Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 07, 2010

Cataclysm is the third expansion pack to World of Warcraft. This expansion revamped and changed much of the original world content in addition to providing new areas, dungeons, and playable races.

What class is best tank right now?

Avatar image for brandoncooper17
    brandoncooper17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By brandoncooper17

For noob. Im not good at wow but i dont want play dps i heard about long wait times so i think im going play tank.

One good for lvling and easy to play.

Hardgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2  Edited By Hardgamer
    @brandoncooper17 said:
    " For noob. Im not good at wow but i dont want play dps i heard about long wait times so i think im going play tank. "
    I don't recall of what you're trying to say. Tanks you mean?
    brandoncooper17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By brandoncooper17
    @Hardgamer said:
    " @brandoncooper17 said:
    " For noob. Im not good at wow but i dont want play dps i heard about long wait times so i think im going play tank. "
    I don't recall of what you're trying to say. Tanks you mean? "
    A class cant be tanks it can only be one.
    Huey2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Huey2k2

Tanking in general is not "easy" for new players IMO.

If you are interested in learning though and want to make it easy on yourself, play a pally. As someone who has a warrior, pally, and DK all at 85 all of which are tanks, I can tell you that pally tanking is by far the easiest. You literally press all of 4 buttons while you tank as a pally, and you swap one of them out depending on whether it's single target tanking or AoE tanking. Pally tanking takes by far the least amount of work.

Warrior tanking is the most fun IMO, but warrior and DK tanking require you to manage lots of abilities and cooldowns at once, and if you are new you may not be very good at that yet, especially while you are trying to learn the situational awareness that tanking requires.

brandoncooper17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By brandoncooper17
    @Huey2k2 said:
    " Tanking in general is not "easy" for new players IMO.If you are interested in learning though and want to make it easy on yourself, play a pally. As someone who has a warrior, pally, and DK all at 85 all of which are tanks, I can tell you that pally tanking is by far the easiest. You literally press all of 4 buttons while you tank as a pally, and you swap one of them out depending on whether it's single target tanking or AoE tanking. Pally tanking takes by far the least amount of work.Warrior tanking is the most fun IMO, but warrior and DK tanking require you to manage lots of abilities and cooldowns at once, and if you are new you may not be very good at that yet, especially while you are trying to learn the situational awareness that tanking requires. "

So maybe i should just play pally dps for while until i get good and experienced? 

Then role tank?

Huey2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Huey2k2
    @brandoncooper17:
    Honestly the best way to learn how to tank is to level as a tank, do dungeons as a tank, level that way.

You are going to have a hard time at first, tanks play nothing like DPS, you have to have the situational awareness and the understanding of your abilities to be able to do it properly. You also are expected to set the pace of the dungeon, too fast and your healer can't keep up, too slow and you will lose the confidence in your group that you are a good tank. These are things you can only learn by doing it, you need to practice over and over, and the best place to practice is in low level dungeons. You will have a hard time at first, but it will get easier in time.
    unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By unchained
    @brandoncooper17 said:

So maybe i should just play pally dps for while until i get good and experienced? 

Then role tank?

"
    Or just re-spec (duel spec now, I believe) your paladin to a tanking role once you are comfortable with all the abilities.
    Joru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Joru
    @brandoncooper17: Play pally or warrior up to 55, if you don't like it by then, roll a DK. You should also do some dungeons while leveling as a tank to get used to it (the early game dungeons aren't difficult to tank).

They are all equally good for tanking in general, although warriors to tend to be easier with multiple targets than DK's and things like that. In the long run it doesn't matter much though. Personally I would keep away from paladin tanking as it is more boring than DK/Warrior in my opinion, but it is easier to manage if you're scared of being overwhelmed by the amount of skills.

In terms of leveling, pala / dk is equally very easy while warriors at least used to be fairly difficult at times due to their reliance on having healers and good gear. If you avoid soloing group quests you shouldn't have a problem though.
    McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By McShank

Warriors are easy to level and tanking with them is simple. Druids are easy to level and tank with.. Hunters can tank with their kiting abilities. Paladins are boring and overrated. all are goo choices.. except that pally one

Huey2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Huey2k2
    @McShank said:
    " Warriors are easy to level and tanking with them is simple. Druids are easy to level and tank with.. Hunters can tank with their kiting abilities. Paladins are boring and overrated. all are goo choices.. except that pally one "

You have never tanked anything serious have you?

