Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

WipEout Omega Collection

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jun 06, 2017

The Omega Collection brings WipEout HD, Fury, and 2048 to PlayStation 4 in one package.

That big beat techno drum and bass jungle house electronica 90s type sound

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

Please do not embed videos into this thread, but please do share you tube links to electronic music, and let's build a solid list of ideas for music to play alongside the Wipeout Omega Collection.

Thank you.

Wikipedia sez:

In the late 1990s and early 2000s, electronica music was increasingly used as background scores for television advertisements, initially for automobiles. It was also used for various video games, including the Wipeout series, for which the soundtrack was composed of many popular electronica tracks that helped create more interest in this type of music.

And yes, it most certainly did. For those of us old enough to remember it, the Wipeout series of video games was likely your first exposure to artists such as The Chemical Brothers, The Prodigy, Daft Punk, and Orbital. These artists weren't being played on many radio stations, and the reality of spotify, you tube, or even Napster didn't exist yet.

It was the music of the future, today. Nothing else sounded like it, and until Wipeout broadened its popularity, many didn't even know it existed. But then there it was. Sometimes hostile and aggressive, sometimes cool and catchy, sometimes dark and menacing, and sometimes downright weird, but it was new and different and exciting.

And then Skrillex happened or something. I don't know.

Anyhow, there was a time that I really enjoyed electronic music in the 90s and early 2000s. I only dabbled in it, but a handful of artists became permanent additions to my taste in music. And with a new old Wipeout game about to grace the current generation of PlayStation consoles, I thought this would be a good time to look back on 90s electronic music, and start thinking about setting up some custom soundtracks.

So again, Please do not embed videos into this thread, but please do share you tube links to electronic music. What electronic music were you listening to in the 90s? What did you discover after the fact? And what electronic music are you listening to now?

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
    deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I enjoy a lot of what I guess would be generally called ambient techno. Orbital who you mentioned would fit that genre of music, as well as some of Richard D James' stuff, B12, early Autechre. A lot of the stuff coming out on Warp back then. Just something about the way a lot of those tracks are composed, it just sounds like the 90's to me.

Autechre - Bike
    B12 - Void/Comm
    Carl Craig - A Wonderful Life
    Aphex Twin - Pulsewidth

GuitarGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

i produce very minimal techno / tech house styled beats

i'd say my influence is what you would normally hear in underground industrial type clubs in Europe, very early 00's in style

this track is produced at 160 bpm, so quite fast for a dance track, i use an 808 sample and a very common techno kick layered to create a very booming bass sound. The synth are layered to create this very frenetic melody

https://soundcloud.com/dankhwaja/neptune-prod-95dank

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just listen for any modern techno set, and you should be able to find some parts reminiscent of that 90's era.

The only real difference, is that by and large, the modern techno style has been pitched down since the mid 00's.

There's a track from this week's Essential Mix (Joseph Capriati) that sounds like it could belong on the original Wipeout soundtrack.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The soundtrack they've provided for this seems okay. Nothing really got stuck to my head when I listened through it, but no terrible ones either. But since I do have Spotify sub, I'm going to build up a list of my own to play on the background when I want some really good jams.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.