Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Rumour: EA & Valve Wooing Nintendo With Online Distribution

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Contro

I hope Valve's Steam wins out, if Origin gains exclusivity on WiiU it would be a terrible move...

Via NeoGaf:

Exclusive: EA Origin to be a key element of Nintendo’s online strategy?

Quote:

We received a tip from an EA intern with some very interesting information pertaining to the Wii U’s online system. Our source, who wishes to remain anonymous, claims that her information comes from a network engineer whom she is friends with. As with all news from anonymous sources, it’s difficult to determine its authenticity. But what we received sounds plausible and even explains Peter Moore’s relentless excitement for the Wii U.

It’s no secret that EA are helping Nintendo develop the Wii U’s online service. It will allegedly offer voice- and video-chatting support, leaderboards, and detailed friend lists that tell you who’s online and what they’re playing. The service aims to offer greater flexibility to publishers than Xbox Live, and EA . From our source:

Quote:
    Many publishers are happy with Xbox Live’s features, but they aren’t happy with how strict Microsoft’s guidelines are. Nintendo went with an open flexible approach with online because when Nintendo asked developers/publishers what they wanted in an online service, that was the number one thing they asked for.

But interestingly, EA are supposedly in talks with Nintendo to try and make Origin, their digital games distribution platform, a key element of Nintendo’s online strategy, too. EA would have the chance to bring Origin to the console space and win many new users while Nintendo see it “as an opportunity to rebuild relationships with Western gamers because they feel that only a massive western company such as EA nderstands what is needed to make an online service attractive to western gamers.”

According to our source, EA isn’t the only company looking into bringing its digital distribution platform to the Wii U – Valve, too, are interested in getting Steam onto it. But EA are “aggressively persuading Nintendo to go Origins exclusive with Wii U’s online so they can gain a competitive advantage over Steam.”

Our informant doesn’t know how Origin on the Wii U will differ from Origin on the PC, if at all. But if these talks about making it a fundamental part of the Wii U are really happening, it’s no surprise that Peter Moore is one of the most enthused Wii U developers out there.

http://wiiugo.com/exclusive-ea-origi...line-strategy/

Forbes Interview with Reggie Fils-Aime

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidewalt/2011/07/05/nintendo-reggie-fils-aime-wii-u/

Your online services are very different than what your competitors offer. Isn’t something missing, that you can’t offer the sort of experience I can get on Xbox Live?

I don’t think it is an issue for us, and here’s why. We’ve seen what our competitors have done, and we’ve acknowledged that we need to do more online, starting with the launch of our eShop on Nintendo 3DS, and we’re going to continue to build our online capability.For Wii U, we’re going to take that one step further, and what we’re doing is creating a much more flexible system that will allow the best approaches by independent publishers to come to bear. So instead of a situation where a publisher has their own network and wants that to be the predominant platform, and having arguments with platform holders, we’re going to welcome that. We’re going to welcome that from the best and the brightest of the third party publishers.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By jakob187

Something from NeoGAF...on a website that I've never heard of...getting a rumor this big?

I'm not clicking that link, as I'm not going to feed clicks.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Contro

@jakob187 said:

Something from NeoGAF...on a website that I've never heard of...getting a rumor this big?

I'm not clicking that link, as I'm not going to feed clicks.

It's well documented Nintendo have given developers free reign to develop their own online systems for the console, this however pertains to an integral system, which for the winner could potentially pull in vast profits given Nintendo's core audience numbers.

If there's no Spyware crap, I guess I could be OK with Origin, but I'd much prefer to have access to my current Steam accounts.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By iamjohn

Who the fuck is WiiUGo and why should I believe a single thing they have to say?

And yeah, Nintendo working closely with EA of all people to develop the systems's online infrastructure sounds really likely.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jakob187

@Contro: I remember hearing that Nintendo has been open to people developing online systems for it, but that platform already exists: the PC. If Nintendo wants to just reinvent the wheel with a new-fangled controller, that's good on them. However, trying to have Origin or Steam or whatever else anyone brings onto the system is just ridiculous. It means that Ubisoft would probably bring their shitty DRM onto the console...or THQ would bring their shit over.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Contro

@iAmJohn said:

Who the fuck is WiiUGo and why should I believe a single thing they have to say?

And yeah, Nintendo working closely with EA of all people to develop the systems's online infrastructure sounds really likely.

Yet again, it's well documented.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidewalt/2011/07/05/nintendo-reggie-fils-aime-wii-u/

Your online services are very different than what your competitors offer. Isn’t something missing, that you can’t offer the sort of experience I can get on Xbox Live?

