Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

No 'centralized' online system for Wii U

coolwhip83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By coolwhip83
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-wii-u/716199 

At 1:55 he talks about online. 
    What do you giantbombers make of this? From what I understand of this interview every 3rd party has their own little online system with seperate accounts? Is that what it will be? If that's the case then you can already write off anyone that currently uses Xbox Live or PSN.
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By crusader8463

Doesn't surprise me.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ryanwho

So like Ubisoft on PC or Blizzard on PC. Or a Steam game or a GFW game. But Im sure this is the worst thing ever to some whiny bitch who pirates everything. I wonder what this means for small dev online games who aren't attached to EA or Activision or some party that cant create its own framework.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By Claude

I don't play online multiplayer games very often, so it's no big deal for me.

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By HadesTimes

Not surprising at all, this IS Nintendo after all.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Pinworm45
    @ryanwho said:
    But Im sure this is the worst thing ever to some whiny bitch who pirates everything.
    Not sure what you're trying to say since this would make it easier to play games online if anything. 

Anyway, yeah. A console in 2012 lacking friendslists and a central account, requiring you to put in CDkeys and make new accounts with almost every new game. Alright.
    Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By LordXavierBritish

It will be peer to peer multiplayer just like every other console, there just won't be any dedicated servers or stat tracking tied to a single account name.

That is what it sounds like anyway.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By MysteriousBob

Hahahaha, typical Nintendo. 

Still haven't even reached 2005.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ryanwho
    @Pinworm45 said:
    @ryanwho said:
    But Im sure this is the worst thing ever to some whiny bitch who pirates everything.
    Not sure what you're trying to say since this would make it easier to play games online if anything.  Anyway, yeah. A console in 2012 lacking friendslists and a central account, requiring you to put in CDkeys and make new accounts with almost every new game. Alright.
    Almost every new game? Or you've put it in first each big publisher once and never again? That sounds like a lot of work just to allow publishers the freedom to create their own framework. I might have to make 7 whole accounts! And that could take minutes! 
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Slaker117
    @ryanwho said:

@Pinworm45 said:

@ryanwho said:
    Not sure what you're trying to say since this would make it easier to play games online if anything.  Anyway, yeah. A console in 2012 lacking friendslists and a central account, requiring you to put in CDkeys and make new accounts with almost every new game. Alright.
    Almost every new game? Or you've put it in first each big publisher once and never again? That sounds like a lot of work just to allow publishers the freedom to create their own framework. I might have to make 7 whole accounts! And that could take minutes! 
    If they lack a centralized account with a friends list that's a big mistake. If you have to log into an account based on publisher and can't see all your online friends at the same time because of that, it's going to be a mess.
    craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By craigbo180
    @ryanwho: You need to chill out bro.
    mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mnzy

So basically like PC games that are not on Steam. That sucks.

coolwhip83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By coolwhip83

What bugs me the  most is that Nintendo is so vague on everything. They are launching the Wii U into the world, isn't a very part of marketing and communication that people understand wth you are doing?

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By FireBurger

@coolwhip83 said:

What bugs me the most is that Nintendo is so vague on everything. They are launching the Wii U into the world, isn't a very part of marketing and communication that people understand wth you are doing?

It isn't coming out until late 2012, most likely. They will definitely present it more thoroughly in the next year and half. Expect the next E3 to give make everything clearer.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Kjellm87

@coolwhip83 said:

What bugs me the most is that Nintendo is so vague on everything. They are launching the Wii U into the world, isn't a very part of marketing and communication that people understand wth you are doing?

I guess there is a few more decisions to be made on the Wii U, otherwise they would've showed more than the controller.

As far the controller go, it has been positive feedback, so I'm excited.

coolwhip83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By coolwhip83
    @FireBurger: Well you know the saying, you only have one shot at a first impression. People will hear that the online is bad from all kinds of sources, even if it's not true, it will be hard to get that out of peoples minds again. Didn't Nintendo recently hire some marketing bigshot? I hope he wasn't involved in this E3 yet.
    FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By FireBurger

@coolwhip83 said:

@FireBurger: Well you know the saying, you only have one shot at a first impression. People will hear that the online is bad from all kinds of sources, even if it's not true, it will be hard to get that out of peoples minds again. Didn't Nintendo recently hire some marketing bigshot? I hope he wasn't involved in this E3 yet.

