Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

Do you think Virtual Console will eventually die?

RJay_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By RJay_64

Nintendo does not seem to be interested in supplying the library as well as they were in the beginning.  What do you think?

Avatar image for comradekritstov
    ComradeKritstov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By ComradeKritstov

It was dead to me once I found out everything was so overpriced.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By Hailinel

Well, there was always a finite number of titles that could conceivably go on the service, and it depends at least in part on publishers wanting to release their games on the service.  That being said, there's still plenty of games that could be released on the Virtual Console, but with WiiWare, Nintendo doesn't have to depend on Virtual Console content for a steady stream of new releases in the Wii Shop Channel.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Skytylz

I like to play some NES, SNES, and N64 games every once in a while.  I don't really care if they stop supplying it because they already have most of my nostalgic games.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#5  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

There was always going to be a point at which Nintendo were going to run out of really popular nostalgic titles to add to the service.

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By landon

Doesn't it cost them, like, zero dollars a week to do that? People buy the games, so I doubt they will ever stop.

blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By blair

Everything eventually dies.  If we're talking about death in the near future?  Absolutely not.

Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Famov
    @ComradeKritstov said:
    "It was dead to me once I found out everything was so overpriced. "

8 bucks and less isn't overpriced for the games that matter. 10 for N64 stings a bit though. The increased price for imports is pretty dumb.

Anyhow, Virtual Console will probably survive through the Wii's lifespan, but it will lose relevancy before then. Wii Ware's worthwhile library is fairly small, but I imagine it has potential still.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I'd like it more if it was cheaper and if games controls weren't mapped to the Gamecube controller so backwards. Seriously, try playing the Donkey Kong Country series over Virtual Console with the Gamecube controller. What the heck is that all about? Ladies and gentleman, I am peeved! I bid you adieu!

agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By agentboolen

Most over price rip off sales gimmick out there.  Everything from the Atari games to the N64 games are waaaay over priced.  The fact is the way there pricing those games your only going to get the ones you have been really wanting, its not like your going to want to buy a bunch for what there charging.  XBLA blows the Virtual Console away.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jeffgoldblum
    @agentboolen said:
    " Most over price rip off sales gimmick out there.  Everything from the Atari games to the N64 games are waaaay over priced.  The fact is the way there pricing those games your only going to get the ones you have been really wanting, its not like your going to want to buy a bunch for what there charging.  XBLA blows the Virtual Console away. "
    They are completely different beasts. Comparing VC to XBLA is just stupid. 
    Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Emilio

Though I understand that there haven't been a huge number of new VC titles in a while, but you have to understand that there are already a whole bunch of really fucking good games on there. 

Sometimes, though, you have to take a chance on a new game. 

I just got Tower Toppler from the Commodore64 line, and it is sooo trippy! The graphics are really amazing too.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#13  Edited By Hailinel
    @agentboolen said:
    " Most over price rip off sales gimmick out there.  Everything from the Atari games to the N64 games are waaaay over priced.  The fact is the way there pricing those games your only going to get the ones you have been really wanting, its not like your going to want to buy a bunch for what there charging.  XBLA blows the Virtual Console away. "
    If you were paying attention, you'd realize that there aren't any Atari games on the VC.
    rapid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By rapid

Everything comes to an end.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By shiftymagician
    @JeffGoldblum said:
    " @agentboolen said:
    They are completely different beasts. Comparing VC to XBLA is just stupid.  "
    I'm going to assume he came to this conclusion as XBLA has less to do with taking advantage of nostalgia (though it still does from time to time), and creating a market for new smaller games from smaller studios to profit with access to the whole XBOX Live consumer-base, whilst with VC you know the only thing they got going for it is a library of games that will never grow, and that people are continually suckered into buying because of the strength of nostalgia.  Not that it is a bad thing by the way, but I see that XBLA does more things better in my opinion.
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By agentboolen
    @ShiftyMagician said:

" @JeffGoldblum said:

" @agentboolen said:
    They are completely different beasts. Comparing VC to XBLA is just stupid.  "
    I'm going to assume he came to this conclusion as XBLA has less to do with taking advantage of nostalgia (though it still does from time to time), and creating a market for new smaller games from smaller studios to profit with access to the whole XBOX Live consumer-base, whilst with VC you know the only thing they got going for it is a library of games that will never grow, and that people are continually suckered into buying because of the strength of nostalgia.  Not that it is a bad thing by the way, but I see that XBLA does more things better in my opinion. "
     Yes I know both are completely different beast but there are a few games that are on both services.  For example Sonic the Hedgehog 1-3 are cheaper on the XBLA then they are on VC and there even given achievements.  I guess I should have made more of a point other then just throwing XBLA in there.

@Hailinel:  Sorry your right I meant Commordor 64, i get those 2 mixed up since I came in on the NES era.
    zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#17  Edited By zidd

They will eventually run out of games to release. unless they start selling gamecube games.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By Dalai

There have been a total of 19 Virtual Console games released this year, which is less than one per week. Compared to the two or more games we used to get after launch, the Virtual Console is at least on life support. 

It's not like there's a shortage of classic games. Sure Nintendo may have already released most of their big games, but even Nintendo has several games they can still throw out there. Like Earthbound. And Donkey Kong 64, Earthbound, Star Fox, Earthbound, Mother, and even Earthbound.

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#19  Edited By JonathanMoore

Earthbound.

ch13696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#20  Edited By ch13696

If they end it then oh well. Good thing for the homebrew channel. Play all the emulators I want. Yeah, so what. You have them too on your computer.

AdvanceStrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AdvanceStrat

They'll run out of games to add to the service eventually, but I doubt the service will up and close anytime soon.  If I ever get around to getting a classic controller, I'll probably get a couple games from there myself that I never got a chance to play, like starfox 64.

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#22  Edited By damnboyadvance

Probably. I hope WiiWare dies with it.

issun187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By issun187

Nintendo should definitely come up with a way to transfer all purchased Virtual Console games to their next console. And please, release Yoshi's Island in Europe (don't know if it's out in the States)! I can't be bothered to purchase the GBA version. By the way, why isn't there a Virtual Console on the DSi with Game Boy (Color, Advance and so forth) titles?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.