Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 07, 2010

Cataclysm is the third expansion pack to World of Warcraft. This expansion revamped and changed much of the original world content in addition to providing new areas, dungeons, and playable races.

New 1-60 content is pretty amazing.

Avatar image for griefersstolemykeyboard
    griefersstolemykeyboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

After having leveled a character from 1-58 now I have to say, the new quests are pretty amazing considering this is an mmorpg, definately lifting the standard for mmo's again imo.

So much awesome lore and story, and so little "go out and kill 10 of these and collect 19 of these rinse repeat quests."

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By superfriend

Examples? Does the game have branching quests where you can actually determine the outcome of (smaller) stories within the gameworld?
     I found WoW´s quests ultra-uncompelling when playing the original a few years back. Still waiting for an MMO that finally sucks me into its world with great quests and storylines.

02sfraser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By 02sfraser

I couldn't agree more. I left WoW but got given a months subscription from a friend and told to level on our old server. After making a Horde character and getting him to level 33 I have to say the new quests are amazing. Feels like you're in a constant war with the alliance rather than doing meaningless farming or wandering. Much better experience

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Pinworm45
    @Superfriend said:
    " Examples? Does the game have branching quests where you can actually determine the outcome of (smaller) stories within the gameworld.  I found WoW´s quests ultra-uncompelling when playing the original a few years back. Still waiting for an MMO that finally sucks me into its world with great quests and storylines. "
    You should definitely check out Guild Wars 2. In addition to no fee, every single quest is going to have a permanent impact. If you accept a quest to help a city, and you don't do it, that city will die, and get enemy control. If you help, it'll become friendly. Actual impacts, although one side effect of it having no monthly fee is that I think a lot of it is instanced. 

Might be worth checking out, and I agree with you. 

Anyway on topic, I'm only at level 7, so I haven't seen much. The only noteworthy change is that in the undead area, now instead of collecting crates, you collect bodies. Which are more rare and annoying.  

Gunna hit it up tomorrow.
    Kodo_Beast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Kodo_Beast

Loving it too, though I'm only level 33 so far. Silverpine Forest is easily the best zone I've seen yet in terms of storytelling and to some extent questing, and it left me a bit disconnected from the rest of the game when I moved onto Hillsbrad (also an excellent zone but for different reasons. Sludge Fields <3). 

My only complaint so far is the overleveling that happens when you do *any* dungeon runs. I've been fighting mobs 2-4 levels below me since level 15 and it only recently started evening out at ~30.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Pinworm45

Okay so after finishing the Undead staring zone and am now on my way to silverpine, I'm not yet impressed. 

Aside from 1 or 2 new quests (which were nothing special), all of the quests still the same, they've just moved locations, which keeps the progression a bit simpler instead of "just go to brill, get every quest, and do them in whatever order". It might be cleaner, but I wouldn't say it's better or improved. Also, I don't like all the crazy futuristic undead stuff around Brill and prefer the old city (even though the walls and structures do look cool, but that future stuff..) but that's nitpicking. 

I'll see what happens when I get into Silverpine.

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By raiz265

@Pinworm45 said:

" Okay so after finishing the Undead staring zone and am now on my way to silverpine, I'm not yet impressed.  Aside from 1 or 2 new quests (which were nothing special), all of the quests still the same, they've just moved locations, which keeps the progression a bit simpler instead of "just go to brill, get every quest, and do them in whatever order". It might be cleaner, but I wouldn't say it's better or improved. Also, I don't like all the crazy futuristic undead stuff around Brill and prefer the old city (even though the walls and structures do look cool, but that future stuff..) but that's nitpicking.  I'll see what happens when I get into Silverpine. "
    silverpine is pretty much 90% new... hillsbrad seemed to be too, stranglethorn is mostly the same unfortunately (apart from the zul gurub quests and some in booty bay regarding the bloodsail pirates)... western and eastern plaguelands are also completely(!) new

i leveled and undead hunter from 1-60 last week, all in all it was pretty nice 

now he's stuck there forever because i HATE the burning crusade leveling zones... 
     but i guess i have to level another char to check out the zones on kalimdor.. i pretty much went 1-50 or something just in the eastern kingdoms
    Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Kazona

Ok I have played up to level 9, and so far, all the quests are "go here, get me ten of those, kill then of theses," variety. When, exactly, am I supposed to see those amazing changes?