Warrior tanking is probably the least simple of them all. Pallies by far are the most simple tanking, you literally use 4 buttons. Tanking as a warrior requires you to manage lots of abilities and cooldowns. You need to constantly be using shield block to proc revenge, you need to have beserker rage going all the time, you need to be able to manage using enraged regeneration and victory rush to help the healer. You have to worry about keeping thunderclap, 3 stacks of devastate/sunder armour, rend, and demoralizing shout on all the mobs you are tanking. You need to know when you should and should not be using shield wall. Combine that with the fact that you are using entirely different abilities depending on whether it is a single target pull or an AoE pull.

Pally tanking has very little ability management, and is a great class to learn tanking basics with. It allows you to focus more on the situation you are in and the pull you are doing than your ability cooldowns, I personally find pally tanking to be super boring, but it is 100% the class I would suggest learning tanking on.
    management

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By management

Paladins are the best tanks in the game right now. Holding aggro with a pally is actually quite easy compared to a warrior.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By McShank
    @Huey2k2 said:
    " @McShank said:
    " Warriors are easy to level and tanking with them is simple. Druids are easy to level and tank with.. Hunters can tank with their kiting abilities. Paladins are boring and overrated. all are goo choices.. except that pally one "
    You have never tanked anything serious have you?Warrior tanking is probably the least simple of them all. Pallies by far are the most simple tanking, you literally use 4 buttons. Tanking as a warrior requires you to manage lots of abilities and cooldowns. You need to constantly be using shield block to proc revenge, you need to have beserker rage going all the time, you need to be able to manage using enraged regeneration and victory rush to help the healer. You have to worry about keeping thunderclap, 3 stacks of devastate/sunder armour, rend, and demoralizing shout on all the mobs you are tanking. You need to know when you should and should not be using shield wall. Combine that with the fact that you are using entirely different abilities depending on whether it is a single target pull or an AoE pull.Pally tanking has very little ability management, and is a great class to learn tanking basics with. It allows you to focus more on the situation you are in and the pull you are doing than your ability cooldowns, I personally find pally tanking to be super boring, but it is 100% the class I would suggest learning tanking on. "
    I have tanked everything up to cataclysm raids.. I have tanked everything on hardmode up to cataclysm raids. I have used my warrior and Druid to tank everything there was to tank in vanilla, burning and wrath while only tanking thinks with a pally in wrath and all 3 are easy.. Pally makes me fall asleep. warrior makes me watch tv as i tank and druid makes me spam keyboard and watch tv as i spam the same few hotkeys that i use for each character.. You said above that you have to time everything with a  warrior tank.. Sure, you have to use shield wall at certain times and keep shouts up but honestly.. after knowing what each thing does you can just spam 1-10 on your keyboard during a fight and just hit a certain number when someone *enrages* or is about to do a big spell. Tanking is a joke in wow. Sure pallies have less to do when tanking but is it fun? no.. Is tanking as warrior more fun? a little just because theres more the 4 buttons. Is pally best tank? no, not by a long shot.. Best tank is determined on whose playing what and how they play that character with the gear they have. And your argument left out the bears which means you know nothing of the druid and shouldn't talk about tanking unless you have done so on each class. Pally is the easiest to tank if you know nothing of tanking but you do know stats and how they work.. druids are just as easy but take less time to figure out what stats since you dont need sheild's and just evasion and pure life.. simple eh?!? plus you only use like 4-5 spells on a druid.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By CL60
    @Huey2k2: Tanking is easily the easiest  thing to do in the game. Believe it or not DPS is the hardest thing in the game to do effectively.

1. Tanking
    2. Healing
    3. DPS

Easiest to hardest.

management

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By management

When you hit level 30 you get to dual specc your character so he can be both DPS and Tank.

