about the hardware?

They say they know it Long time (?)

soupbones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By soupbones

"We're not talking about range, but the vision is that the controller resides in the living room."

Sounds like the controller can't be out of the room that contains the console... which makes the feature of continuing my game elsewhere kind of pointless...

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By nintendoeats

AAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

This is one of the many reasons that I switched out of my journalism majour.

elcalavera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By elcalavera

Only one 'new controller' per system really sucks.

chickdigger802

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33  Edited By chickdigger802

Don't blame the PR guy, even other people have no real clue what's going on inside this 'utopian box'.

http://kotaku.com/5811470/ubisoft-struggles-to-explain-how-powerful-the-wii-u-is

Cynic04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Cynic04
    There's also a sensor bar on the new controller, so your Wii remotes could read off of that.

I'm pretty sure the Golf example they showed in the stage presentation was using this feature, where the Wii U is on the ground showing the ball and it's sensor tracks the golf swing of the Wii-mote.

Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Zimbo

Surely if Batman:Arkham City is going to be on the Wii U there must be some form of Unreal Engine in development for the Wii U. I can't see Rocksteady making a completely new engine.

Also, PR Man sure knows how to avoid questions.

Joru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Joru

Some of the info that Patrick was inquiring about is still under wraps and they have been pretty clear about it so I wouldn't blame the PR guy really. His answer to the first question was weird though... the sentences seem disconnected somehow.

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By Rayeth

Here is the TL;DR summary:

Here's Everything Nintendo Would Tell Me About Wii U

Not much.

Piranesi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By Piranesi

PR ... short for prick.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I can imagine the job description of a Nintendo PR representative being pretty much "Must be able to rephrase 'we're not talking about that now' as many times as required".

Surkov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Surkov

Thank you Patrick for this interview. It answered many of my questions.   

Also, all of response for the questions or answered by a guy named Frankin, I think these should all be Franklin.  

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By patrickklepek

I blame my cold.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

Nintendo is trying very very hard to make this thing sound completely unappealing.

"We're not talking about engines. Nintendo consumers want the experience"

Fuck you, if you want your Nintendo customers back you can have them. If you want to entice real gamers that have been asking more of you, answer questions like that. Even if you don't know, say that. Don't act like talking about specs or engines are too intelligent. That's catering to the Wii crowd that bought a whopping one game per system.

enune77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By enune77

@JTHomeslice: I really didn't follow CES. Was just curious.

umdesch4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By umdesch4

No one man should have all that PR.

SimonM7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SimonM7

The dodging that's going on in interviews about this thing you could swear they're politicians trying to ham fistedly cover up an radioactive waste spill.

There are so many fucked up things about this console that they're vaguely and half-assedly trying to sweep under the carpet. There are practical issues with it that would be leviated - not punctuated - if they were just up front about answering inquiries about them.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Vexxan

So basically he didn't tell us much now did he.

Nomin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47  Edited By Nomin

Good job Franklin!

Beb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Beb

@Binarynova said:

"[...] no Wavebird. [laughs]" Wow. He laughed? Really? I'm glad he answered it though... it helps me answer my own question: "Will I be buying one?" No. [laughs] But seriously I was kind of hoping that they would announce a normal controller (with actual thumb-sticks and no screen) in the future... but his answer pretty much sums it up for me.

They have one. It's called the Classic Controller for the Wii and it has existed for a long time.

MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By MisterMouse

gosh I feel like they should have waited another year when more things about the console are solidified... all of this just seems pointless... 

"oh we are not talking about right now"

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By phish09

That was a whole lot of PR speak.  At least you tried Patrick.  Kudos.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.