Moody_yeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Moody_yeti

I havent tried it myself but a friend on WoW says they actually enjoyed leveling again,To bad i have to many alts to consider lvling a new char^^

EnchantedEcho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#10  Edited By EnchantedEcho
    @Kodo_Beast: That happened to me, if it happens again go to your main city (Orgrimar or Stormwind) and find a  Warchief's Command Board (if you are horde) or  'Hero's Call Board' (if you are Alliance). This board will give you a quest that will send you to the correct area for your level and start you on the chain of quests in that area.   

I was super impressed that they implemented this feature, its really smart.   
    dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By dichemstys

I got to level 30 recently (20 levels of which have been in the new patch) and I've found the experience to be great. The quests are more fun and they give you a sense of actually serving a purpose in the world with all the boss battles, stuff like that.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By NathHaw

The Wolf and the Kodo quest in Durotar is my new favorite.  Very cool how it tells a story on screen as you are doing the quest as a flashback.

Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
    CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I got to level 61 as a human warrior before I stopped playing, and I've always been against creating another character. If this new content is as amazing as some people are saying, though, then I might get back into it on a new character. The reason I didn't do it before was because I didn't want to go through the same stuff again (I only wish to play as a human warrior).

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By CL60
    @Kazona said:
    " Ok I have played up to level 9, and so far, all the quests are "go here, get me ten of those, kill then of theses," variety. When, exactly, am I supposed to see those amazing changes? "
    Oh yeah, level 9 is totally when you can judge an MMO.
    Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jadeskye
    @CL60 said:
    " @Kazona said:
    " Ok I have played up to level 9, and so far, all the quests are "go here, get me ten of those, kill then of theses," variety. When, exactly, am I supposed to see those amazing changes? "
    Oh yeah, level 9 is totally when you can judge an MMO. "
    it's like call of duty right? finished in 4 hours.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By toowalrus

Yes, yes it is. I was going to start leveling a new character, but I think I'm going to wait until the 7th, so I can run a goblin.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NathHaw
    @TooWalrus: I so want to make a goblin shaman, and the new Azshara is so cool that I can't wait to run through it again with him.  He'll be around his own kind! ;)
    TheKeywork1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheKeywork1989
    @Pinworm45 said:
    " Okay so after finishing the Undead staring zone and am now on my way to silverpine, I'm not yet impressed.  Aside from 1 or 2 new quests (which were nothing special), all of the quests still the same, they've just moved locations, which keeps the progression a bit simpler instead of "just go to brill, get every quest, and do them in whatever order". It might be cleaner, but I wouldn't say it's better or improved. Also, I don't like all the crazy futuristic undead stuff around Brill and prefer the old city (even though the walls and structures do look cool, but that future stuff..) but that's nitpicking.  I'll see what happens when I get into Silverpine. "
    I hear Silvepine is great, but the zones that were just absolutely amazing were: Azshara, Stonetalon Mountains, Thousand Needles, Tanaris, Un'goro, and Blasted lands. I did 1-60 in a 3 days just to prove to myself how stupid simple it would be. I mostly did the zones in the lists with a few exceptions such as WPL, Ashenvale, and Desolace (ps. Don't go there. Just don't.). For the 1st time I can say I actually enjoyed questing and when I hit 60 I really was kinda bummed that I had to go outlands which had not changed at all.
    Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By Kazona
    @jadeskye said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " @Kazona said:
    it's like call of duty right? finished in 4 hours. "
    I do believe the topic title says, "1-60 content." Last I checked, that includes the numbers two through nine as well.  

I have played plenty of WoW before Cataclysm. So far I don't see anything that sets this new content apart from earlier stuff. Maybe at level 20 I'll start seeing amazing new things, but then the thread title should read, "new 20-60 content is pretty amazing." 
    CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20  Edited By CenturionCajun

I made a Gnome just to see the new starting zone and have played him all the way up to level 45 or so. I have to say that so far I'm loving how they have streamlined the level 1-60 progression. They have completely worked all the zones in the game so that they flow outward from whatever starting zone you begin in. It's quick and easy to get to level 60 and I'm almost there after only about a week of concerted effort. It's also awesome for someone who has played the game for six years to come across some of the major changes which have occurred in the Cataclysm. 