I'm not defending them. I think they really screwed up their presentation and a blew great opportunity to bring back a lot of the hardcore by giving some actual info on its power and infrastructure.

I'm just saying, they will, obviously, make things clearer with time. Plus, if the Wii is any indication, first impressions will eventually be forgotten and the system will speak for itself.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Pinworm45
    @ryanwho said:
    @Pinworm45 said:
    @ryanwho said:
    I know. It's pretty ridiculous for a console released in 2012 (or later) when the system has already been perfected many, many years ago. 

It's especially disappointing that putting control in the hands of publishers is going to result in the vast majority of online systems being really, really bad. I completely agree.
    smcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By smcn

@coolwhip83 said:

What do you giantbombers make of this?

I really don't give a shit. If Wii U's online is crap but has good single-player games I'll still buy one, just like I bought a Wii for Metroid Prime 3. Console wars are for children who can only afford one system.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#20  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

I for one like the idea of non-centralized online multi-player. That's in part what makes PC games live forever, if there's no Nintendo Network that Nintendo can shut down once they grow bored with the system, you'll probably be able to find alternate master servers, third party patches and such for many of the games.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ryanwho
    @fisk0 said:

I for one like the idea of non-centralized online multi-player. That's in part what makes PC games live forever, if there's no Nintendo Network that Nintendo can shut down once they grow bored with the system, you'll probably be able to find alternate master servers, third party patches and such for many of the games.

PC's online is archaic, though. Being able to do anything is archaic. The future is being funneled into adspaces with clunky interfaces where I can share my gamerscore with friends I'd never be able to track down without the central hub. Never ever.
    Nitrocore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Nitrocore

I prefered the good old days when a console didn't need to have internet access what so ever, in other words as long as the games a good I can live with it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#23  Edited By Hailinel

HEY GUYS I HAVE A GREAT IDEA LET'S CRITICIZE SOMETHING WE BARELY KNOW SHIT ABOUT.

leebmx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#24  Edited By leebmx
    @Hailinel said:

HEY GUYS I HAVE A GREAT IDEA LET'S CRITICIZE SOMETHING WE BARELY KNOW SHIT ABOUT.

This seems to have become a sport recently. There are some good comments amongst the uniformed drivel but they can be hard to find. 
    TheAdmin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By TheAdmin

Nintendo will not have an xbox live or psn type service, as in: friends lists, cross game chat, achievements or friend leaderboards.

This seems like a giant mistake in 2012 to not include that level of service.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Slaker117
    @fisk0: EA already shuts down their online services for 360/PS3 games regularly. They had to go out of there way to make that possible because Live and PSN are centralized, but if that isn't the standard way of doing things on the Wii U, it's not hard to imagine other major publishers doing the same.
    @ryanwho: The whole point of consoles is to provide standards that make gaming more user friendly. The PC is awesome because you can do anything and everything, but that lack of limitation costs some ease of use. It's not the end of the world if Nintendo chooses to forsake online standardization, but they risk feeling old if they don't include expected features. Sure, I could get a hold of my friends though other means, but the ability to do that quickly and reliability at the touch of a button, regardless of what they are doing online, and then invite them directly to my game using a simple interface is great. I don't know why you wouldn't want that.

The details are vague and there is still plenty of time to change things, so we don't really know what Nintendo is actually going to end up doing, but the idea that there might not be a centralized online hub for the Wii U seems dumb. It shouldn't inspire hate, and it's no reason to dismiss the system outright, but I honestly don't understand the arguments being made in support of that move.
    wolf_blitzer85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#27  Edited By wolf_blitzer85

@Hailinel said:

But it's so cool and edgy! It is getting tired though.

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By LegalBagel

My first thought in looking at the "can only use one controller" bit was that they better learn how to use the god damn internet if they want to be more than first party games only. This does not bode well. Looking more and more like it's Wii U for some Nintendo games at best and Sony/Microsoft for everything else. Which isn't terrible necessarily, but it's disappointing.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Pinworm45
    @Hailinel said:

So what are you saying? We aren't allowed to talk about the details we do know? We shouldn't try and give feedback early in the development of something to try and shape in a way we perceive will be better? 