I don’t think it is an issue for us, and here’s why. We’ve seen what our competitors have done, and we’ve acknowledged that we need to do more online, starting with the launch of our eShop on Nintendo 3DS, and we’re going to continue to build our online capability.For Wii U, we’re going to take that one step further, and what we’re doing is creating a much more flexible system that will allow the best approaches by independent publishers to come to bear. So instead of a situation where a publisher has their own network and wants that to be the predominant platform, and having arguments with platform holders, we’re going to welcome that. We’re going to welcome that from the best and the brightest of the third party publishers.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I cannot think of a bigger combination of "meh" in the gaming industry than the WiiU and Origin

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jakob187

@iAmJohn said:

Nintendo working closely with EA of all people to develop the systems's online infrastructure sounds really likely.

Yeah, when the company is getting third parties like WB, THQ, and others to offer their games on Origin as well, it's definitely LIKELY. It's just that anyone looking at the source will say "BIIIIIG grain of salt".

It doesn't mean that there can't be discussion about it.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Contro

@BabyChooChoo said:

I cannot think of a bigger combination of "meh" in the gaming industry than the WiiU and Origin

I doubt any such system will be like the PC service, and do what that does. Nintendo have their own rules to abide by also, so any third party that comes on board will need to abide to certain privacy laws, already in place. I doubt EA or Valve will care.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

If Origin will be on Wii U I will be very amazed.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Contro

Valve is a much better fit, it has a family like feel to it which fits well with Nintendo overall policy. I'd like to see them win. I could see them doing some very cool Nintendoey interface stuff, being big fans of the company, who have said they're eager to work on WiiU.

“We’ve always loved Nintendo. Now it’s a lot easier to look at Wii U and have it fit within that framework.”

- Gabe Newell

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Brendan

I hope Steam, I expect Origin.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Contro

EA are too greedy. I see no reason why both cannot exist on the platform, like with gamers PC's. Nintendo must surely see that it's better to give more options to users, but quelling EA's demands here may prove difficult.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By iamjohn

@jakob187 said:

When did I say there couldn't be? You sure are finding a lot of words to put in my mouth from me saying "I have never heard of this source that is saying things that sound preposterous so therefore I do not believe it."

@Contro: There's a big difference between Nintendo taking criticism to heart and being willing to work with publishers to give them the experiences they want to create (which is already hard to believe considering just how rigidly Nintendo has spent the past ten years handling online, be it in GameCube internet adapters being ridiculously expensive and hard to find (and I should know this - I have two of those damn Broadband Adapters!) or their complete unwillingness to budge from WiiWare's 40 MB cap that ultimately led to Team Meat bailing on putting Super Meat Boy out for it) and them turning things over cart blanche to an outside service like Steam or Origin. Nintendo has always been about doing things in house and their own way, why would they then pull a complete about face and get other companies into the fold, too? And really, what does any of this even mean? We're going to get the Steam/Origin UI? The friends list? The store? Will I be able to access all of the stuff I've purchased on either service on my Wii U? This all sounds like a lot of nonsense, especially to be coming out of this site no one has ever heard of with a great source like "a dude who interns for EA or something."

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By BoG
    @Brendan said:

Yeah, that's how I am. Steam is really the only worthwhile digital distribution service, but EA has the money to become relevant. I do not want that to happen.
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Doctorchimp

Sounds like bullshit.

But I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to slap Origin on their next platform and expect it to work.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By tim_the_corsair

This seems unlikely, considering Nintendo fear the internet in the same way choir boys fear Catholic priests.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MikkaQ

Origin on Wii U would be the final nail in the coffin of my disinterest for the Wii U. Those other nails being resistive touch, keeping the wii-mote and of course only one screen controller per system.

noremnants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By noremnants

The thing that has me worried is that they are talking about letting all of these publishers use their own systems for their games. How is that going to work? Will I have to have multiple different accounts for each of the publishers systems all with different UI for finding friends to play with and matchmaking? If that is the case, no thanks.

Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Contro

@iAmJohn said:

@jakob187 said:

When did I say there couldn't be? You sure are finding a lot of words to put in my mouth from me saying "I have never heard of this source that is saying things that sound preposterous so therefore I do not believe it."

@Contro: There's a big difference between Nintendo taking criticism to heart and being willing to work with publishers to give them the experiences they want to create (which is already hard to believe considering just how rigidly Nintendo has spent the past ten years handling online, be it in GameCube internet adapters being ridiculously expensive and hard to find (and I should know this - I have two of those damn Broadband Adapters!) or their complete unwillingness to budge from WiiWare's 40 MB cap that ultimately led to Team Meat bailing on putting Super Meat Boy out for it) and them turning things over cart blanche to an outside service like Steam or Origin. Nintendo has always been about doing things in house and their own way, why would they then pull a complete about face and get other companies into the fold, too? And really, what does any of this even mean? We're going to get the Steam/Origin UI? The friends list? The store? Will I be able to access all of the stuff I've purchased on either service on my Wii U? This all sounds like a lot of nonsense, especially to be coming out of this site no one has ever heard of with a great source like "a dude who interns for EA or something."