Now, for complains I'll say that it often feels like you just got to one of the small questing hubs when they tell you to move on. There are usually only three or four quests and thats it. However, there are usually three or four of these hubs per zone so it isn't that bad. I'll also agree that dungeons seem completely disconnected from the world now. You just enter a que whenever the LFG says you can go, get the quests at the start, and off you go. I can easily see many new players never even knowing where alot of these dungeons are located in the actual game world. As for the massive experience being issues by the dungeons and their quests Blizzard nerfed that in a hot fix so it should slow down progression a bit now to prevent over leveling. 

Overall I think Blizzard did exactly what they needed to in order to keep WoW fresh and alive. You know how to work your way through 80 levels of content before you can see the current expansion so something had to be done. I can only hope that at some point in the future they give Burning Crusade and Wrath a facelift as well.
    BlindRapture

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BlindRapture

Highly suggest checking out the Redridge and Burning Steppes quest lines.

zor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By zor

I would suggest you guys do the quest in the badlands, just so you can get to "The Day Deathwing Came" 

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Badlands, Ashenvale, Barrens, Tirisfal Glades, Silverpine Forest, Hillsbrad, Dun Morogh, Wetlands, Thousand Needles, Tanaris...

Most areas have been overhauled and most (not all, I admit) have an awesome pacing.
    It'll always be a MMO with grinds and go fetch that, but that's what it is.

When I walked into the new Orgrimmar, it felt the same as 6 years ago.
    When I did the Ashenvale quests, it felt like there was a skirmish going on between the Night Elfs and Orcs, just like it felt 6 years ago.
    When I read and saw the new quests, it felt like 6 years ago.

It feels old in a good way and new in a even better way.
    You get to interact with heroes such as Rexxar, Garrosh Hellscream and Ysera, meet a bunch of new and old faces and get to see some real story telling in Warcraft.

You can argue with me if its your game or not, but you cannot argue that this was a change for the good.
    I can't wait for Cataclysm and I can't wait level yet another character 1-85 thanks to the new areas!

Avatar image for comradekritstov
    ComradeKritstov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#25  Edited By ComradeKritstov

Why do you have to tempt me so? D: 

I have so many games backlogged but all this new stuff is calling me back to WoW, as questing was my favorite part.

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jmrwacko
    @Pinworm45 said:
    " You should definitely check out Guild Wars 2. In addition to no fee, every single quest is going to have a permanent impact. If you accept a quest to help a city, and you don't do it, that city will die, and get enemy control. If you help, it'll become friendly. Actual impacts, although one side effect of it having no monthly fee is that I think a lot of it is instanced.  Might be worth checking out, and I agree with you.  . "
    I would check out Guild Wars 2, except it's currently in pre-alpha.
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RE_Player1
    @Bloviator said:
    " The Wolf and the Kodo quest in Durotar is my new favorite.  Very cool how it tells a story on screen as you are doing the quest as a flashback. "
    I just did that quest 5 minutes ago. A really powerful quest and I was only level 10. 
    NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By NathHaw
    @RE_Player92: That's now my second favorite new quest.  I just did the baby raptor quest chain in STV.  That's maybe the best quest chain ever.  I liked it better than Bridenbrad -- the quest based on the dead brother of one of the Blizz employees.

From the link:

It appears that this is a tribute to a real life person. In the WLK manual ( /Data/enUS/Documentation/Manual_WLK.pdf ) there is a Bradford C. Bridenbecker R.I.P. 6.18.2007 listed in the special thanks (Page 16, 2nd column).
    He had been a City Manager for La Habra (a city very close to Blizz's offices in Irvine)

From Assemblyman Michael D. Duvall On June 21st, 2007, I requested that the California State Assembly adjourn in the memory of La Habra City Manager Brad C. Bridenbecker, who passed away on Monday, June 18th after a long battle with cancer. He was just 35 years young.

Brad grew up in Orange County, attended college at Cal Poly Pomona and grad school at USC. He started with the City of La Habra back in 1994 as a part-time intern and was steadily promoted through the ranks until his appointment as City Manager on June 16, 2002.