We shouldn't discuss clearly controversial gaming news in a gaming forum?
    Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Dany

This is dumb. Nintendo is launching a new system that is meant to compete with 6 year old hardware yet their online answer is piss poor. Let the third parties handle the control over it, what about cross game chat, or messaging, friends lists? Just more baffling for the consumer

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Hailinel

@Pinworm45 said:

@Hailinel said:

So what are you saying? We aren't allowed to talk about the details we do know? We shouldn't try and give feedback early in the development of something to try and shape in a way we perceive will be better? We shouldn't discuss clearly controversial gaming news in a gaming forum?

We hardly "know" anything about the online structure beyond a few vague statements that are impossible for them to properly illustrate when the online structure isn't even close to being finished yet and wasn't their main topic of discussion.

What do we know? Friend codes will no longer be required, and that the online system is apparently not centralized. What that actually means? Who the fuck knows? I sure don't. I'm betting you don't either. People need to stop pretending that they can see every flaw in Nintendo's strategy when we only have a couple of pieces to this thousand-piece puzzle.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Pinworm45
    @Hailinel said:

@Pinworm45 said:

@Hailinel said:

So what are you saying? We aren't allowed to talk about the details we do know? We shouldn't try and give feedback early in the development of something to try and shape in a way we perceive will be better? We shouldn't discuss clearly controversial gaming news in a gaming forum?

We hardly "know" anything about the online structure beyond a few vague statements that are impossible for them to properly illustrate when the online structure isn't even close to being finished yet and wasn't their main topic of discussion.

What do we know? Friend codes will no longer be required, and that the online system is apparently not centralized. What that actually means? Who the fuck knows? I sure don't. I'm betting you don't either. People need to stop pretending that they can see every flaw in Nintendo's strategy when we only have a couple of pieces to this thousand-piece puzzle.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/speculation
    Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Slaker117

Qualified, reasoned criticism = cynical cunt. Got it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Hailinel

@Pinworm45 said:

@Hailinel said:

@Pinworm45 said:

@Hailinel said:

Intelligent speculation is a bit more than jumping to conclusions and making uneducated assumptions.

coolwhip83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By coolwhip83
    @Hailinel said:

@Pinworm45 said:

@Hailinel said:

@Pinworm45 said:

@Hailinel said:

Intelligent speculation is a bit more than jumping to conclusions and making uneducated assumptions.

Well, in my opinion it's solely Nintendo's job to stop us -potential consumers- from having to make assumptions. That's why you have huge press events like the E3. In Reggie's interview with Geoff Keighley (from GT), Reggie promised to share the details on Nintendo's online plan during the E3. Well I have missed it.
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Pinworm45
    @Hailinel said:

@Pinworm45 said:

@Hailinel said:

@Pinworm45 said:

@Hailinel said:

Why don't you quote said jumped to conclusions and uneducated assumptions and offer your opinion on why they might be wrong instead of saying what I originally quoted, which looks like it applies to everyone who says anything remotely negative about what we've learned, regardless of how educated or reasoned their opinion may or may not be? 

Or just stay away from speculation if you don't like it? This is a video game website, and one of the most popular video game companies just released a bit of info on a new console that's shrouded with mystery, and so far, controversy. Makes sense to me that people are speculating and forming opinions and even making assumptions. What else are we gunna do? Sit around going YEAH WiiU IS A THING GUYS. YEP. STILL A THING. until it releases?
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Hailinel

@coolwhip83: I don't recall that interview you cite, but it's not like Nintendo can discuss specifics that don't yet exist.

@Pinworm45: So you'd rather lather yourself into a frenzy over speculations based on information so base that you could get pissed over a concept that might turn out to be wholly inaccurate?

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Pinworm45
    @Hailinel said:

@Pinworm45: So you'd rather lather yourself into a frenzy over speculations based on information so base that you could get pissed over a concept that might turn out to be wholly inaccurate?

Are the only two options utter silence or being ravenous? 

I just don't have a problem with speculating new details about a new console on a video game forum. 

