Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 07, 2010

Cataclysm is the third expansion pack to World of Warcraft. This expansion revamped and changed much of the original world content in addition to providing new areas, dungeons, and playable races.

Getting Windows 7 tomorrow

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By CL60

So, I was on my computer a few days ago, when all of a sudden, red dots everywhere, and a crash, and it continues to do this whenever I try to do anything, and I came to the conclusion my video card has crapped out. So now tomorrow, I'm going out to pick up a new card, and I thought.. may as well pick up Windows 7 while I'm out there. Why am I posting this on the WoW board you ask? 

It dawned on me. I am going to have to reinstall this game, and the last time I did so, it took me 9 and a half hours... fuck.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By mike
    @CL60: The installation streams now, so you should be ready to play in an hour or so depending on your internet connection. It downloads what you need first, then the rest later or as you zone-in to new areas that haven't been cached locally yet.
    HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By HaltIamReptar

If you install from your original discs and then go up from there, you can save a bit of time.  Instead of p2p downloading that info you're just installing from a CD.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By TaliciaDragonsong

Yep, MB's got the gist of it.
    Last time I installed it I used the WotLK cd's and it was done in an hour or so (and I could play right way, streaming launcher and all that).
    They certainly upgraded.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CL60
    @MB said:

" @CL60: The installation streams now, so you should be ready to play in an hour or so depending on your internet connection. It downloads what you need first, then the rest later or as you zone-in to new areas that haven't been cached locally yet. "

Isn't that just the patches? The game itself takes forever to install. I could be wrong though.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mike
    @CL60: Nope, it's the installation now as well. New feature of the 4.0 launcher.
    contagious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By contagious

You should be able to just copy over your wow folder just like with steam and it will be fine.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CL60
    @MB said:
    " @CL60: Nope, it's the installation now as well. New feature of the 4.0 launcher. "
    Oh, didn't know that. How does that work? Which discs do I use to install the game? Or is it something I download?
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mike
    @CL60: You don't need any discs. Just download the client launcher from battle.net and go from there. 
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CL60
    @MB said:
    " @CL60: You don't need any discs. Just download the client launcher from battle.net and go from there.  "
    Have you ever tried it? I know with the patch streaming, at least in beta, sometimes quest givers would take a long time to load in.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mike
    @CL60: Yeah, it works great. I used it with my fresh installation of WOW when I started up again after Cataclysm. 
    sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I've been moving my WoW folder for years now to different PCs.  Works fine.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.