anyone else notice this trend in newer fps?

Avatar image for xeros606
#1 Posted by Xeros606 (577 posts) -

why is looking up slower than looking left and right in new fps? ive noticed this in cod 4, ut3, bioshock, bf2: modern combat, but the worst has to be bad company. it wasnt always like this, halo 3 look speed for looking up is about the same.

Avatar image for shadowjak
#2 Posted by shadowjak (474 posts) -

Because gravity is pulling your head down.....? I have not ever noticed this.

Avatar image for xeros606
#3 Edited by Xeros606 (577 posts) -
shadowjak said:
"Because gravity is pulling your head down.....? I have not ever noticed this."
what games do you have? also what kind of display do you use?
Avatar image for eoco
#4 Posted by Eoco (88 posts) -

Hmmm, I haven't noticed this, but sometimes the sensitivity for X and Y axis movement is separate in the settings, so check the options menu - the default might have them set at different speeds.

Avatar image for blindeffekt
#5 Posted by BlindEffekt (920 posts) -

I havnt noticed this either. Could be just you?

Avatar image for xeros606
#6 Posted by Xeros606 (577 posts) -
BlindEffekt said:
"I havnt noticed this either. Could be just you?
"
try sniping in bad company or the demo.
Avatar image for blindeffekt
#7 Posted by BlindEffekt (920 posts) -

I own Battlefield Bad Company. As i said i dont notice it?
I dont know you could be right.

Avatar image for thatkiwiguy
#8 Posted by GiantBomber (391 posts) -

Isn't it just for that natural "Feel"??

Avatar image for shasam
#9 Posted by Shasam (494 posts) -

I haven't noticed this, but in most newer FPS's there will often be separate speed settings for the X and Y axis' in the options. So if it bothers you, try fiddling around with this, it may also be the cause.

Avatar image for strife88
#10 Posted by Strife88 (246 posts) -

They're starting to add a realistic feel to your character make it as close to the real thing. Anyways in combat you want to keep your head down so that explains it.

Avatar image for shadowjak
#11 Posted by shadowjak (474 posts) -
Strife88 said:
"They're starting to add a realistic feel to your character make it as close to the real thing. Anyways in combat you want to keep your head down so that explains it.
"

Very true about the head down thing. But I still never noticed this before.
Avatar image for strife88
#12 Posted by Strife88 (246 posts) -
shadowjak said:
"Strife88 said:
"They're starting to add a realistic feel to your character make it as close to the real thing. Anyways in combat you want to keep your head down so that explains it.
"

Very true about the head down thing. But I still never noticed this before."
You'll notice it right away when you play Bad Company, even when you sprint. A lot of people hate it, but I think it's a good change.
Avatar image for shadowjak
#13 Edited by shadowjak (474 posts) -
Strife88 said:
"shadowjak said:
"Strife88 said:
"They're starting to add a realistic feel to your character make it as close to the real thing. Anyways in combat you want to keep your head down so that explains it.
"

Very true about the head down thing. But I still never noticed this before."
You'll notice it right away when you play Bad Company, even when you sprint. A lot of people hate it, but I think it's a good change.
"
I mever tried Bad Company. I heard it was a mix of CoD4 and Frontlines: Fuel of War, so it didn't really interest me because it sounded like yet another clone >_>
Avatar image for blindeffekt
#14 Posted by BlindEffekt (920 posts) -

Its surprisingly good. I was a little skeptical at first

Avatar image for mscortana
#15 Posted by MsCortana (445 posts) -

Yeah, I can't say I have experience your particular issue.  Although, I will be paying attention next time I put a shooter in my console. :D

Avatar image for magusmaleficus
#16 Posted by MagusMaleficus (1152 posts) -

I think I know what you mean by the head thing, but it doesn't bother me. You try lugging around about a hundred pounds worth of weaponry and miscellaneous equipment into a battlefield, and you tell me how easy it is to whip your head up and down--whilst being shot at it, no less.

Avatar image for xeros606
#17 Posted by Xeros606 (577 posts) -
MagusMaleficus said:
"I think I know what you mean by the head thing, but it doesn't bother me. You try lugging around about a hundred pounds worth of weaponry and miscellaneous equipment into a battlefield, and you tell me how easy it is to whip your head up and down--whilst being shot at it, no less."
what? one of the games im thinking of is ut3, which makes no attempt at realism, besides the presence of gravity and dismemberment. maybe its just because im using an sdtv...
Avatar image for x3ar
#18 Posted by x3ar (240 posts) -

most games you dont need to look up that much and if you do it usally lets you change it

Avatar image for vash108
#19 Posted by Vash108 (187 posts) -

You should be able to fix that in options on the sensitivity.

Avatar image for blacksuitandtie9
#20 Posted by BlackSuitAndTie9 (293 posts) -

Your controller could just be messed up. In most games you can adjust the look sensitivity, which I usually do. My look sensitivity in Halo 3 is 9, and I think COD4 is on 8. It helps a lot for multiplayer for your reaction time to people shooting at you.

Avatar image for lightyagami245
#21 Posted by LightYagami245 (1161 posts) -
Eoco said:
"Hmmm, I haven't noticed this, but sometimes the sensitivity for X and Y axis movement is separate in the settings, so check the options menu - the default might have them set at different speeds."
I would say Eoco's answer.
Avatar image for subway
#22 Posted by Subway (982 posts) -

Actually I noticed this a lot with BattleField, I thought it was kinda weird too, didn't take me long to get used to though.