And even if we turn out to be wrong.. so what? What's wrong with that? It definitely sounds better than not talking about the console out of some weird fear that they might change their mind or we might be wrong or something. Also, on the off chance Nintendo is listening to any feedback, I'd like there to be.. feedback. 
    coolwhip83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By coolwhip83
    AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By AndrewGaspar

I'm all for giving developers freedom, but it's nice being able to get on my PS3, see who's online, and then join other people if they're playing a game I like. If you don't have any sort of centralized system for online, you can't do that.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Hailinel

@Pinworm45 said:

@Hailinel said:

Are the only two options utter silence or being ravenous? I just don't have a problem with speculating new details about a new console on a video game forum. And even if we turn out to be wrong.. so what? What's wrong with that? It definitely sounds better than not talking about the console out of some weird fear that they might change their mind or we might be wrong or something. Also, on the off chance Nintendo is listening to any feedback, I'd like there to be.. feedback.

Ugh. Having read through this thread again, it's apparent that I've been reading too many threads with a tone that truly is more akin to ZOMG WTF NINTENDO HOW DARE YOU?! Sorry for jumping on you. There's nothing wrong with speculation being wrong, but it's better to be reasoned in that speculation than to be a conclusion-jumping asshat like people in other threads have.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By fattony12000
    I'll just leave this here...
    I'll just leave this here...
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Why are people ready to knock Nintendo for a system that is more then a year off?  I will save my opinion when it gets closer to the release date or I get my hands on a Wii U.  The only valid complaints should be that Wii U is a retarded name.  I am by no means a Nintendo fanboy, hell my Wii has been collecting dust since I beat Donkey Kong Country, but what is with the Wii U bashing based purely on speculation and representatives who may not know what they are talking about ? 

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#44  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

Boooooooo.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Slaker117
    @bartok said:
    Why are people ready to knock Nintendo for a system that is more then a year off?  I will save my opinion when it gets closer to the release date or I get my hands on a Wii U.  The only valid complaints should be that Wii U is a retarded name.  I am by no means a Nintendo fanboy, hell my Wii has been collecting dust since I beat Donkey Kong Country, but what is with the Wii U bashing based purely on speculation and representatives who may not know what they are talking about ? 
    This conversion has already played out in this very thread.
    Avatar image for solarisdeschain
    solarisdeschain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By solarisdeschain
    @bartok said:
    Because it's not cool to like Nintendo and hasn't been since 1990. So obviously, when faced with nothing more than a few vague statements about a product that's at least a year away, the general strategy is to fill in the holes with every worst assumption that can be mustered then bitching and pretending it's "speculation" and "reasoned criticism" instead of, you know, just waiting.
    zonikjj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By zonikjj

Aw man, so this probably means there are no achievements to track across each game. Achievements make me happy!

Screw friend codes too. I just mostly want an easy way to track my friends with a Wii U a la XBL and PSN (pref more like XBL).

thenexus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#48  Edited By thenexus
    @bartok said:
    2012 you will see the next Xbox at the very least and pretty much dead cert the hardware will be a magnitude better, have a lot more media support, Will clearly have better online because the 360 has a better online experience then wii U will even have (a given because xbox live is very well polished, not matched) and may be out by that year out.  Wii U could instantly be a dated machine. All the things were hearing it wont do and what Nintendo have said it wont do seem a step back.
    Love Nintendo, Bar the recent mobile app rise no one can touch them for handheld gaming and I do applaud them for the Wii and motion gaming and while the console  sold - Games of any worth are few and far between.

I bet if you did a study on the sales of the WII, 360 and PS3 and also of of those sales how often people played them and then how many are being sold second hand in those same regions you will find the Wii the bottom of the pile.
    I know a lot of people with a Wii, but I know all of them come out at parties and holidays and not much else.

Online play is important now so not to have greater improvements then Nintendo have now in 2012 seems really crazy for me.
    Yep Nintendo did not get online play, Sony did not at first. Seems to be a Japanese thing.
    Sony though have made an effort to sort it out and have improved greatly. Nintendo just not seem to quite get it STILL.
    For them to seemingly not get it for 2012 seems crazy. Either Nintendo are blind death and dumb to the web or they can not afford the infrastructure for such a service.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.