I really don't think the issues you raised will be present with WiiU, Nintendo are already showing signs of change in respect to their online strategy for 3DS, they're doing some really cool shit, stuff you don't even find on Live or PSN. Take Mario Kart 7 as a prime example, starting next month 3DS users will be able to create their own private servers, their own community page and have a selection of options a community creator can set, and you now add people to your community directly from your friends list eliminating FC's.

I think it's safe to say WiiU will have similar online features.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Brendan said:

This :(
    Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Contro

@Havox said:

The thing that has me worried is that they are talking about letting all of these publishers use their own systems for their games. How is that going to work? Will I have to have multiple different accounts for each of the publishers systems all with different UI for finding friends to play with and matchmaking? If that is the case, no thanks.

Very unlikely, Nintendo will aim to keep it as easy as possible, this is Nintendo we're talking about. They will probably use something akin to the community pages I mention above.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By WinterSnowblind

If they think the 3DS eShop is a step in the right direction for their online distribution, it doesn't give me much hope for their future. 

@Contro said:

I really don't think the issues you raised will be present with WiiU, Nintendo are already showing signs of change in respect to their online strategy for 3DS, they're doing some really cool shit, stuff you don't even find on Live or PSN. Take Mario Kart 7 as a prime example, starting next month 3DS users will be able to create their own private servers, their own community page and have a selection of options a community creator can set, and you now add people to your community directly from your friends list eliminating FC's.

You mean like every single Xbox/PC/PS3 game?
    Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Contro

@WinterSnowblind said:

If they think the 3DS eShop is a step in the right direction for their online distribution, it doesn't give me much hope for their future.

@Contro said:

You mean like every single Xbox/PC/PS3 game?

The finalised version of the eShop launches this month, what we have now is a filler service.

Please be more specific, what are you asking me?

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By KingBroly

I don't think it's a finalized version, just a more up-to-date one. I think the next logical step is an account system that isn't system-based. It's a big reason why they don't get a good chunk of that sweet, sweet DD money.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I don't think EA want non EA games on Origin. They want it to be an EA exclusive service. I can see Nintendo having their own download service on the WiiU, and having EA's pages branded as Origin, but the whole service won't be branded Origin. And even if it was, it won't be the same as the PC service, it'll just be branded as Origin. The same if "Steam" comes to WiiU. It won't be Steam as we know it on PC. It'll be an entirely new thing that is just branded as Steam for marketing reasons. In reality it'll make no difference whether Origin or Steam wins this. It'll be the same basic service, it'll just have different branding. And there is not necessarily any truth to this rumour at all. It's on a random site I've never heard of - it's more likely that they're just making shit up to get pageviews.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @Contro: If they're updating it, that's a good sign, but the thing never should have been launched in this state. 

And it was a statement, not a question.  What Mario Kart is doing is good in that it's the first Nintendo game to really have a decent online infrastructure, but it's far from unique.  The Xbox and PS3 provide features and options like that as universally as a standard system for online games, and most of them have specific websites for more in depth player profiles, etc.  It's great that they're finally learning, but I'm not going to applaud them for something that's been the norm since 2005.
    Contro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Contro

@WinterSnowblind said:

@Contro: If they're updating it, that's a good sign, but the thing never should have been launched in this state. And it was a statement, not a question. What Mario Kart is doing is good in that it's the first Nintendo game to really have a decent online infrastructure, but it's far from unique. The Xbox and PS3 provide features and options like that as universally as a standard system for online games, and most of them have specific websites for more in depth player profiles, etc. It's great that they're finally learning, but I'm not going to applaud them for something that's been the norm since 2005.

I know they shouldn't have, but they rushed it out as we all know, Also, there was another reason (below). Some aspects are barely decent, while others are just bad. The titles of some sections are just nonsense, they don't make things easier at all, whoever devised some of them really is an idiot.

@KingBroly:

That's what I meant, I only used that wording because when they released the current build they always said it was work in progress. The reason for the delay was Asus (PC making company) buying out the Taiwanese based company that Nintendo uses to develop these systems on both Wii and 3DS currently, The buy-up by Asus is good news as it means we are far more likely to get better quality systems now.

noremnants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By noremnants

@Contro: The same nintendo that decided Friend Codes are a great idea?

bretthancock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30  Edited By bretthancock

I doubt it will be called Origin, Nintendo wouldn't allow another name from another company to be on their infrastructure. I do think that EA is or has already been commissioned to build out the infrastructure since internally I'm sure Nintendo realizes they do not have the capabilities or resources to devout to a good online system that mirrors XBLA or PSN.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.