In lvl 15 you can search for random group dungeon, the first dungeons are not hard at all and you should specc tank which is for a pally the protection tree. If you feel uncomfortable with just the tooltip in WoW you can check out one of the many basic guides for tanking. You will learn fast and have a great experience. It is not until heroic dungeons things get tricky really.

If you don't like tanking, you can either respecc or buy dual specc in lvl 30.

DPS and Tanking is so different from each other, so there is no point in going with one thing for the lvls you are supposed to learn the game and then change when things have gotten a bit tougher and you don't know what to do, since the skills you use as a class differ from what role you play and you get some of the most important abilities from your talent tree. 
    belaraphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By belaraphon
    I like Warrior tanks more than the others.

the trick to tanking is try not to become overwhelmed with all the things happening at once.  take a moment to understand what your buttons do and which situations you might use them in.  pull a few mobs outside a dungeon in tank spec and see what feels good.  Look for abilities that chain into others - like spreading rend around a group with thunderclap.  Also look for abilities that proc from talents and other abilities. 

tanking coming through practice. don;'t give up if you aren't that great out of the gate.
    71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By 71Ranchero
    @CL60 said:
    " @Huey2k2: Tanking is easily the easiest  thing to do in the game. Believe it or not DPS is the hardest thing in the game to do effectively.

1. Tanking
    2. Healing
    3. DPS

Easiest to hardest.

"
    HAHA.

DPS is not hard at all.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CL60
    @Atramentous said:

" @CL60 said:

" @Huey2k2: Tanking is easily the easiest  thing to do in the game. Believe it or not DPS is the hardest thing in the game to do effectively.
    1. Tanking
    2. Healing
    3. DPS

Easiest to hardest.

"
    HAHA.
    DPS is not hard at all.
    "
    Spoken like a shitty DPS. DPS is the hardest class in the game to be good at, it's simple as that.
    71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By 71Ranchero
    @CL60 said:
    " @Atramentous said:

" @CL60 said:

1. Tanking
    2. Healing
    3. DPS

Easiest to hardest.

"
    HAHA.
    DPS is not hard at all.
    "
    Spoken like a shitty DPS. DPS is the hardest class in the game to be good at, it's simple as that. "
    Correction. Spoken like a healer.

DPS is only hard when you play a class that is complicated like a rogue or a feral druid. Even then DPS is still a game, while tanking is a job and healing is an art. 

Anyone, absolutely anyone can be good at DPS. If your saying its hard to be above average, then I will agree with you but even that will get less and less as the game goes on.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CL60
    @Atramentous said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " @Atramentous said:

" @CL60 said:

1. Tanking
    2. Healing
    3. DPS

Easiest to hardest.

"
    HAHA.
    DPS is not hard at all.
    "
    Spoken like a shitty DPS. DPS is the hardest class in the game to be good at, it's simple as that. "

DPS is only hard when you play a class that is complicated like a rogue or a feral druid. Even then DPS is still a game, while tanking is a job and healing is an art. 

Anyone, absolutely anyone can be good at DPS. If your saying its hard to be above average, then I will agree with you but even that will get less and less as the game goes on.
    "
    Of course anyone can be good at DPS.. =/ when did I say they couldn't?. The fact still remains DPS is the hardest class in the game to get good at...
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By penguindust

I'll start by saying I haven't played in a couple of years, but I recall that controlled DPS can be quite challenging.  Laying down as much damage as you can without pulling the aggro off the tank is a real skill.  Anyway, back then I tried tanking with my pally but I didn't like it.  It just wasn't all that much fun, however tanking with my druid was very entertaining.  It's wasn't that hard, but you needed a good healer with you because, unlike a pally-tank there was no panic-button heal that I could hit that I can remember.  Have fun with whatever you choose and if you do tank, expect people to blame you first for the wipes. 

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By 71Ranchero
    @CL60 said:
    " @Atramentous said:
    " @CL60 said:
    " @Atramentous said:

" @CL60 said:

1. Tanking
    2. Healing
    3. DPS

Easiest to hardest.

"
    HAHA.
    DPS is not hard at all.
    "

"
    Of course anyone can be good at DPS.. =/ when did I say they couldn't?. The fact still remains DPS is the hardest class in the game to get good at... "
    Well I dont agree at all but this is off topic so whatever.