Avatar image for gumbieuk
#23 Posted by GumbieuK (131 posts) -

It only slows down when zoomed in down the iron sights. Bad Company is the worst trying to snipe a moving target is a pure pain in the ASS!!

Avatar image for origina1penguin
#24 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3523 posts) -
Eoco said:
"Hmmm, I haven't noticed this, but sometimes the sensitivity for X and Y axis movement is separate in the settings, so check the options menu - the default might have them set at different speeds."

Sometimes in competitive PC gaming, players will write a script to have this effect as well.  It makes it easier to keep your aim at headshot level.  If the map is mostly level ground, it helps a lot.
Avatar image for joeltgm
#26 Edited by JoelTGM (5784 posts) -

I like it better that way.  Unless people are jumping and flying, you don't have to look up that much.  In some games when you turn, it starts off slow and then speeds up, but when you look up or down it just stops when you look up or down too far and never gets a chance to speed up.

Avatar image for lightyagami245
#27 Posted by LightYagami245 (1161 posts) -
SpikeSpiegel said:
"I don't really notice stuff like that but it wouldn't surprise me if they are trying to make it more real.
"
Good point. But by making an fps more realistic, it annoys the player?
Avatar image for nezze00
#28 Posted by nezze00 (153 posts) -

I mostly play pc games and both are the same :]. I have noticed it on consoles though.

Avatar image for potzergaeren
#29 Posted by potzergaeren (101 posts) -

an interesting observation, and may help explain why my neck keeps hurting when i play bioshock.

Avatar image for dachef
#30 Posted by Dachef (113 posts) -

I've never noticed it in Bad Company. You may want to check your settings.

Avatar image for nibbz
#31 Posted by Nibbz (233 posts) -

i only noticed it in UT3

Avatar image for vinchenzo
#32 Posted by Vinchenzo (6463 posts) -

I assume it's to help you center up your shot when going for precision kills. I haven't noticed it though.

Avatar image for wolverine
#33 Posted by Wolverine (4640 posts) -

I never really noticed this but now thinking about it your right. I wonder why.

Avatar image for raiden36o
#34 Edited by Raiden36O (128 posts) -

its because in the game your enemies are generally on an even plain with u so having ur aim twiching up and down would just get enoying, especially on the controller where your aim movement isn't as precise as on a mouse and keyboard. Its set to defualt like that on most console shooters ive played, but most of them also let u change it.

Avatar image for darkido07
#35 Posted by DARKIDO07 (926 posts) -
shadowjak said:
"Strife88 said:
"shadowjak said:
"Strife88 said:
"They're starting to add a realistic feel to your character make it as close to the real thing. Anyways in combat you want to keep your head down so that explains it.
"

Very true about the head down thing. But I still never noticed this before."
You'll notice it right away when you play Bad Company, even when you sprint. A lot of people hate it, but I think it's a good change.
"
I mever tried Bad Company. I heard it was a mix of CoD4 and Frontlines: Fuel of War, so it didn't really interest me because it sounded like yet another clone >_>
"
If anything Call of Duty 4 is a clone of Battlefield 2.....
Avatar image for jnerd
#36 Posted by jNerd (2194 posts) -

Even if yall haven't noticed it, he's correct. I don't know why but I know he's right... it could be that the gun weighs more against gravity when you're lifting it & it could be because you need it to be more sensitive when moving on the Y axis so it's slower for more precision.

Avatar image for lethalki11ler
#37 Posted by LethalKi11ler (1665 posts) -
Eoco said:
"Hmmm, I haven't noticed this, but sometimes the sensitivity for X and Y axis movement is separate in the settings, so check the options menu - the default might have them set at different speeds."
  I think he's got the answer
Avatar image for logson
#38 Posted by logson (538 posts) -

It's a matter of adapting FPS' for game pads. They speed up rotation so you aren't entirely screwed when something/someone is behind you.

Avatar image for disabilityfishy
#39 Posted by DisAbiLityFisHy (1155 posts) -

Noticed it in BF:BC, but not in any other game... hmm... interesting, thanks for pointing that out, maybe now ReTarDedFisHy has another thing to complain about.

Avatar image for tancred8120
#40 Posted by tancred8120 (102 posts) -

I have noticed it but it isn't a huge issue

Avatar image for sentry
#41 Posted by Sentry (4198 posts) -

I think all games should have a sensitivity option for up and down, as well as left and right... instead of one sensitivity for both.

Avatar image for spiredcrescent7
#42 Posted by SpiredCrescent7 (81 posts) -

I have noticed this and wondered the same thing, in most games where there is a significant difference there usually is a setting

Avatar image for vinchenzo
#43 Posted by Vinchenzo (6463 posts) -

I for one noticed a difference between games like Call of Duty 4 and BC. The aiming is very awkward to me for BC, but fine for CoD4.

Avatar image for ghil
#44 Posted by Ghil (241 posts) -

I never noticed this but I'll be sure to check it out next time I play Bad Company ;)

Avatar image for hungry_bunny
#45 Posted by Hungry_bunny (423 posts) -

I noticed it, I think it's cool... for some reason it feels more realistic. It takes more effort to move your body back and forth then left or right.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.