A number of significant projects in La Habra were completed under his leadership, including: Westbridge Plaza, Costco, La Bonita Park Phases 1 and 2, and the reconstruction of La Habra Boulevard.

Brad was diagnosed with cancer shortly after being appointed City Manager and worked continuously until taking a leave of absence in April of 2006.

Brad was a bright, capable and dedicated public servant, and wholeheartedly a family man. He loved being a dad and spending time with his wife, Beth, and two daughters, Victoria and Katie.

He will be sorely missed.
    The name likeness is simply too close. Perhaps a bit of commentary on Blizzard's part that cancer is a real life "Plague" that claims even the greatest of people.
    Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Pinworm45

Some Orc leader who isn't thrall called my Queen a bitch. How do I go to war against the Horde, again? 

Diggin Silverpine so far.

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By gamb1t

LOL i cant take this seriously.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By sins_of_mosin

I tell ya, if you got both heirloom items and que up for a instance every time, you will leap frog zones!  Add gathering experience and by gawd, it will feel like a whole new game.  With my mage, I'm just leveling without care for the lore or such but when I make my Goblin, I will pay much attention to the quests.

I don't understand why they give the same item slot as a reward for the capital factions.  The sheer amount of flight paths now is nice.  I noticed that they have made the 1-60 instances easier and even removed some mobs.  I couldn't believe they made Scholo a low 40 instance.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Pinworm45
    @gakon5 said:
    " @Pinworm45 said:
    " Some Orc leader who isn't thrall called my Queen a bitch. How do I go to war against the Horde, again?  Diggin Silverpine so far. "
    Man, there were some heated forum debates when all the Horde leader story stuff came out. "
    I gotta admit, I'm not big on lore or story in MMOS but I've always appreciated the Forsaken stuff. It made me sad that they changed the undead intro, because it's more suiting than ever now - the part about the forsaken being in an "alliance of.. convencience" always set an atmosphere for me, and now it'd be even more relevant. 

Oh well.  

Also, everyone is saying Azshara is amazing, what level should I head there as my undead hunter? Don't wanna miss it since it sounds like it's lower level now.
    PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By PixelPrinny

Agreed, loving a lot of the new stuff. EPL and Redridge are probably my favorites. It's also kinda crazy and kinda awesome you can level exclusively on one continent now. I'm about to head to the outlands and I haven't even touched Kalimdor aside from dungeons.  

I think my only gripe is the ending of the Andorhal questchain in WPL (for Alliance, at least). After kicking ass and taking names, the Forsaken basically turn into the scourge, the Argent Dawn doesn't seem to mind them summoning mindless undead right on Hearthglen's door step, and there's no follow up quest to follow the DK who plans on confronting Sylvannas. So I was just left going "Uhhh what? This seems a bit too important just to leave unanswered...." 

But yeah. Awesome new content, loving it and can't wait to see the Kalimdor stuff with my Worgen druid :D

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#35  Edited By TheHT
    @CL60 said:
    " @Kazona said:
    key words: 'so far', 'when'
    jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#36  Edited By jacksukeru

Damn it! I am so going back. Not right now though, too busy, maybe sometime in january/february.

Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys, you made me regret getting AC:Brotherhood over WoW Cataclysm/2 month card :/

sgjackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By sgjackson

It's not mindblowing but it's definitely a lot more streamlined and easier to get into. So far I've done Durotar>Barrens>Ashenvale>Stonetalon>Desolace on my druid, the first three zones were pretty good, Stonetalon has some pretty awesome story stuff at the end of it which was badass, and Desolace has been pretty disappointing in terms of having some of the quests be a little more obnoxious than they should be (but nowhere near as bad as some of the old zones).