For tanking, go pally to learn the ropes and then go warrior when you want to be big time. They are all good though, just some are better at things that others arent. Definitely make a new character to be your tank though, learn from doing lowbie instances.
    IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By IBurningStar

Paladin tanking is the easiest for someone who is just starting out. There isn't a whole lot of difference between tanking multiple mobs and single ones. They also have a lot of abilities that hit multiple targets, making it easy to pick up aggro fast. You don't have to be as mindful of procs, dots, and other abilities. You also don't have to worry about managing things like rage and or runic power. If done right, mana isn't an issue.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By melcene
    @brandoncooper17: 

First let me say that I fully agree with the stuff that @Huey2k2: posted.

I have played a tank/healer pally, a healer priest, and a warlock all up into Cata, along with two other healers, one other tank, and a couple other dps that I played somewhat regularly.

On my dps'er and my healers, I always appreciated pally tanks the most above other tanks.  Their aggro management is normally far and above the other tank classes.

I have tried warrior tanking, DK tanking, and druid tanking, in addition to my pally.  I couldn't stand the warrior, and although the DK and druid were fun, I wasn't as confident in them in a group setting as I was in my pally tank.

As for this discussion on which role is easiest... I think that even, yes, good dps is the easiest role - unfortunately most dps'ers don't care enough to be good.  They're only interested in the numbers.  Or they're just dumb and think that numbers = good, despite the fact that the healer is blowing mana healing a DPSer, and the tank is running around trying to get back aggro.

Tanks and healers aren't difficult persay, but they're stressful, because in either role, you feel like it all comes down on you - and it does.
    71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By 71Ranchero
    @CL60 said:
    " @Atramentous: But it's not an opinion.. It's truth. Tanks and Healers are incredibly easy to play well. While with DPS you have to learn a lot more. I have an 85 healer, an 85 tank, and a 83ish DPS. "
    At 85, counting offspecs I have 2 tanks, 3 healers, and 5 dps. Honestly, preaching about how hard dps is wont work here. My main is a healer, but my dps offspec set is way better than my healing set because I get into it more. I know all about the finess it takes to get your gear tweaked just right, get your rotation down, and get your dps/threat ratio good. It still doesn't matter because its not very hard. Hell you have scrubs running around in pvp gear in heroics doing 15k. 
    ojdjeremiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ojdjeremiah
    @CL60:  i know this comment is late lmao but dps is not a class m8, it's a roll so saying that dps is the hardest class is wrong cause it's a roll, so ur argument should have been that = dps is the hardest roll to be good at. and telling a guy thats trying to figure out about tanking that dps is the hardest thing to do effectively, does not effectively answer his question homi. and thats a dumb statement dps, tanking, and healing is all hard to do effectively... think about it.... anyone can heal tank and dps by mashing buttons, but for all of these rolls, which takes the most comprehension right of the bat? Tank>heal>dps 1 inexperienced  dps in a normal dungeon wont wipe the group, an inexperienced tank most certainly will, and same for the healer. and sorry for late reply just found this site and CL60's comment just bugged the shit outa meh.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By CL60
    @ojdjeremiah said:
    @CL60:  i know this comment is late lmao but dps is not a class m8, it's a roll so saying that dps is the hardest class is wrong cause it's a roll, so ur argument should have been that = dps is the hardest roll to be good at. and telling a guy thats trying to figure out about tanking that dps is the hardest thing to do effectively, does not effectively answer his question homi. and thats a dumb statement dps, tanking, and healing is all hard to do effectively... think about it.... anyone can heal tank and dps by mashing buttons, but for all of these rolls, which takes the most comprehension right of the bat? Tank>heal>dps 1 inexperienced  dps in a normal dungeon wont wipe the group, an inexperienced tank most certainly will, and same for the healer. and sorry for late reply just found this site and CL60's comment just bugged the shit outa meh.
    What? I was very clearly talking about DPS classes in general. Obviously DPS isn't a class.. it's something you do in the game. When did I even state that it was a class? I've said the hardest to be effective with is a DPS class, which I still stand by.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.