Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 07, 2010

Cataclysm is the third expansion pack to World of Warcraft. This expansion revamped and changed much of the original world content in addition to providing new areas, dungeons, and playable races.

Can you explain to me what is rolling

Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By Chocobodude3

and some good raiding strategies ,good equipment for a low level player like me, etc 

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By melcene

Rolling is when a piece of loot drops, and everyone "rolls" a virtual x-sided dice to see who gets it.  In WoW, you can either Need, Greed, Disenchant, or Pass.  Need rolls will always trump all the others.  You only roll Need if it's something you can and will use.  Greed is if you can't use it, or don't need it, and just intend to sell it, and disenchant is similar to greed except that rather than the item, you get its disenchant materials  (look up enchanting on WoWwiki for more on this).   Pass, hopefully, is obvious. 

Raiding isn't something you should need to worry about right now.  You won't be raiding until quite a bit later. 

Good equipment... well its hard for us to tell you what that might be without knowing what class you play.

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By TheMustacheHero

Don't worry about raiding until you're level 85. Anyways rolling can be two things 
     First is rolling on a piece of loot, let's say some epic loot drops then the people who want it are then asked to "roll" you can roll for items by typing in /roll and then you get a number out of 100.
    Second is, you could say, "I'm rolling an alt, or I'm rolling a pally" aka "I'm playing that specific role or character"

TheRemedy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By TheRemedy
    @TheMustacheHero said:
    " Second is, you could say, "I'm rolling an alt, or I'm rolling a pally" aka "I'm playing that specific role or character" "
    I thought it came from pen and paper where you would roll dice to determine stats and stuff.
    Chocobodude3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Chocobodude3
    @melcene: i am currently a  level 8 orc warrior
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @TheRemedy said:
    " @TheMustacheHero said:
    " Second is, you could say, "I'm rolling an alt, or I'm rolling a pally" aka "I'm playing that specific role or character" "
    I thought it came from pen and paper where you would roll dice to determine stats and stuff. "
    Could be that as well.

@stoodspoon: The only advice I have is, do quests until level 15, then start doing dungeons through the dungeon finder.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By melcene
    @stoodspoon: Well you're looking for mail armor until level 40, then plate armor.  But what kind of stats you're looking for on those depend on what kind of warrior you're playing. 

@TheRemedy: Yes, "rolling" in terms of rolling a character does basically come from old pen & paper, or even older style RPGs, MUDs and MMOs.
    hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By hexx462
    @TheMustacheHero said:
    " Could be that as well.  "
    I promise I'm not trying to be a douche, but it is that.
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @hexx462 said:
    " @TheMustacheHero said:
    I promise I'm not trying to be a douche, but it is that. "
    In terms of WoW? No.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By melcene
    @TheMustacheHero said:
    " @hexx462 said:
    " @TheMustacheHero said:
    In terms of WoW? No. "
    Yeah, it is actually.  It's just been carried over.  You don't say "I'm rolling a pally" because you want to fill a pally role.  A pally isn't a role.  A tank is a role.  A healer is a role.  You say you're rolling a pally because it's a holdover from old games, including pen and paper, where when you "rolled" a toon, their stats got "rolled" for.  Even in computer/console games, it would be that the computer or console rolled your starting stats.  You wouldn't always start out with 18 str and 15 con. 

But most likely, the OP was talking about loot rolls.
    IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By IBurningStar
    @TheMustacheHero said:
    " @hexx462 said:
    " @TheMustacheHero said:
    In terms of WoW? No. "
    Well he is right. The origin of the phrase comes from pen and paper RPGs when you would make your character and roll on their stats. This carried over into MMOs like WoW because they also function with the same sort of stat setup. Only all the default starting stats are set at a predetermined number, which are different depending on your race and class. If you pick an orc warrior then the game "rolls" and gets those stats.

As for the OP and good gear, just do quests and the rewards you get from them will be fine while leveling. Your gear doesn't truly become super important until max level. And don't fall into the trap of buying stuff on the AH. You will most likely end up replacing it in a few hours and it isn't worth the money.
    hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By hexx462
    @melcene: Thanks for biting the bullet on that argument for me there :P
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By melcene
    @hexx462: Back when I used to MUD, before the days of MMOs, I remember rolling and rerolling and rerolling my toons just to get the stats I wanted.  My cleric HAD to have 18+ wis and 14+ con and int  :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.