Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wizardry

Franchise »

One of the oldest computer and video game franchises, Wizardry has directly influenced RPGs on both sides of the Pacific.

Wondering why this isn't out on Steam/GOG

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By fox01313

With all the talk recently on the site about this & not going through it myself, I started looking for one of the games in the Wizardry series on either Steam or GOG to find it's not out on either one. I knew that Steam might have been a long shot on it but rather surprised that one of the games in the franchise isn't there. Am I the only one wanting to dive into this series more yet puzzled why it's been overlooked so far on these sites?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#2  Edited By ArbitraryWater

@fox01313: The rights to the Wizardry franchise fell into the hands of a Japanese company after Sir Tech went under in early 2002. I'm not sure on the specifics, but I imagine that is basically why any of the western-developed titles in the series have yet to see a re-release. It's a pity too, as Wizardry 8 still holds up incredibly well for a game that came out in late 2001. Of course, if you really want to play them, it's not like there are less than legal alternatives to being price gouged on Ebay.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By fox01313

Thanks for the info, after knowing this I'll be sure to be on the lookout on the new & used section of amazon as well as the retail chain of stores around here called Half Price Books which deals with a lot of new/used pc & console games as well as books & dvds/cds. The ones near me have been pretty good at finding older games without a ton of price hiking to them but still might occasionally run across the $20-40 game in the collectible section just due to the rarity of it compared to the other pc games that are less popular games or something that's part of of some store clearing some shelves & selling them at reduced price to half price books.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.