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By HydraHam
    @griefersstolemykeyboard said:
    " After having leveled a character from 1-58 now I have to say, the new quests are pretty amazing considering this is an mmorpg, definately lifting the standard for mmo's again imo.   So much awesome lore and story, and so little "go out and kill 10 of these and collect 19 of these rinse repeat quests." "
    really? i have been leveling a druid and so far i would say a good 90% is go out and kill 10 of these, collect X of these, matter a fact every quest has been either kill this guy, kill these guys or collect X things, granted they have done most of it in a fun way especially thousand needles but its still the same ol grind with unoriginal quest but i still love the game
    Floppypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#40  Edited By Floppypants

I created a dwarf warlock to kill time and see the new 1-60 experience.  In about two weeks I got him to level 75 with two maxed professions.  If I had less school responsibilities right now he'd easily be 80.  As a veteran player who has played since launch, the 1-60 experience (at least for dwarves and gnomes) is the best questing content Blizzard has ever made.  It makes me incredibly excited to level my main through Cataclysm's new zones.

It's important to understand however is that while these changes polished and refined their massively successful MMO formula, they would never in a million years reinvent it.  The game still has fetch quests, kill quests, collection quests, escort quests, and the like.  They are the meat & potatoes of WoW questing.  Blizzard simply cannot make 100,000 quests where each one feels special and different.  That said, the new 1-60 experience is filled with near infinitely more "special moments" where you get a quest that stands out and is just awesome.

These days you can buy vanilla WoW (the 1-60 experience) for $5-$10, and that includes the first month free.  If the new content isn't the Call of Duty, overly scripted, rollercoaster experience you diluted yourself into thinking it was, it's not like you spent $60.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By NathHaw

Oh emm gee.  10 minutes before the expansion goes live.  Probably be a few minutes before I can even log in due to traffic....  Time for food.  ;)

misterpope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By misterpope

to me, it feels like there actually is a purpose to what i'm doing, a real story, instead of just killing 10 quilboars for the heck of it. 

There still are killing quests, but they're actually cool. yeah. play it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Bloviator said:
    " Oh emm gee.  10 minutes before the expansion goes live.  Probably be a few minutes before I can even log in due to traffic....  Time for food.  ;) "

I wish, buddy. Still two more hours (1 hour after your reply.) It's 12:00 PST, so 3 EST. Can't wait to fly in the old world and actually experience some of these new zones from a new character's perspective. My main was 52 when Azeroth shattered, and the taste of new quests in Felwood and Winterspring whetted my appetite. Freaked me out to find myself fighting the Goblins alongside the Worgen in Felwood after Deathwing escaped, but it was cool as all heck.

And for those frowning about having to level through Burning Crusade.. it's not that bad. Especially since you can fly at 60 now. I walked through all those zones and disliked a good chunk of it back when BC was released, but now that I can fly over most of it, it goes a lot quicker (especially since they accelerated the XP gains there when Wrath came out.) Turns out the flying mounts are also only like 450g total now. Surprised me because my buddy bought one before the Shattering for the requisite 1,000g.

MichaelBach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MichaelBach

I played til lvl 33 and so far it has been good. I am now in the Stranglethorn area and find it very boring. kill 10 tigers, kill  10 elder tigers, kill leader tigers, repeat with panthers.. skin crocks... 

Trying to figure out where I can go where it will be more fun.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By melcene
    @Bloviator: @animathias: Pffft to both of you.  I can't play till I get home from work today in about 8-9 more hours. 

As for the BC thing, I read a blue post today that says that Blizz is hoping to revisit BC and update their quests too.  Who knows when that will be though.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@melcene:
    I think it's already been done. It doesn't look like they're changing things too drastically, but some quest texts mention the Cataclysm now, and I noticed a slightly more streamlined chain through Hellfire at least. Like everyone else, I didn't like Hellfire so I might have just forgotten about the entire thing, though I do specifically remember someone mentioning the catacylsm back home.
    Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#47  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Could not agree more, there is SO much variety, it feels like an actual RPG now. 
    frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By frytup

I got both a worgen and a goblin up to 13 just to see the new starting zones. Worgen is ok, goblin is pretty cool. Lots of fun flying stuff.

For 80+ types, there's a quest chain in Mt. Hyjal which finishes off having you a play a 3D version of Joust. F-ing hilarious.

seantacular218

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By seantacular218
    @EnchantedEcho: Aw man! I wish I knew thats what it was lol I assumed I was just adopting some random quests that were way to high level for me! Thanks for the tip, now I'll go back and find out what area I'm supposed to be in. I've never really played Horde before so I'm completely lost outside the starting areas and major cities.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.