Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

X Rebirth

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Nov 15, 2013

X Rebirth heralds more than just an additional chapter within the X series, it is a fresh beginning bringing with it a number of gameplay innovations without compromising its successful origins.

My inital thoughts

mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Thanks for the advice. It looked really fun / interesting. I just remember watching the other X games played by other people and had no idea what was happening. Ill probably look into this in a few months

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Giantstalker

Are there any capital ships you can buy or use? I need to know, that was my favorite part of the past X games...

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Capum15

Glad to see this isn't just pure vitriol like over on the Egosoft forums. Man, they pissed off a lot of folks.

Yeah, there's a sizable amount of jank in it and the menu is a bit odd to get used to for me, but the 1.5 hours I've spent in it seem alright. I like the system travel highways and just flying around space. Though I am terrible at shooting fast moving things with guns. I got my ass handed to me by those two drones in the story missions that serve as combat introduction. I can missile things to death though, so I just need to keep those stocked up.

Have you played with a controller? I saw a thread over there saying that the controls handle well with one.

How was setting up trade routes? Just in general, like how the AI handles it (well enough?). And lastly, have you captured a ship yet? I've read a lot about people not being able to fix them.

I'll probably play a bit more throughout the week, but I made the mistake of deciding to fire up Albion Prelude for the first time shortly before this, and I had just put in that X Remastered overhaul mod, and I am really wanting to head back into that.

Also, I grabbed the CE off steam and I absolutely love the two albums. All the songs are great.

Missacre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, I tried this game, and I think I'm just gonna wait for Star Citizen.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Capum15

@troll93: 'kay, so Giantbomb ate my post.

Basically, thanks a lot for that response. Trading seems different but functional, unlike a lot of rants I've seen. Going to need to bookmark or save that bit of info for later.

And yeah, capping ships seems like a large investment; I've read about some people having to grab 50 marines, and an officer or two, or more to get one caught.

Cool note on the controls part. I'm probably going to stick with M/KB, but I just wanted to know about a gamepad. Also looking forward to getting that gun.

And yeah, this seems like a multi-save game. I usually have multiple saves anyway when a game allows for it, like Mass Effect / Bethesda RPGs / X3 / etc.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Hrm, interesting some of the stuff you've said. I still don't like the whole manual trading thing...especially when you have to use other ships AND there isn't time compression AND those ships move slow as hell. I also felt like the game lacked a lot of commands for other ships. Like i couldn't even figure out how to tell one of my ships to move to a certain spot or sector. On the note of sectors, they're still pretty confusing to me, but that's just cause it's a new game and i'm not used to the map and how the sectors work.

There was a lot of stuff in the game that felt interesting but it also felt kinda janky and broken too. I fact, anytime i'd die the game would crash, or is that intended?
    I'll get back to it eventually after a few patches but for now i'm going to play albion prelude, which i never actually played. The hell is up with the story in the game? Why the hell did she suddenly blow up that huge station, and how did she even do that alone?

Roxxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

My last experience with Rebirth was ramming into a frigate, clipping through the model and getting stuck within the walls. I would like to see a QL for the hilarity.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I haven't played it very much, only a handful of hours. I'll let them release a few patches while I play other things and I'll get back to it.

The biggest issue for me so far has been the UI. Again. Egosoft is the absolute worst at designing user interfaces. Where's my gravidar? My situational awareness in combat is simply non existent without it. What the hell am I looking at when I pull up the map? How do I plot a course and where's the autopilot that can take me there while I view the sights with the exterior camera? Where's my exterior camera for that matter? Where are my keyboard shortcuts? How do I dock because Shift + D doesn't do anything? How do I match my target's speed? How do I configure my hardpoints into weapon groups? I do have more than one hardpoint on this ship, right?

It's just rife with usability problems. They really, really need to get someone on staff that knows what the hell they're doing in this department. I imagine people load this up, immediately hit a wall because of the UI and lack of decent tutorials, and never play the game again. That's a damn shame too because if you can push through it the underlying game really is one of the best space sims ever made. Or was one of the best anyway. I haven't played enough to know how Rebirth stacks up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.